Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 02:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

I heard some scratching noises in the corner of our family room a few days ago, and I think there was a critter in the wall. There are no holes in the room or basement below it, so I think it was in the outside wall. One of the vents in the outside soffits has been pried open a bit, although from the look of it, something was trying to get out, not in. We want to patch up the soffit, but we do NOT want a critter to starve and die inside our wall, or try to claw its way out through a wall or ceiling. Can you recommend anything that might ensure the critter will leave, short of calling an exterminator? We can't afford to call someone to rip up the walls right now.

Can we maybe ... smoke the thing out? Sorry if that is dumb, but I really want to make sure it is gone. I work in the room where I heard the scratching, and it creeped me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I've used mothballs, they don't like those. Don't use poison it will eat it and die in the wall.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,726 times
I have heard of squirrels getting in a wall and having babies!

Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We fumigate our house regularly with Raid fumigators. (Not foggers - fumigators). We usually do a little overkill on the spacing. We discovered that they kill mice as well as bugs, but of course some of them will die inside the walls assuming that the fumigator fumes get into the walls, which they seem to do. That happens anyway, rip open the walls of an older house sometime and see how many rodent carcases you find. IF they live in your walls, they frequently die in your walls.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've used mothballs, they don't like those. Don't use poison it will eat it and die in the wall.
another dumb question---do you put the mothballs near the wall where you hear the noise?--i have the same sounds in my outer dr wall.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:28 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
another dumb question---do you put the mothballs near the wall where you hear the noise?--i have the same sounds in my outer dr wall.
I just heard the same sound only mine was between the bathrooms which share a wall. My house is 40 yo and has a crawlspace underneath the house but it is closed off as far as I can tell. I guess it could be a squirrel. I am concerned more about them chewing on the wiring and starting a fire.

What to do?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I haven't heard the noise since I posted, so I am hoping whatever it was is gone. If something died (shudder), we'll have to deal with the smell (shudder), but winter is quickly approaching. It'll get down to freezing soon, so I don't think we'll have a problem with flies or anything like that.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I haven't heard the noise since I posted, so I am hoping whatever it was is gone. If something died (shudder), we'll have to deal with the smell (shudder), but winter is quickly approaching. It'll get down to freezing soon, so I don't think we'll have a problem with flies or anything like that.
Sometimes they do not smell. They just dry out shrivel up and mummify.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:09 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I just heard the same sound only mine was between the bathrooms which share a wall. My house is 40 yo and has a crawlspace underneath the house but it is closed off as far as I can tell. I guess it could be a squirrel. I am concerned more about them chewing on the wiring and starting a fire.

What to do?

i have an open crawlspace under my 60 yr old house---i am just hoping that the noise is just house settling cause i don't hear it every day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House