Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 16,041 times

Advertisements

What about a strobe light?I have 2 I bought for Halloween and only works on sound and movement and I want to keep them on all the time.What do I do to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori N View Post
What about a strobe light?I have 2 I bought for Halloween and only works on sound and movement and I want to keep them on all the time.What do I do to make it work.
Over-ride the sensor.
Of course, knowing exactly what you got would help.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM

There are 2 brown wires that goes to the sensor if I cut them would it not work anymore?Im sorry I dont know too much about re wiring things.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Don't know, depends on how it's wired.
Post some pics

Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM

How do you post pictures on here and I will?

Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Take a picture with a digital camera. Load it onto your computer. Open an account on photobucket. Upload your picture to photobucket. Copy the URL link for the picture in photobucket. Hit quote here on CD. Click on the image button above the reply box here, it has a yellow sky and a mountain. Copy the URL in the box that pops up. Hit enter key. Then hit rely button. Your picture will appear in your post.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Duct tape (several layers) over the sensor also works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Put a piece of electrical tape over the sensor?
You both may be thinking of a photosensor light. Which turns the light on when the sensor is covered (no daylight is detected).

Doesn't a motion detector work differently? Turns the light on when it detects fluctuations (movement) in the light it is receiving. In which case covering the motion detector will keep the light turned off all of the time, as it would never detect anything.

HowStuffWorks "How do motion sensing lights and burglar alarms work?"

Old 10-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Ok thank you so much I will try and see if I can upload a picture on here.I just dont want to go and buy any more lights if I can get this to work.I have tried the tape and it didn work so I think I may just have to rewire it .

Old 10-03-2015, 03:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
My front door light is motion sensor activated. The actual motion sensor is built into the base of the light fixture. Is there a way I can do away with the motion sensor part of it ? The light controls do not have the option to turn it off. What I really want to do is keep it on at all times.....I like light at night.
the sensor light saves you money in electricity and bulbs; why do you want to change? Mine work fine and give me all the light I want. I have a big yard and the spotlight hits the shed 100 ft from the house if I walk near the sensor.

You can remove the sensor from the circuit. White[common], black[hot] and green[ground] should be your only concerns.

You can find a million how to videos on YT about anything, including your problem.

I would suggest going to Home Depot or Lowe's and picking up a cheap no frills replacement fixture as you seem to lack any knowledge of such.

Here are some ideas Shop Outdoor Lighting and Light Fixtures - Lamps Plus

Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
For us NON electricians it would be easier to just replace it for a few dollars...

It's easier to rewire it. I can tell you which wires to cut and splice together and save you a few bucks if you wish.

Kill the breaker supplying power to that circuit. Check to see if light stays off

Pull fixture.
Look at the link.
Do you see where the motion is? Do you see the single black wire on right and the two black wires on left with orange lead? Disconnect them from the sensor completely by undoing the wirenuts and put the single black to the two blacks on left by using a wire it to connect them. You bypassed the motion. Your light will now only turn on form the wall switch. Cap off the leftover black/orange wires going to the motion sensor. Screw it back on the wall
Don't touch the green/bare copper wire or the white wire. The white may be a shared neutral that's why you don't take it apart.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...836b6f01ee.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House