Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:19 PM

959 posts, read 4,485,071 times

Advertisements

I imagine it's probably uncommon enough to negate it feeling dated in 10 years. As opposed to something like ... brass fixtures

Get what makes you happy The fact that you're second guessing the decision though makes me wonder if you both truly love the floors. Perhaps you should keep looking a little longer so you can feel more confident about your decision.

I wish we had distressed floors. Ours already have some gouges in them. Looks like my 2yo ground the corner of a hot wheel or some other sharp object along the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm bumping this thread back up to the top.

We went to Home Depot yesterday and asked for someone to come out and measure our house for hardwoods. They have this one wood in stock that was amost perfect, but it is this "distressed" style. Not too distressed, but still. . . .

The only thing that my wife and I have reservations about is it going out of style in 5-10 years and really dating the house. We wanted to find something more traditional, but we just couldn't find a wood that we both liked in our price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:11 PM

35 posts, read 292,802 times
I have to say I like distressed everything, but I wouldn't do distressed on such a large ticket item, but then I have had to move too many times, always thinking resale! Not sure they fit into the "trendy" category - if you know you'll be there forever, go for it -

Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 PM

359 posts, read 1,834,616 times
The more distressed the better, I say. Anything kid friendly is worth it's weight in gold. Maybe I can get my 7 boys a job distressing peoples' floors! Hey, they could start their own business, do custom jobs even!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 AM

310 posts, read 1,712,477 times
I love them, and if I can afford it, I would install it.
IMO, It gives a nice feel of aged wood, not old but aged. A nice touch to a modern home.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:31 PM

5,730 posts, read 17,545,870 times
Well, we ended up getting the hardwoods. They are a dark, rich, distressed "Manchurian Walnut" in 3/4" thick by 5" wide planks. Not sure where Manchuria is, but they got some dam fine looking trees there

We are putting this wood down in our family room, dining room, foyer, home office, and master bedroom, which are all on the ground floor. For the kitchen, powder room, and laundry room, which are also on the ground floor, we chose a 18"x18" glazed porcelain tile that looks like a filled and honed travertine. The color is a creamy beige.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,810,359 times
I see distressed hardwoods sometimes in the very expensive houses I inspect and love the look.
A little off topic, but there are guitars and other instruments made out of log dive reclaimed wood. Absolute amazing tonal qualities...and expensive! I can only imagine what complete floors would cost!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 9,287 times
Default Will this help with dogs and children?

My wife and I just moved into a brand new house with brand new hardwood floors in the living room. They have that smooth polyurethane finish. The problem is that we have a dog, whose nails (no matter what we do) scratch the surface of the wood. Kids are over all the time playing on it as well and if we drop something it dents the wood. To me, the scratches and dents don't add character to these floors. I've only been in the house a few months and we will probably be changing these floors within the next year or so because I don't like the way the scratches and dents make them look.

However, I like the look of the distressed floors. Does it sound silly for me to suggest that scratches on my new hardwoods don't look as good as those in the distressed wood and that my dogs and my daughters friends will just add more character to the floors? Would these distressed floors be better for people with children and animals since they're supposed to be beat up?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,390,438 times
we have a builder that uses a wooden baseball bat with a chain wrapped around it to distress his floors. After he beats the heckout of them he uses a real dark stain on the floors, lets it soak in, and then sands the top layer off, and adds a lighter stain to the floors. The dark stain stays in the grooves left from the beating, and the light will naturaly stay on the top. It looks amazing.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,287 times
Default So can this affect be done after the floors are installed?

Do you think this effect can be done to any wood floors after they are installed?

If so, can I live in peace with the dog scratching up my new hardwoods at this time and get it "fixed" later? Sounds like a much cheaper alternative than ripping up all "new" hardwoods just to put "new" beat up hardwoods in.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammicam View Post
Just curious if anyone knows how I can find lumber reclaimed from tobacco warehouses? Don't know much about it, but have heard that it's been done and want more info about it. Thanks for sharing if you know!
Yes I had some. Oak with clear boards up to 24 inches wide 9 feet long and 5/4 thick. Beatiful stuff I was living in Dover Tennessee and about 4 tons was given to me but I had to move to Michgan into an apartment and I couldn't afford to have it shipped and no place to put it. So I left it. I cry everytime I think about it. I made some stuff from it and it's heavy as it is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House