Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:59 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Black refrigerators make me think of Darth Vader. I feel like refrigerators just aren't supposed to be black.
I worked in enough diners to dislike stainless steel anything.
I think you should get what you want. Unless you're selling now, anything will likely look dated when you do sell (although I always wonder what different it makes. If the stuff looks OK and works, what's the rush?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
I have white cabinets with a slate-colored counter top (couldn't afford granite or marble), and I chose stainless appliances for my tiny kitchen. So far I haven't had any issues with fingerprints, but being a single guy who doesn't cook very often, your experience may be different. I have no problems at all with white or black appliances, either. In fact I considered both, but I like stainless a little better than black, and the only white ranges I could find at the time didn't have a smooth cooktop, which I really wanted. So I got stainless and haven't regretted it.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:42 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
First I do not think stainless shows fingerprints any more than white or black. Fingerprints are fingerprints and they show no matter what the color is.
I could not disagree with this more.

I have a white refrigerator and I never see fingerprints. DIRT, yes, FINGERPRINTS, no.

I have a black dishwasher, kind a glossy looking front, that shows dirt more than the white refrigerator.

The appliances I have came with the house. If I were buying appliances now, I'd get off white or beige (is this what everyone is calling bisque??), if available, because my cabinets are golden oak, and the counter is a fake granite....

I just don't like a black refrigerator, myself.

I know a lot of people who have stainless and I wouldn't want to deal with it. One of my friends just sold her house, (w/stainless appliances along with it) and when her next house is built I think she is not getting stainless again, if I remember correctly.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I love the look of stainless but not the maintenance. If it was for my own house I would get the fake stainless.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 AM

228 posts, read 740,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I have white cabinets with a slate-colored counter top (couldn't afford granite or marble), and I chose stainless appliances for my tiny kitchen. So far I haven't had any issues with fingerprints, but being a single guy who doesn't cook very often, your experience may be different. I have no problems at all with white or black appliances, either. In fact I considered both, but I like stainless a little better than black, and the only white ranges I could find at the time didn't have a smooth cooktop, which I really wanted. So I got stainless and haven't regretted it.
Very Nice Kitchen!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
I like both stainless and white. When I was picking out my fridge, I decided to just match the newest appliance in the kitchen, which was a stainless dishwasher. I've noticed the fingerprints, but it's only really an issue if you touch anything other than the handles (which are brushed to hide the prints no doubt). I generally only need to pull the handles, so fingerprints are really minimal. But I don't have small children either, who would no doubt make the fridge surface a patchwork of small hands.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:28 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
I'm for classic white.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
I could not disagree with this more.

I have a white refrigerator and I never see fingerprints. DIRT, yes, FINGERPRINTS, no.

I have a black dishwasher, kind a glossy looking front, that shows dirt more than the white refrigerator.

The appliances I have came with the house. If I were buying appliances now, I'd get off white or beige (is this what everyone is calling bisque??), if available, because my cabinets are golden oak, and the counter is a fake granite....

I just don't like a black refrigerator, myself.

I know a lot of people who have stainless and I wouldn't want to deal with it. One of my friends just sold her house, (w/stainless appliances along with it) and when her next house is built I think she is not getting stainless again, if I remember correctly.
Dirt, fingerprints - what is the difference? The fact is it shows on all appliances. I don't like black either and white to me does not look right unless you have white cabinets too.

I do not think they make bisque anymore or if they do it is on very limited appliances. I could not find a bisque dryer to go with our couple of year old bisque washer recently. This really just makes things more difficult. Jay

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
I agree with white cabinets with upper end white appliances. It flows better unless you want to chop up the lines with stainless like many do.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:42 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,742,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattrick View Post
Very Nice Kitchen!
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House