Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
New IKEA store opens in West Chester next year; they just had the ground-breaking this week!
Hmph. Everything good happens after I leave. LOL Like when the Odd Lots (or is it Big Lots ...) opened at the Colony Square in Lebanon, two months after I moved into Cincinnati! That still makes me mad.

Well, CrewChief, take my recommendation on the Swedish meatballs, and don't skimp on the lingonberry preserves . IKEA also has a decent little lunch area; food's not bad and the price is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 02:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
Big Big fan

Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
LOL!! Thanks!

I'm improvising with the Docksta dining table for now. I'll be in the market for the real Saarinen from DWR very soon.
That would go great in your ranch, wouldn't it?
I think we have something from DWR but our stuff has been in storage for so long I have forgotten.
Anyway, I feel like we are starting all over now,it is very intimidating, and I have no sense of design at all.
I may post asking for help at some point.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
That would go great in your ranch, wouldn't it?
Great memory, yes it would.

Quote:
I think we have something from DWR but our stuff has been in storage for so long I have forgotten.
Anyway, I feel like we are starting all over now,it is very intimidating, and I have no sense of design at all.
I may post asking for help at some point.
Yes. It can seem daunting, but reading DWELL, Modernism and Atomic Ranch has help me better understand the style of house and furniture I'm looking for. You should take a look at those shelter and design mags.

Another great resource is the Lotta Living forum, which is dedicated to MCM: http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/

The only problem I have is the prices on these pieces. They can get pretty outrageous. And that is why I mix it up with IKEA, Target, DWR, Crate and Barrell, CB2, West Elm, etc..

Oh, and please post any questions, if I can't help you, I'm sure we'll both find the answer. I'll do the same.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:32 PM

141 posts, read 686,234 times
I have been to the IKEA in Frisco Tx several times. I love to look at the rooms they have set up. My problem is it came too late. My house is furnished traditional and not a lot will work with that from IKEA. I am at an age where I will only by higher quality because I don't want to buy again if possible. I was in the market for new bedroom furniture for two rooms last year and found better stuff on sale at the JC Penny on line site. It gets delivered and I didn't have to assemble every nightstand. I found two very nice metal queen size beds and a dark brown hardwood bedroom set for the master from Penneys. I have purchased duvet covers, sheets and curtains from IKEA which are very reasonable and seem to be good quality. I have also purchased kitchen items which are great. IKEA will be great for anyone who wants a more modern look in their home and is handy with a screwdriver. I did purchase an ottamen for a chair in my bedroom which was easy to put together and has a removable cover for easy washing. Some of their sofas and chairs would work in a traditional setting, I just don't want to assemble everything. Good Luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,242,150 times
Quote:
Another great resource is the Lotta Living forum, which is dedicated to MCM: LottaLiving.com :: Index
Yes, it is! And how funny to find someone here who loves MCM! I'm a member there since 2+ years and love it.

Quote:
The only problem I have is the prices on these pieces. They can get pretty outrageous. And that is why I mix it up with IKEA, Target, DWR, Crate and Barrell, CB2, West Elm, etc..
DWR really is very expensive, so I think the shops you list (which are also among my favorites) are a good alternative.

As for IKEA: We had two IKEA kitchens already, and both were very good for the price. The last one we installed when we built our house and didn't have a lot of money left for a Bulthaup or Poggenpohl *just kidding*. We had it for 10 years. The fronts were high gloss "Abstrakt" in light grey (which was discontinued around the time we purchased it). Some of the photos we posted on eBay:

We also still have some very inexpensive LACK side tables and they look great with our rather expensive sofas. But I would never buy any IKEA stuff without having seen it myself. The quality of their products varies greatly, some are nice, some look cheep.

Connie (design addict )

Old 08-07-2008, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,053 times
Default Ikea Kitchens - don't do it!

It may be too late for "prettyhatemachine", but I would NEVER buy an Ikea kitchen again. NEVER NEVER. There are so many things that Ikea employees, the website, or the software do not tell you about planning, buying and installing the cabinets. It was a HUGE HASSLE.

Be warned! Don't do it!

It's not that i don't like Ikea products - I do. It's not that the cabs don't look good, they do. I can't speak for the quality until they've been used for a while....

The only way I would do this again is if I had a professional installer who is familiar with the Ikea system and products already. That's a pretty big 'if' b/c if you are paying a pro...why bother with Ikea?

Just my experience.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Ikea is cheesey furniture for people who think they're cooler than people who buy cheesey furniture at Value City.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:06 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
I will have to disagree a bit about the durability when repeatedly taken apart. Our daughter went to college where they required all students to do co-op in between bouts on campus. When she moved into her first apartment her second year we bought a bed and desk from Ikea. They have been taken apart, moved, and re-assembled a minimum of 12 times and they worked great every time. The big thing you have to remember is to keep the instructions. In fact, she is still using the desk two years after graduating and it looks nearly as good as the first day we put it up. The bed is at our house for a spare and except for a couple tiny chips in the white laminate, it is as sturdy as the day it was new. We did have to fix one of the drawers that fit underneath, but that was because she put stuff that was way too heavy in it and then tried to drag it out on thicker carpet.

As far as for kitchens, it all depends on whether you like the modern style and are hard on them. Repeated knocks on corners and edges will chip the laminate for sure. They definately aren't the quality of solid wood cabinets, but then the price reflects that. I, personally, don't like white cabinets nor do I like "fake" wood grain, but that's my personal preference and not a reflection on Ikea.

I do absolutely love all their accessories, though, and for the most part find them to be equal to anything you would find a Target or even most mid-priced kitchen stores. And I think they have a lot of great, different ideas that you won't find elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:50 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
CBB-love your kitchen!!!

Fan of Ikea here and can't wait for it to open in CLT next spring. However, before then making a trip to ATL in October to buy furniture for family coming up for holidays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House