Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM

2,117 posts, read 4,152,058 times

Advertisements

Have you considered painting the appliances black? There are lots of black accents already. Something to consider maybe down the road? Those cabinets are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,025,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Have you considered painting the appliances black? There are lots of black accents already. Something to consider maybe down the road? Those cabinets are great!
OK, now you've done it. Desertsun is going to read this and his head will turn about 10 shades of flaming red before he goes into all sorts of reasons why this is wrong. I can hardly wait to see it.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM

244 posts, read 1,224,176 times
We painted our 70s cabinets cause we plan to do a whole remodel down the road, but the cabinets were so dark and outdated that we decided on a mini makeover till get ME thru! We went with white, choc brown counters, a tan paint on the wall and new chrome handles and cherry colored hard wood floors. I LOVE the way it turned out and I can totally live with it for a few years

Old 10-11-2009, 02:39 PM

244 posts, read 1,224,176 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...hen-before.jpg
BEFORE

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...les-floors.jpg
New paint and counters, but before handles

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ew-handles.jpg
New Handles

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ew-handles.jpg
New Brazilian Cherry Wood floors

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...new-floors.jpg
Also painted the dark door till we get a new one...it brightened it up alot!

Old 10-11-2009, 02:51 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Do not listen to people who know nothing about construction or kitchen design.
You are saying that because something is old, it is junk, functionally obsolete, and not worth saving. Poster after poster here has disagreed with you and pointed out quality construction techniques being used in mid-century homes and even older homes. I have pointed out to you more than once that my cabinets, while 52 years old and painted white, are perfectly solid and functional.

You design kitchens for a living, which implies that your customers need/want new cabinets. So it is possible to say that you have an agenda, which is to persuade anyone who asks that any cabinet that you did not sell them is garbage. Personally I think you damage your credibility here by constantly criticizing any kitchen remodel or remodeling idea that does not involve tearing the room back to the walls and replacing all cabinetry. It is wasteful, expensive, and for many people, completely unnecessary.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
You are saying that because something is old, it is junk, functionally obsolete, and not worth saving. Poster after poster here has disagreed with you and pointed out quality construction techniques being used in mid-century homes and even older homes. I have pointed out to you more than once that my cabinets, while 52 years old and painted white, are perfectly solid and functional.

You design kitchens for a living, which implies that your customers need/want new cabinets. So it is possible to say that you have an agenda, which is to persuade anyone who asks that any cabinet that you did not sell them is garbage. Personally I think you damage your credibility here by constantly criticizing any kitchen remodel or remodeling idea that does not involve tearing the room back to the walls and replacing all cabinetry. It is wasteful, expensive, and for many people, completely unnecessary.
So what is your agenda? Saving money? Doing things half azz to save a penny? Just doing the minimum just to get by? It's good enough for you and who cares how bad it looks? Leave it alone Greekman. I dont care what you do to your home. But when some one asks advice I give expert advice. If you dont want expert advice then go to Walmart. Their profit marjins thrive on cheapies.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
Or, go to someone who does a good job and gives you what you want and doesn't think that their personal taste is the only one that's right. Nothing worse than an opinionated professional who thinks their preferences in taste are the only ones that are "right". (Nothing worse than an opinionated PERSON who does same, for that matter, but at least you're not paying them for the privilege.)

Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM

309 posts, read 1,207,955 times
Default Painting kitchen cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillthink4u View Post
Hi,
we were thinking about painting our 25 year old kitchen cabinets instead of spending 5k-10k for new ones...

they are in good shape and actually look really good. they are light brown (butterscotch) in color and have the wood patterns (natural).

i was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so, any pictures of the before/after?

Cheers.
e

GREETINGS,
I have painted my old cabinets and just love them. Prep is everything. Strip it down to bare wood, clean it off and sand it and clean that back off. Water works as well as any paint cleaner ( to save monies) just dont soak the wood. When it is dry, you can paint designs if you want on them, put a good coating of polyurethane on it. This also comes in a spray and you can lightly sand it between coatings. I would do one really good one or 2. Also if you dont like the job you did, you an easily strip again. Last till you want to redo them.
I had baby breaths with baby roses intwined on mine. Stencils are great also. Any lowes or on line will have patterns you can follow to save monies also.
It all depends on your patience to do it right.

Be Blessed

Old 10-11-2009, 05:55 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So what is your agenda? Saving money? Doing things half azz to save a penny? Just doing the minimum just to get by? It's good enough for you and who cares how bad it looks? Leave it alone Greekman. I dont care what you do to your home. But when some one asks advice I give expert advice. If you dont want expert advice then go to Walmart. Their profit marjins thrive on cheapies.
I do not have an agenda, I just happen to disagree with you. Please learn the difference. I know you think my kitchen is probably cheap crappy plywood, but it isn't. It would cost a ridiculous amount of money to replace these cabinets with ones of equal quality to the ones I already have. There is no point in replacing them, unless I want my house to look like a flimsy tract home in the boonies or wanted to drop tens of thousands of dollars needlessly. If I wanted a flimsy tract house, believe me I would have bought that kind of house (and saved tens of thousands of dollars in the process).

You are getting peoples' backs up by saying that old automatically equals crap. If the only "expert" advice you can give is to constantly criticize my house and call it "cheap", "crap", etc. then please save it.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,510,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or, go to someone who does a good job and gives you what you want and doesn't think that their personal taste is the only one that's right. Nothing worse than an opinionated professional who thinks their preferences in taste are the only ones that are "right". (Nothing worse than an opinionated PERSON who does same, for that matter, but at least you're not paying them for the privilege.)
Your opinion is quite worthless. What did you ever offer to this thread? What did you ever offer the home improvement or design forums? I know, nothing. You took the words right out of my mouth.
The difference is you give opinions and argue with everyone. I give facts. Ya learn something every day. The hard part is to remember what you learned. Try harder next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House