Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 12:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times

Advertisements

Well, the installer never showed up today. I called the owner demanding that he find out where they are at and to call me right back. The owner never called back. I left to work....called the owner again and left a voicemail demanding my deposit back due to incorrectly sized windowws, breach of contract (work was not completed in 4-6 weeks as laid out in contract) and the fact that installers never showed up on time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,800 times
I think the gap of the window to the frame or window jamb is too much. If there is no backing then the rain will enter your home if its windy. For door to door jamb the standard gap is only 3.175mm or 1/8 inch. 1/2 inch for window is too much. maybe we need a gap equal to the door's standard. thank you

albert a. tabaco

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Note that in older homes the openings for the windows many not be "square" and may not be "level". So when installing new windows, it is good if there is a bit of leeway all around so you can scoot the bottom this way and scoot the top the other way to make the new window level.

Also old 2x4's (studs) are not always straight. They may bow a bit.

The worst cases are when trying to install new sliding glass doors or French doors. It can be a royal pain if the opening is not square.

Anyway a gap is a good thing! I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 03-03-2014, 08:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,288,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Note that in older homes the openings for the windows many not be "square" and may not be "level". So when installing new windows, it is good if there is a bit of leeway all around so you can scoot the bottom this way and scoot the top the other way to make the new window level.

Also old 2x4's (studs) are not always straight. They may bow a bit.

The worst cases are when trying to install new sliding glass doors or French doors. It can be a royal pain if the opening is not square.

Anyway a gap is a good thing! I wouldn't worry about it...
That's why it's called a ROUGH opening!

You do realize this thread is almost 5 years old?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,282,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
That's why it's called a ROUGH opening!

You do realize this thread is almost 5 years old?
Doh! I try to catch those, but didn't look this time...

Old 09-07-2014, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,617 times
Default Gaps in Replacement Windows

Last week a window contractor installed one of two front replacement windows -- about 2 1/2' X 6' -- but left gaps on the inside of 1 1/2" on each side, 1/2" on the bottom and 1 5/8" at the top. No shims were used. Outside, the gaps were 5/8" - 3/4".

The installer and salesman phoned the manager to say the windows were too small so the latter authorized the ordering of new windows as I was not willing to accept a 10% discount to keep them as is. The installer tried to order new (North Star) windows the following day but ran into problems with the computer ordering program, saying it would not allow him to order them any bigger than 1/4" wider on each side.

The manager visited my home the following Wednesday and declared that the window installation was normal and he would NOT send for new ones that fit. I requested windows that were 9/16" wider on each side and he said North Star could, indeed, make them, and that they would fit, but that they were not needed as they had made no errors in measuring. He was belligerent and bullying -- I am a senior lady alone -- and kept badgering me with tech talk about why I was wrong and he was right.

I took him on a tour of the neighbourhood -- several houses are identical to mine -- and showed him that none of the outside gaps were more than 3/8" and the majority were much less. As he did earlier, he dismissed or challenged everything I said.

He suggested a haywire job -- wider casings on the inside and using a length of the 1/2" wide sill material on the outside to fill the 5/8" - 3/4" gap. I feel this will be unsightly. I paid for windows that fit and still want new windows ordered.

I have spoken to other professionals who are appalled and ashamed that someone like this is in their industry. One said the windows were "blatantly mismeasured." Another said that he sure hopes it gets resolved to my satisfaction as he doesn't want such shoddiness in his profession; makes the others look bad.

This may end up in court. I have paid $1560 -- 1/3 of the $4450 (with tax) job for four windows. There were problems with the other windows, too. I have the power of the purse strings but I dread any type of conflict and I feel my health could be affected if this drawn out for months; small claims court can be a huge mess and could take 6 months before it's resolved, said my sister-in-law who works for a law office as a paralegal.

What are my best options here? I have contacted a lot of professionals for help but it's a waiting game. I should be putting out suggestions to the manager and trying to resolve this:

a) He can get full payment only by reordering new windows.
b) I will accept the haywire fix if he charges 25% less for the whole job (said another installer today but now the manager thinks there's no error so why should he offer a discount?).
c) He finishes the job on the other two windows (one had a jam 2" too short because the side of the house is 6 1/2" thick while all he measured was the 4 1/2" front door), I pay him for them and we part ways after which I will get another company (not all sell this brand) to finish the front windows with the correct size.

Trouble is, the other companies seem to be charging more so this could backfire.

Please help, especially any with standards qualifications from a professional whose words will stand up in court.

Lynne in Winnipeg Canada

Old 10-27-2014, 12:24 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,890 times
Old post.....but wanted to revisit since this has always been on my mind. Its been a couple of years and only once have I had to hire a guy to come out and remove the old expensive high-tech caulking (since it was cracking and peeling) and replace with new caulking. The gaps were at least 1/2 inch around the entire perimeter of the window. I should have taken them to court, but it was going to be too much of hassle, so I just went with their quick fix. They installed pieces of pressure treated wood around the perimiter of the window to fill in the gaps and then screwed everything down. They caulked it and boy was there a lot of caulking used. The caulking has held up very well, but since so much was used and it's not being used for it's intended purpose....it is prone to cracking over 2-3 years and has to be replaced.

SO I was thinking, is there a better way, a long term fix for this problem. How about put in the caulking and then stucco over it and paint over that. Will the stucco help in preserving the caulking that is underneath ? Where would I look to hire someone like this ?

I cannot recommend stormwiseshutters.com or storm wise shutters at all. I did check my direct mail inbox today and found a message dated over a year ago from them saying that they now wanted to fix the problem. I contacted them today and will see what they want to do. If they truly want to clear their name and reputation, a complete replacement of all windows must be done

Last edited by heydade; 10-27-2014 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: company name

Old 11-04-2015, 11:07 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I hired a company to put impact windows into my home. It took nearly 2 months to manufacture. They came out and immediately the installer said he had a problem and that the window was too small for the opening. The window has 1/2 inch to 6/8 inch gaps ALL around the frame. Is this acceptable or should I ask for my deposit back and take my business elswhere. These are custom made windows, but it is obvious they got the measurements all wrong.
You can salvage the situation by framing around the opening with "shims". You won't need a permit unless you are cutting out a wider opening.
I would definitely challenge the factory but don't get your hopes up!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
You can salvage the situation by framing around the opening with "shims". You won't need a permit unless you are cutting out a wider opening.
I would definitely challenge the factory but don't get your hopes up!
I'd be willing to bet that the window situation has been cleared up. The thread was started 5 years ago.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,555 times
Question: My hubby ordered a window from home depot to replace a 38 year old window in son's home. He ordered
it 2 inches too short. Installed it and there is an open space at the top. Hubby says he is going to put a "spacer" in the opening and cover it with fascia outside and widen the window frame inside the room. Says it won't show inside or outside.

Daughter in law is furious. Says window outside won't match the existing window in another room on that side of house.. Hubby sez he will make
the windows match and all will be fine.

Does this sound possible? Family fireworks pretty startling.
Grammaw..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House