Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 02:40 AM

45 posts, read 293,523 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have a gas powered hot water heater and yesterday night we finally had to turn it on! (Northeast here)

The house is single family with 2 floors, 1st floor living room + kitchen works - we feel it got hot throughout though not sure if it was "enough" hot @ 69 degrees.

The 2nd fl (bedrooms) do not work - none of them got hot. I think when I had house inspection he turned it on and they worked - it says on report anyway

The heater is not old, installed in 2001 Mcane/Trane

Please give me potential problems/ideas what to do whom to call, I have PSEG worryfree on this but I thought it covers just heater/furnace? can I call them even though it works but just not on 2nd fl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 03:07 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,266,853 times
It should be adjusted to about 120 degrees. I wouldn't go higher than that if there are kids in the house.

Others will chime in I'm sure, so sit tight a bit.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,834,887 times
I'm confused. You are having an issue with your water heater or your furnance?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM

302 posts, read 2,226,860 times
Wow, I'm confused, too.

Be more specific about the equipment and the problem.

BTW the Worry Free should cover you.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:20 PM

17,125 posts, read 56,804,711 times
I think what you are talking about here is a gas-fired hot water system that heats the house. This system *may* provide hot water to sinks and showers but it may not, you may have a separate heater for this.

I would suggest looking for a valve that controls the upper floor "zone", and/or it may just take a while for the hot water to make it up to the more remote radiators.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:20 PM

Sorry everyone for the confusion!

I dont know if it is the heater or the furnace (or the difference between the two haha)

The heating system works 1st floor of the house; the 2nd floor of the house there is no heat.

It is a single family house, so only one heating system (gas, hot water)

Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think what you are talking about here is a gas-fired hot water system that heats the house. This system *may* provide hot water to sinks and showers but it may not, you may have a separate heater for this.

I would suggest looking for a valve that controls the upper floor "zone", and/or it may just take a while for the hot water to make it up to the more remote radiators.
Yes M3, but where can I find such a valve to look for?

And we left it on all night @ 72 the 2nd floor remained COLD, Frozen while 1st floor was TOASTY lol

Old 10-15-2009, 07:38 PM

302 posts, read 2,226,860 times
The loop for the upstairs is probably airbound. The air needs to be bled from the system.

If you have the contract, call PSEG and have them take a look at it.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:59 PM

17,125 posts, read 56,804,711 times
Probably Bergenite has it right. There may be vent valves on or near the upstairs radiators. If you don't know how to vent you may be better off getting a pro to do it, but try to watch what they do, it ain't rocket science. At the same time not being able to see the system I can't tell you anything specific about it.

If there are valves that would shut off the upstairs heaters, and thinking about it probably not, but if they are there, you would just look along the piping till you find them.

Sorry if that's a lame answer, but not being able to see the system I can't suggest where to look first.

Can you contact the previous owner of the house? Sometimes you luck out and they are the handyman type and quite willing to help you out.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 PM

45,024 posts, read 60,030,742 times
Is the system zoned (thermostat on both levels)? If so, the upstairs zone valve might be sticking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House