Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
everyone keeps saying that appliances are meant to be disposable now due to the disposable economy we live in--even the higher end stuff!

The washer and dryer we are leaving with our old house is one year younger than me (and I'm 27!!!) they were the cheap ones from kenmore too. Only repair was the knob--my husband built a wood one that works just fine (albeit a bit hillbilly) Now I hear that washers and dryers only last 10 years--what a crock!

Then again his mom says that we take care of our things and do not overuse them so they will last longer--so I hope that is true!
So a 26 year old washer is comparable to a new one how? Thats like comparing apples to watermelons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,537,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbug View Post
I'm early in the process of having a home built, but while meeting with the builder and his wife, she stated that she read in some trade magazine that the expected lifespan of NEW appliances is only 7 years!!! As someone else pointed out, it depends on how heavily used some are, like the dishwasher and range, but I imagine that was for "average" use - whatever that is...family of 4, maybe?

The house I'm in now is 11 years old, and I and two neighbors have already recently replaced refrigerators. It's crazy. My mom had appliances for over 20 years before they broke down - if they did. She got nearly 25 years out of the 1946 refrigerator that came with the house. It's hard to believe the cost savings in energy use for newer ones is making up for the cost of replacing them more often!
We have a freezer that is over 30 years old. The door seal is partially gone because we have to defrost it several times a year. In one sense, we wish it would die so we can replace it with an efficient energy saving model. In another sense, we marvel at how long it's been going, which included 6 moves. It was one of our better buys.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,166,556 times
Many replace appliances long before they are dead due to design trends. Seems so wasteful to me but see it all the time!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 AM

635 posts, read 3,091,524 times
I like old appliances. They were built to last, are serviceable, and in many cases are nearly or equally as efficient. But it is also important to note that a lot of old appliances were not inexpensive. So many people bought them on payment plans or as part of their utility service, such as natural gas stoves, etc.

To build equally as durable gear today would have us likely paying thousands for appliances we now pay hundreds for.

I can't recall the exact figures, but an early 1950s Chambers stove was something like $500, which according to the "inflation calculator":

"What cost $500 in 1955 would cost $3977.26 in 2008."

So part of the problem is that we do have a disposable society, but that has also been driven by the public being convinced that price is everything. It is somewhat circular. Once(if ever) as consumers we realize that there is a healthy balance between quality and economy we may again find more consumer goods built to last, as long as we're willing to pay for it.

Until then, the manufacturers are simply going to give us what we want.... flashy features, but at the lowest price, which will means cheaply built construction.

Al

Old 10-30-2009, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Refrigerators would normally have 10 to 15 years life span. I got mine replaced after 10 years. Make sure before remodeling your kitchen, your proposed design and colors still matches your appliances.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
We just moved to a new home which needs a complete kitchen renovation (cabinets, counter-tops, floor). The kitchen has Viking range top and 2 wall ovens as well as a Sub-Zero refrigerator. They are almost 16 years old. Right now, everything is working fine and looks good. Does anyone know the expected life span of these appliances. I would hate to redo the kitchen with the existing appliances and then have them die - would then have to replace with the same sizes. They are higher end than I would ever buy - but the sizes might create a problem if we had to replace.

Well we had a G.E. THAT lasted for 22 years, and still going when 2 years ago we bought the biggest SAMSUNG FRIDGE at 29 cubic ft, holds everything and then some love it. My G.E. would not die, infact we still have it and use it in the garage. My Samsung is the biggest fridge they make, and has great reviews, got it on sale never any problems with it so far. Good Luck

Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,014,359 times
My whirlpool fridge was manufactured 4/96 (17 yrs old) & is still going strong besides the scare i had a few yrs ago. My gas water heater was maufactured in 1975 & still works fine.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:40 PM

18,461 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
I like old appliances. They were built to last, are serviceable, and in many cases are nearly or equally as efficient. But it is also important to note that a lot of old appliances were not inexpensive. So many people bought them on payment plans or as part of their utility service, such as natural gas stoves, etc.

To build equally as durable gear today would have us likely paying thousands for appliances we now pay hundreds for.

I can't recall the exact figures, but an early 1950s Chambers stove was something like $500, which according to the "inflation calculator":

"What cost $500 in 1955 would cost $3977.26 in 2008."

So part of the problem is that we do have a disposable society, but that has also been driven by the public being convinced that price is everything. It is somewhat circular. Once(if ever) as consumers we realize that there is a healthy balance between quality and economy we may again find more consumer goods built to last, as long as we're willing to pay for it.

Until then, the manufacturers are simply going to give us what we want.... flashy features, but at the lowest price, which will means cheaply built construction.

Al

love it!!, so true

My SIL just got a washer and dryer for 2,400.. what can they possibly do for that amount of money????

I doubt her clothes get any cleaner than mine......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House