Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which style of refrigerator do you prefer?
Side-by-side 20 28.57%
bottom freezer 45 64.29%
really do not care 5 7.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 AM

45 posts, read 294,127 times

Advertisements

I ordered the Samsung 28 CU French Door refrigerator from Bestbuy over labor day..... wife is EXCITED to get it!! The space is mind blowing.. didnt know how we lived this long without one!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I've got a Maytag french door/bottom freezer unit. I do like it but for one thing: the built in ice maker. It's in one of the refrigerator doors, with the icemaking compartment up in the corner of the fridge. It doesn't work well - the icemaker constantly jams. I think it's because the warmer fridge that surrounds the ice maker causes the cubes to be warm enough that they all stick together.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,754 times
Bottom freezer, for sure. Also, get a unit with two compressors - one for frig & one for freezer. Way more efficient.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,287 times
I've had both....and I prefer the freezer on the bottom. The freezer section on my side by sides (I've had two) have been very slender and was hard to fit a large quantity of food in. The bottom freezer was a better use of space.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:09 PM

212 posts, read 699,797 times
Never had a sideby side.I see my friends who have them and they can't store the remnants of a big pan of lasagna without a lot of replating work.Fridge and freezer not useful.I thought they were cool because of the ice water/cube dispenser.Not worth it at all.
French doors do look cool.Lots of energy loss with the seal.An ice maker should be in the top freezer because i said so.lol.Ice maker in fridge?,...ridiculous!!!
A big top freezer/bottom fridge is what nature intended.Frozen food not so much a good thing.Being able to put a case of beer in the freezer,a big birthday cake in the fridge,and get in shape by putting cubes in the glasses,....priceless.
Black is the new stainless.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:39 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
We have a side by side that is extra deep and even that isn't enough room to store much of anything. The freezer space is dismal-we have an upright freezer so that helps. The only advantage to the side by side was the ice/water in the door but they now make those in the bottom freezer models so that takes that issue away. The bottom freezer models are so much easier to use and the freezers now have so many options with baskets, etc. that finding stuff in them isn't difficult.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:43 PM

754 posts, read 1,922,641 times
I have the French door/bottom freezer profile also. The Profiles are cabinet depth so they do not protrude into your kitchen as much and look nice in a small area. As we entertain alot, the space is incredible. We can put full size platters in the fridge and it makes such a difference. Love it!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
We've had a side-by-side and really didn't like it. Absolutely no room in the freezer, even though it was a huge unit.

We now have a bottom-freezer model and really like it. Ours is a model where the freezer rolls out, not just where a door opens.

It's an absolute no-brainer for me. We'll never again have a side-by-side.
Same here!! I thought the side by side was so wonderful when I bought it and then realized you couldn't even put a frozen pizza in the dang thing! I ended up hating it.

After I sold the house, and LEFT it behind, I ended up with a top freezer that is really nice, but I think a bottom freezer would be even better.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:25 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I loved my old top freezer but when we replaced our appliances I couldn't find a good one. I now have a counter-depth side by side that I knew I was going to have to get used to...and I have. I went out of my way to get one that DIDN'T have a thru the door water/ice despenser so there is more room in the freezer than most side by sides. I do like the ice maker though, that was something new for me . Bottom freezers hurt my back just looking at them, even though I really like the french door fridge part.
Growing up my mom had a full size single door refrigerator (no freezer) and a full size single door freezer next to it. It was like having a giagantic side by side and is the perfect set up if you have the space.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
We actaully have two refigerators and one frezer.Not sure why sometimes but we like teh side by side for the main kitchen. My mother i l;aw has a LG dual comressorwith a ice maker and loves it. i loking at it thing that the qaulity looks better than satndardespecaily shelfs and it feed the best I've seen with the ice maker. She ahs had it three years how;zero problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House