Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:54 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytue View Post
The NEC does not require the fridge on a dedicated. However, it's a really good idea and most electricians will recommend it
NEC doesn't require it, but local codes may. Remember: "Authority having Jurisdiction"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:24 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,750,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
NEC doesn't require it, but local codes may. Remember: "Authority having Jurisdiction"
But of course! Thats why I said NEC and nothing about other codes. Should have added the bit about local codes, but I was typing on an iphone *blush* But its always nice to have some sort of references other than "my inspector"

Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Running a fridge (and freezer) on a dedicated circuit makes a lot of sense. You don't want another appliance kicking those off un-noticed. Some old breakers can hum without a whole lot of draw on them, so I wouldn't rule out that it is just the breaker itself. Get an outdoor extension cord and plug the refrigerator into a different circuit. If THAT one hums, you may indeed have a defective fridge. Better to find out now than later. I'd do that before calling in the electrician. If you do need to call one, it is best to have gone over the circuits and wiring at your leisure and include all the tasks in one visit, rather than discovering new issues a few weeks apart.
If you put too many appliances on a single circuit and you're asking for trouble. A breaker might trip all of a sudden or over and over again at random. I ran a separate socket to my room just to put all my equipment on a different circuit breaker Mod Cut Link

If you're in a tight jam though you can pick one up from home depot if need be if you have a store local to you.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-20-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
This morning I heard a faint hum from the breaker box. I opened it and began flipping switches. It stopped when I flipped the breaker to:
refrigerator
microwave hood
kitchen lights

These are the things on the breaker. All new appliances and no lights installed (renovating and I have bare wire-light switches off and taped AND end of wires taped up, too)

The microwave hood was powering the LED lights for the clock
The refrigerator was powering the refrigerator and the door light
No lights were on, of course.

I let the breaker stay off a while but then turned it on and the buzzing has stopped at least for now.

My googling has resulted in:
old GFI sockets gone bad, a junction box w/ an old doorbell, water pump trying to kick the motor on in a dry well, etc.

None of these results showed a need to replace the breaker but I don't have a doorbell, GFI sockets, or a water pump...it's just these two appliances listed above.

Any ideas of what to check for?
teach it the words, then it won't hum.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
I sure wish CD would just lock these old threads so that (however well meaning)
newbies can't bottom post their out of context questions or add 3 year late comments

Read the old threads? Absolutely. Encourage that.
The answer is probably in there somewhere.

But when the attempt is made to quote or post a quick reply... don't let it work.
Instead, show them a polite message advising the newbie about the age issue and suggesting
that they find a newer thread to bottom post onto (ha!) or point them to a "new post" button.

Have a sliding scale so the busier and longer threads can stay active longer...
but PLEASE shut them down at some point.

less than 10 posts? close and lock after X weeks of inactivity
less than 30 posts? close and lock after Y weeks of inactivity
less than 50 posts? close and lock after Z weeks of inactivity
and so forth...

Is that really so hard? No, it isn't.

Example of a Polite Message to the Clueless:
You have attempted to post into an old thread started on xx/xx/20xx
The last comment was made on xx/xx/20xx and was closed after XX posts.

If you have read through these XX posts and still feel that your question hasn't been answered
or your desired comment point hasn't already been addressed you are welcome to
look for one of the current threads on the same topic or to start an entirely new thread.

Use the <Search> button to find one of those current threads.
Use the <New Thread> button to start a new thread in the same forum.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
MrRational - he was spamming. Spammers have no manners.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
MrRational - he was spamming.
That was NOT spamming.
Not even Mathjaks' comment was spamming.

That was just a clueless newbie bottom posting on a dead thread.
Close the dead threads.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:45 AM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
The CD recommendations are to search for existing threads before starting a new one. Sometimes when I have been looking for information, something in an old thread is "almost" what I want, but not quite. Posting on that thread brings it back for more discussion, without having to rehash everything again.

In other instances I may come across something that perhaps I have new information that could help others searching for information on that topic. I like to post it there rather than in a new thread.

I feel the threads should remain as is. It would be a shame to punish those who are trying to be helpful because of the actions of a few who may think they are being "cute" or funny.

As long as a thread is still serving the intended purpose, it isn't dead, IMO.

Now back on the topic of replacing circuit breakers that are malfunctioning, it is always mentioned to go to _______ (fill in the blank with your area "big box" chain). Don't forget the little guy who has been in business for years providing items for generations. Most of the time, the workers there are as knowledgeable or more so than the often part time help at the big places. I know, people say you can save big money by going to the big boxes, but do you really? Our local building center sells 2 x 4-8' for 9 cents more than the nearest big box 18 miles away.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
...when I have been looking for information, something in an old thread is "almost" what I want, but not quite.
You don't look in other threads? tsk.
Surely one of the 30 other threads on the same basic question will have rest of the information.

But if you must bottom post into another thread marginally on the point you're curious about...
at least do it within one of the newer, and currently active ones.

Probably better though would be to start a new thread asking your question EXACTLY.

quote]Posting on that thread brings it back for more discussion, without having to rehash everything again. [/quote]
On the contrary... more often than not people will go to the first post (as in this case)
then add a helpful comment that doesn't add one bit to the discussion.

Quote:
As long as a thread is still serving the intended purpose, it isn't dead, IMO.
Read only is the point. The information is viable. Adding to it? not one bit.

Back in 2009 and earlier the policy of perpetual life didn't make much difference.
That has changed. There are just too many threads now.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Probably better though would be to start a new thread asking your question EXACTLY.

Back in 2009 and earlier the policy of perpetual life didn't make much difference.
That has changed. There are just too many threads now.
?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House