Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 10:25 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,905,499 times

Advertisements

Here's a crappy pic of of our 80's fireplace:

There is matching tile on the ground and around the fireplace. It has brass doors and brass trim. It's gas with a blower fan on top. One thing I don't like is that you have to turn a knob inside the fireplace to start it. I would prefer to install a switch for instant romance! But I would assume that would mean a new fireplace insert, not sure how much those run?

So my question.....

1. What's the cheapest way to install a nice mantel and wood, so it's not flush to wall?
2. Can we easilly swap out the doors and brass trim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 11:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,700,792 times
First, it's not at all difficult to buy and install a nice mantle (or mantle facade) to dress up your fireplace.
Fireplace Mantels - MantelsDirect.com

However, if you're thinking of having the fireplace and facade stand out from the wall a foot or so, that's something entirely different.

Yes, you can swap out the doors and brass trim. To say you can do it "easily" might be overstating it a little.

If you're doing the work yourself, I'd think you could really update and improve the look of the fireplace for $1000 - $15000. Maybe less, actually, depending on what you decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House