Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:49 AM

204 posts, read 683,743 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we were thinking about painting our 25 year old kitchen cabinets instead of spending 5k-10k for new ones...

they are in good shape and actually look really good. they are light brown (butterscotch) in color and have the wood patterns (natural).

i was wondering if anyone has ever done this and if so, any pictures of the before/after?

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Iwillthink: You can not paint cabinets. You can but that dont mean it's right. People paint plastic, glass, asphault roof shingles and even the grass in their front lawn but that dont make it right.

If your kitchen is 25 years old it is not in good shape. If nothing else it is 2 decades obselete. Maybe you dont have to spend as much money as you think unless you go to the big orange who only wants your little green and are damn good at taking it.

Instead find your local small showroom who offers free design service and offers from 35 to 50% off list price. Many to most out there do today or they would not be in business in this economic depression.

I suspect even half your guesstimate is to much though. I can not advise you to paint cabinets. They will look horrible and only slightly passable if professionally done. And do not consider refacing either. Refacing cost much much more then brand new cabinets any day any time any place. Refacing is like putting a brand newly pressed suit and tie on a dirty unwashed man wearing worn sneakers....and he still has dirty pockets.

You may intend to stay put in your home but keep in mind that home buyers will walk right away from an obselete kitchen under the disquise of paint. Realtors will not even show them when there are other homes with modern kitchens. It's all about the dollar.

Good luck

Old 09-30-2009, 03:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
It can be done, but at the end, they're just that - painted cabinets. Without stripping off the varnish, the paint would just lay on the surface, hiding the woodgrain that makes it look natural.

Much better looking results will come from sanding off the varnish first, applying a wood stain (not paint), and then varnishing them again. But for all the work, perhaps look into new cabinets? ...

Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
Painted cabinets can look fabulous if done correctly but it is a lot of work. Years ago when we had a large family and little money for kitchen remodeling, we stripped our cabinets, sanded and put a high quality oil based paint on them - it took a long time but they looked great - I say go for it!

Old 09-30-2009, 04:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
When I did mine I stripped, sanded, stained and finished with polyurethane. It's a lot of work.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Sure you can paint them ;just as you can paint woodwork that was varnished. The prep ois the key. Remove all hard ware and doors. Skufff the varnish well for a mechanical bond. The use sanding prep to clean and slight make the surface tacky. Use a oil based primer and paint. Let dry a few days then rehang doors and add hardware.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:45 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,808,379 times
They will look good and hold up well if you spray them with an acrylic paint. You can rent a sprayer, or higher someone to do the work.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
They will look good and hold up well if you spray them with an acrylic paint. You can rent a sprayer, or higher someone to do the work.
Actually, if the OP is going to go to all the trouble and work, acrylic is NOT the way to go, oil based enamel would be much better.
It is an ENORMOUS amount of work to do correctly, I think I would at least get an estimate for new cabinets, and NOT use a big-box store getting that estimate.....

Old 09-30-2009, 08:04 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Actually, if the OP is going to go to all the trouble and work, acrylic is NOT the way to go, oil based enamel would be much better.
It is an ENORMOUS amount of work to do correctly, I think I would at least get an estimate for new cabinets, and NOT use a big-box store getting that estimate.....
You are correct again. All these money saving ideas people come up with to put band-aids on things that need replacing kinda fasinate me.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You are correct again. All these money saving ideas people come up with to put band-aids on things that need replacing kinda fasinate me.
Not a big fan of the band-aid solution myself, but if the OP is gonna do it, he should at least get advice for the correct paint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House