Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You started it by jumping on my post and making assumptions, I was merely pointing out the fact that someone was compassionate enough to donate their old cabinets to the less fortunate, you went off like a horse in the gate at the Derby, sheesh!
I was in the thrift store buying a chandelier for myself, like I said, I thought it was wonderful!
I NEVER said anything about your house, stop trying to put words in my mouth.
Actually you jumped on my post and took it personally. I never said anything about your house either, I was merely making a point that old cabinets can be functional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You always seem to miss some things I say. Maybe you just don't want to believe it. While you may be a little correct in saying 25 year old cabinets may not be junk the facts are they are functionally inefficient. They really are incorrectly called cabinets. They really are just painted wooden boxes to store things.....which seems to fit the function many desire.

Nothing made 25 years ago is made well. Perhaps if you were to really look at construction techniques and know what you were looking at you might see what I am saying. What I mean is this: 25 years ago there were only 2 cabinet companies who mass produced standardized cabinet boxes. So most builders hired a carpenter to build boxes right in place and gave him a stack of plywood to do it. No solid stock wood. Just plywood. These are not cabinets. They hang cleats on the wall, cut one length floor, one length shelf and lay the last sheet of plywood on the face. Now they cut out the holes where the door goes. Then another clown came in and sprayed them. That is what they called cabinets 25 years ago. I call them painted wooden boxes.

They were not functional and it puzzles me how anyone can say they are when they are not. Hell most of them were built with wooden drawer slides. Paint can not cure that. Old cabinets stink too. Ever smell one on the insides? I love wood but old wood smells really bad.

Thanks for agreeing on not going to the big orange who only wants your little green. I always harp on that because I don't want people to get ripped off.
I don't miss anything, I just am not seeing the same things here that you are seeing there. Maybe these cabinets you are seeing are in the older mass-produced inexpensive homes in your area. But in more upscale or well-built homes here the cabinets are mostly well built solid wood units. Not sure if they were custom built on site or not but they still function well enough. Also their construction is pretty good. I see dovetailed drawers and solid construction so I am not sure why you think they aren't any good. Again this is probably a regional thing.

As for smelly wood cabinets, I am not sure what you are smelling but it could probably be corrected with a good cleaning and some paint.

I agree that people really need to shop around. They should not assume that HB or Lowes will give them the lowest price. I haven't seen it. Jay

Old 10-02-2009, 11:30 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Yeah and so??? am I missing your point?? Does that mean they didn't function? Let's see I lived in that house for 14 years and they functioned just fine. Do I wish everyone in my neighborhood had gutted and remodeled their kitchens 20 years ago so it would have been perfect and prettier for me? Maybe but then I would have paid more when I bought it. Just like if I had torn them out, our buyer would have had to pay more and with this market I think we were smarter leaving them be and guess what the house sold with those old junk cabinets

It's kinda obvious with you stating you're an ID that you would want people to gut, but really that doesn't negate the fact that I lived just fine for years with those wood cabinets and they weren't particle board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Actually you jumped on my post and took it personally. I never said anything about your house either, I was merely making a point that old cabinets can be functional.
Then what do you call the first quote? Defensive much?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:43 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,052 times
Quote:
Not a big fan of the band-aid solution myself, but if the OP is gonna do it, he should at least get advice for the correct paint!
Quote:
Talking about old cabinets.....when we bought this house, the cabinets were not even plywood, they were pressboard with a paper finish, cant correct ANYTHING about that!
Quote:
I see old cabinets like that at the Humanity For Habitatat thrift store all the time......
Quote:
What was really horrific was the fact tht the doors under the sinks had gotten wet and swelled, I couldnt get the cabinets outta there fast enough!

Quote:
Then what do you call the first quote? Defensive much?
I was defending the functionality of old cabinets something I took you to be mostly disagreeing with. When you quoted my comment with stating you see them down at habitat you gave no other explanation, so it seemed sarcastic to me. Also the fact that you seemed to be agreeing with everything Desert said about cabinets, and he is clear he doesn't find them functional >> well there you have it.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:53 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You always seem to miss some things I say. Maybe you just don't want to believe it. While you may be a little correct in saying 25 year old cabinets may not be junk the facts are they are functionally inefficient. They really are incorrectly called cabinets. They really are just painted wooden boxes to store things.....which seems to fit the function many desire.

Nothing made 25 years ago is made well. Perhaps if you were to really look at construction techniques and know what you were looking at you might see what I am saying. What I mean is this: 25 years ago there were only 2 cabinet companies who mass produced standardized cabinet boxes. So most builders hired a carpenter to build boxes right in place and gave him a stack of plywood to do it. No solid stock wood. Just plywood. These are not cabinets. They hang cleats on the wall, cut one length floor, one length shelf and lay the last sheet of plywood on the face. Now they cut out the holes where the door goes. Then another clown came in and sprayed them. That is what they called cabinets 25 years ago. I call them painted wooden boxes.

They were not functional and it puzzles me how anyone can say they are when they are not. Hell most of them were built with wooden drawer slides. Paint can not cure that. Old cabinets stink too. Ever smell one on the insides? I love wood but old wood smells really bad.

Thanks for agreeing on not going to the big orange who only wants your little green. I always harp on that because I don't want people to get ripped off.
What the heck are you talking about?? 25 year old cabinets aren't even cabinets? You need a dictionary. Not functional?? What does that mean? The doors open and close, the drawers slide in and out, the shelves hold the items as they are supposed to, they are CABINETS. I guess if you were a lighting salesman you would say that 25 year old fixtures aren't fixtures at all and if you were a flooring salesman that 25 year old wood flooring isn't even really flooring, etc.

Old wood stinks? You're nuts. I've been in plenty of houses with wood cabinets, wood trim, wooden doors, window frames, wooden floors and the wood doesn't stink just because it is a 25 year old house. The STUDS are wooden and I don't care what kind of interior wall surface you have if the studs were stinky you would smell it all over the house. Now I can see that cabinets that are allowed to get wet or not cleaned properly would stink but otherwise they should not. Wood does not stink just because it is old.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:49 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
But in more upscale or well-built homes here the cabinets are mostly well built solid wood units.
Not even. My mom's house -- not upscale or fancy in the least; just a plain ol' 1950s ranch -- has solid pine cabinets; all her neighbors' kitchens also have solid wood, mostly oak or maple, cabinets.

Sixty years old, and they're still in great shape. Imagine that.

Quote:
Not sure if they were custom built on site or not but they still function well enough.
Yeah. If the doors open and close, the shelves are level, and the drawers don't fall out when you put stuff in them ... now that's what I call functional.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not even. My mom's house -- not upscale or fancy in the least; just a plain ol' 1950s ranch -- has solid pine cabinets; all her neighbors' kitchens also have solid wood, mostly oak or maple, cabinets.

But aren't they stinky??

Old 10-02-2009, 03:14 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

Do not listen to people who say painted cabinets look bad.
And some of them are in the business of selling new kitchens.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Do not listen to people who say painted cabinets look bad. They look fine if the quality of the paint job is good.
Do not listen to people who know nothing about construction or kitchen design.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:54 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Yeah. If the doors open and close, the shelves are level, and the drawers don't fall out when you put stuff in them ... now that's what I call functional.
That is great. The builder must have been good since he bothered to put in quality materials. I love some of the old pine cabinets that were used 60 years ago. They may not be "stylish" by today's standards but they usually have a charm about them. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House