Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,438,746 times

Advertisements

I bought and installed an Ikea kitchen in my home in Baltimore. I was delighted with both the price I paid and the quality of the products. I am convinced that my kitchen was what sold my home to the first person who looked at it.

Ikea has nice designs and a very helpful staff.
Attached Thumbnails
Any fans of IKEA?-garden-009.jpg   Any fans of IKEA?-garden-010.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,674,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Is anyone else addicted to IKEA? I'm thinking of purchasing and installing a new Ikea kitchen. Has anyone done this? Are they good cabinets? Do you have any Pics? I know there is a forum for Ikea Fans but everyone seems to love them there and I want a less bias opinion. I would also love to hear stories on your likes or dislikes on shopping at Ikea whether it is kitchens or in general. Cheers!
I have the Ikea Apron Sink in my kitchen and love it. Quite handsome and very affordable. The only porcelain model that I liked as much as the Ikea variant was about $3200 more expensive.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,375,787 times
I'm afraid I find their customer service to beabsolutely dire.

I bought a wardrobe and consulted a staff member to make sure that I had all the components I needed in my cart before going to pay. They even handed me a printed out list of "everything I needed" which I cross-checked with the cashier.

I got home (50 miles away) and unpacked to discover that I had no hinges.

I phoned the store's published number and got through to a call center that refused to agree to send the hinges and also refused to put me through to the store or give me their phone number. They also refused to let me speak to a supervisor. Their only "solution" was for me to make another 100 mile round trip to get the hinges they forgot to sell me.

I tried sending a complaint but e-mail and just got a generic response. I followed it up with a phone call only to discover that their e-mails are answered at a separate location and the phone team can't see your e-mail history and vice-versa.

Ikea are absolute rank amateurs when it comes to customer service and the contempt they showed me as a customer when the fault was clearly theirs' was downright offensive.

Shop there at your peril.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,687,853 times
If I could LIVE in Ikea, I'd be happy, lol. My kids LOVE it.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:59 PM

562 posts, read 2,396,971 times
IKEA is fantastic. Our nearest one is 3 hrs away in Canton, MI but the women of my family make our lists and do the pilgrimage once every year or so. And the men of our family prepare for a hex wrench marathon. LOL!

I have purchased there since living in CA years ago. There are fun fabrics, curtains, pictures and accessories even if the furniture is not what you want. I still have my 9.99 Ikea clock from the 90's , have painted it several times and it keeps great time still.

Our upstairs is more large scale and classic, but we are finishing our basement in a mod, clean lined style in part so we can use Ikea furniture and built in storage systems. I love Ikea and hope we get one where we live someday along with Trader Joe.

Last edited by fabumom07; 08-11-2008 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM

60 posts, read 182,112 times
I live 30 minutes from one of the largest IKEAs in the world in Shaumburg, IL. I enjoy taking the kids shopping at this IKEA in particular - it is such an experience.

All of our boys furniture comes from IKEA. They have destroyed many things in their 5 years but they have not destroyed their Trofast furniture. And they do not merely use it as it was intended. My spouse insists that some credit must be given to the use of woodglue in the construction of all things IKEA.

I have had very good luck with the Customer Service at Shaumburg. They are much more accomodating that Target.

IKEA is not Design Within Reach and their furniture is not Stickley but they are a fun company that makes a good product for a great price.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:52 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
I would rather have a root canacl than have to shop at Ikea. that place makes me nuts, you cannot escape once you go in.

However their products tend to be decent quality for a cheap price. You can often get rreal wood furniture for the same price as laminated pressboard (garbage) furniture at most big box stores.

Assembly is another issue altogether. We bought a bunk bead there a long while back. Opened the box and saw at least 1500 pieces. The directions were one page of cartoon drawings that basically said A. Assmble top bunk. B. Assemble bottom bunk. C. Attach top bunk to bottom bunk.

Thanks. that was helpful.

After three days it was finally together and lasted a very long time under very abusive conditions.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:20 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,529,899 times
IKEA....... quality????

Ummmm

Well they do have a great cafe inside all their stores.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:34 AM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
IKEA....... quality????

Ummmm

Well they do have a great cafe inside all their stores.

Sure it will nto compare to quality furniture. It is not quality furniture. It is cheap furniture, but amongst the cheap furniture, it is the best quality avialable. Comapre it to the junk that they sell at Lowes, Target, Wall mart etc.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,778,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post

...Ikea are absolute rank amateurs when it comes to customer service...
The fact that you had to take care of your problem yourself and they didn't have to do a thing indicates that they are Experts in Customer Service, not Amateurs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House