Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times

Advertisements

You can check these resources: [url=http://www.home-security-stores.net]Home Security Systems[/url] [url=http://www.home-security-stores.com]Home Security Decisions Made Simple[/url]

http://www.home-security-stores.net/index (broken link)

http://www.home-security-stores.com

Last edited by birty1; 03-07-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,876 times
I use watchlight, $10/mo billed annually
I built my own system and do my own maintenance. I only needed them for monitoring.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
APX has been the leader in the industry for the last few years. This is the reason. JD Power and associates award-winning customer service and monitoring. Nobody compares right now. I would choose APX.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:40 PM

4 posts, read 9,008 times
One of the most important things about home security is will they come out within a day or so if there is a break down or malfunction. A lot of the companies mentioned do not have local techs and you may be days or even weeks without a working system. Check with your local BBB. A lot of companies, even national ones have different reputations in different markets.

As for wireless vs. hard wired, a hard wired system requires more experience to install and has a lower cost per device. They also have hundreds of fewer components at each location in the transmitters ( the more components there are the more to go wrong or fail ) as well as a costly part that will either fail or require replacement every couple of years (Batteries). Honeywell the most commonly used wireless use a CR123 battery (and at least 1 in each devise ) costing $6-8 each at your local store. When these batteries fail it can cause a false alarm.

The up side of wireless is fewer wires.(They still need to wire to AC power, the siren, ground the system, and to the phone) They are easier to move, or repair, but are pricier.

I also like to speed my money with LOCAL companies, or franchises, they answer to a corporation, ( who can negotiate on your behalf to solve problems ) and it keeps my money invested in my area, which is good for the local economy.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
APX Alarm is what I have as of 3 months ago. They gave me a touch screen panel that works really well and is easy to use. I have never heard of APX until one of there sales reps knocked on my door one day. It made sense what he explained to me and I agreed to let them monitor my new system and do away with the company I was with before. I accidently triggered the alarm one day and the response time was actually much faster than my old system. So far I really like APX Alarm.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
I looked into this and found that if you go to a system that just monitors your alarm system, you won't have anyone to service your system if something goes wrong. Companies won't service a system they don't monitor, and companies that are just for monitoring don't offer service. I am with American Alarms in Raleigh, NC, and their price per month is $24.95. The company is local, so you don't get someone in outer Mongolia or something, and they know exactly what you have and who you are. You get email or text messages whenever a code is entered or an alarm sounds. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:05 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney54 View Post
Sometimes, you get what you pay for.
But that is just it. Somehow it doesn't seem right that I should pay the same monthly fee as someone who got "free equipment and install".

It seems that since I already have equipment... my monthly fee should be lower than someone who is getting all that equipment.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 5,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney54 View Post
I looked into this and found that if you go to a system that just monitors your alarm system, you won't have anyone to service your system if something goes wrong. Companies won't service a system they don't monitor, and companies that are just for monitoring don't offer service. I am with American Alarms in Raleigh, NC, and their price per month is $24.95. The company is local, so you don't get someone in outer Mongolia or something, and they know exactly what you have and who you are. You get email or text messages whenever a code is entered or an alarm sounds. Sometimes, you get what you pay for.

I wonder if ol' Sidney got an email saying not to pimp the security company you work for!?

Old 07-06-2010, 02:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
I'm shopping around and would like some suggesstions, good, bad and ugly.

I have no interest in ADT - if anyone sells these systems outside of ADT please send me a PM and maybe we could talk about a possible sale.

Thanks,

XNYgirl
I always have to laugh at the commercials for these systems. A guy tries to kick in the door and the woman and child run to pick up a ringing phone immediately? Please. When you are scared out of your wits, you may not even hear the phone.

When you are home, a .380 or a sub nose .38 does the job fine. Not comfortable with firearms, a German Shepard does a fine job of frightening off intruders. Last resort, also have the security people rig up an old school bell to go off loud and clear if someone breaches the security of your home.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:26 AM

173 posts, read 155,895 times
I haven't done it but I always thought that installing loud sirens and maybe even some strobe lighting going off INSIDE a house would be enough to scare off an intruder.

They are gonna be nervous and wary while breaking in and then to have 150db of sirens and loads of flashing lights going off will probably make them **** themselves as they run for cover.

It'll wake up the neighbours and bring the police running too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House