Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,936 times

Advertisements

The freezer of side-by-side fridge/freezer was making noise like mice were scurrying around inside. I opened the door and hear dripping and sizzling and noticed an orange glow.

I don't see any evidence of water or ice from this. It's as though a heating element is heating up and causing ice to drip as water??

Is something wrong or is this part of some sort of process??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Sounds like it in a defrost cycle. That is controlled by a circuit board in the new refigerators. I think if you look at your manual that comes with it ;it steels about the heating which has to occur with defrost and the sounds. Always good to read the manual. In old refoigerators this happen by time whether it needed it or not wastign energy. New ones sense the need and do it only when needed.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:05 PM

532 posts, read 2,844,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Sounds like it in a defrost cycle. That is controlled by a circuit board in the new refigerators. I think if you look at your manual that comes with it ;it steels about the heating which has to occur with defrost and the sounds. Always good to read the manual. In old refoigerators this happen by time whether it needed it or not wastign energy. New ones sense the need and do it only when needed.
Texdav, you are right on. I just pulled out the manual and under Troubleshooting it mentions various sounds and noises and what they mean. I've never heard this before, but I guess I have a frostless freezer and it defrosts about twice a day for 20 minutes. LOL

Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 9,252 times
We have an upright freezer which has been running just fine up until this morning. It clicks on, but before it can go thru a cycle, it clicks off. Keeps cycling back and forth. So thankful for our freezer alarm!! Any suggestions for what might be wrong with it?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:20 PM

342 posts, read 1,554,346 times
Could be a simple matter of replacing the compressor relay/overload. The service tech should check the amperage draw with his Amprobe as well as resistance values on the compressor windings. What you describe could also be a symptom of a failing compressor.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&D Holmes View Post
We have an upright freezer which has been running just fine up until this morning. It clicks on, but before it can go thru a cycle, it clicks off. Keeps cycling back and forth. So thankful for our freezer alarm!! Any suggestions for what might be wrong with it?
It could be a number of things

Bad starting relay
Bad or burnt compressor

Bad capacitors

Bad klixon motor protector, usually it sits in the little housing where the wires connect to the compressor but many times it is embedded in the windings and not replaceable.

Condensor fan failed or coil blocked with dust causing over temperature in the compressor tripping the motor protector

Not knowing what controls you have, low refrigerant could trip a low pressure swich if you have one.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-14-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,346 times
A domestic freezer probably wouldn't have a low pressure switch and more likely a static condenser.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:57 AM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
i have seen some older ones with a condensor fan . i have been away from servicing refrigerators for decades now so i have no idea what is on them as far as controls so i figured i would mention a low pressure switch.

heck i saw ac units now that have drives built into the motors. who would have thunk it.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,189 times
If a defroster heater element is "stuck on", I'd suggest checking the thermostat that's inside the freezer.

I cannot stress more the utility of online repair forums for assistance with this sort of question - anytime anything seems to be going wrong with one of our major appliances I just surf on over to there and search for similar symptoms and, almost always, will get MORE than one relevant message thread; one repair/parts site I use often (simply because it has proven its worth for me, not because "It's the best!"...) is Appliance Parts Pros

[within the last year or so I replaced a freezer thermostat - I forget the details but what was happening was a regular defrost cycle that SHOULDN'T have been happening or should have turned off faster or something like that - food items like ice cream (and just the ice) were showing the effect of too high a temperature for a short period of time (melt/refreeze). Replacing the thermostat fixed it]

Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 AM

18 posts, read 61,970 times
you must check out thermostat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House