Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 06:47 PM

851 posts, read 3,626,365 times

Advertisements

I am trying to bolt down a safe. The 5/8 anchor bolt comes with a 1/2 plastic sleeve (barely shy of 1/2 actually) which I think I need to insert first.

How big is the hole I am supposed to drill? 1/2?

Oh, my floor is engineered wood floor. Do I take off the wood and sit the safe on concrete directly or do I drill through the wood and concrete?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Drill 5/8". A little slack is a lot easier to work with. Scribe and cut the wood around the hole and set it aside in case you ever want to put it back. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

If you need to go to the trouble of bolting it to the concrete, you are treading into dangerous territory. Consider off-premises options.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM

286 posts, read 1,366,979 times
The security of your safe is only as secure as your weakest link. If you bolt only to the wood floor, then it's going to be considerably less secure than if you bolt to the concrete. How long is the bolt? Are we talking 2 or 4 inches? The plastic sleeve probably goes around the 'grip' (or the smooth part of the bolt), most likely to protect the finish of the safe. If that's the case, then you need to make the hole 5/8" as harry mentioned. Drilling 2 or 4 holes into a concrete slab will not do any considerable damage, structurally. With the right drill bit, drilling into concrete is as simple as soft wood. Emphasis on the 'right drill bit'...

IMHO - secure the safe to the strongest point possible. That's why you bought it, right? I'd be willing to be that anyone who wants to walk away with a safe can and will. A prybar and a sawzall is all you need. And a strong back!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The box the anchor bolts come in should advise the size hole to be used on anchor bolts. Rent a large concrete drill at a rental center and even old conrete will drill like butter as they say. M ost supply the drill bit also.Unless fairly new concrete forget the smaller hammer drills.I;d first dril thru the floor with a wood bit and then switch to the concrete bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House