Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 03:05 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serabear View Post
The house is 22 years old. Dips are in a hall/living area pretty much close to the wall, not out in the middle of a room.
Are you really serious about buying a "problem" house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 11:40 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serabear View Post
We are considering relocating and looked at a house that we would like to buy. Problem is, there are two areas in the hall/living area that have a dip/bow in them. Wondering how difficult/costly this is to fix? House is built on a raised foundation. Realtor says that footing poured all around the house and every so many feet and that the floor isn't actually a problem. Don't care if it is considered a problem to someone else or not, I would want it fixed if I bought it. Just wondering if someone else might know what would be involved in this situation.
Thanks!
Leveling a pier and beam house is usually a pretty simple undertaking. As a previous poster mentioned, this will probably involve jacking the floor joists from under the house and shoring them up with more lumber, maybe leaving a vertical support. That said, I have no idea what the specific issue could be and going into the crawlspace of an old home has a funny way of making things worse than they appear.

I'm pretty sure that the realtor would not qualify as an expert. Take anything he or she says with a large grain of salt. If you really love the house then you should get an inspection or an opinion from a structural engineer to specifically address the issue. That way you have something more "acceptable" to the seller than the opinion of a carpenter (not that the carpenter wouldn't come up with the best solution, but if you ask someone for money they want to see something like "C.P.E." in the signature line of the opinion). In the long run it will be one of the smallest expenses attributable to the house.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
As joists themselves are more apt to break in the middle than towards an end, my guess is that the end plate where the joist hangers are installed is the culprit. It might be one that could be fixed with a splice, or if it's too damaged, the entire piece replaced which is very labor intensive. Either way, it's a structural issue ... and someone will have to shell out $$$ to get it fixed. It's not a task which a few hundred bucks to a handyman will fix.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:56 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
As joists themselves are more apt to break in the middle than towards an end, my guess is that the end plate where the joist hangers are installed is the culprit. It might be one that could be fixed with a splice, or if it's too damaged, the entire piece replaced which is very labor intensive. Either way, it's a structural issue ... and someone will have to shell out $$$ to get it fixed. It's not a task which a few hundred bucks to a handyman will fix.
In an older home you may not see joist hangers at all. The joists may simply be blocked into position on top of a beam or resting directly on the foundation.

I agree that this has potential to get very spendy, but it could also be a pretty easy fix if this is just a matter of sag over time.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Why didn't you have an inspection done on the property, or if there is still time, i would have one done. never ever buy a home without getting an inspection. I would call a professional in for his expertise.Being that it is the floor that could be a number of issues causing this problem. That is why someone with experience should look into this matter for you. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,685,533 times
Get an inspection and several estimates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House