Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 11:26 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
A lot more people are seeing the old windows for what they are and replacements are a turn off, it all depends on the buyer. Our smallish 100 year old house has original windows and that is part of her charm. We will be sealing, reglazing as necessary and making new wooden storm windows.
Well, i sure hope so when we sell someday. We aren't in an historic house or anything, but I am partial to my 6 over 6 windows. Slowly most of our neighbors have been updating theirs and not for the better IMHO. 3 homes now have vinyl with 1 losing the "pane" look. Then another one went to the wood interior with aluminum exterior. These definitley look better than the vinyl and mimic the divided lites much better, but boy were they pricey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:43 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Do you have economic and engineering studies to back that up?

I am on the advisory board of our statewide energy efficiency utility, and they do not recommend replacement of windows as an efficiency measure. Simply put, study after study has shown that the small increases in energy efficiency cannot justify the high price of replacement windows.

Weatherstripping and other air sealing measures are a different story entirely.
I agree. I think the value of replacing windows is over rated. If the old windows are still in good condition, keep them and maybe add weather stripping. You will get a bigger bang for the buck by insulating attics and walls. The $10K to $20K quote you got for replacing the windows probably won't translate into equal energy savings over your lifetime.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Thanks for (almost) all the responses .

I really appreciate those of you who have taken the time to really help me with info on this subject matter and haven't just been quick to 'lyao', if ya know what I mean.

My current wood windows are in pretty bad shape though most could probably be made to at least 'look' ok, I'm just afraid their too old to really worry much with. My home is about 30 years old (we bought it a year ago) and it appears the previous owner (who built the home) did next to nothing from a maintenance standpoint. Most of these windows won't open and none of them tilt for cleaning. Couple that with all wood and paint and it's just a lot of maintenance on an item that would probably be better off replaced.

But we're still trying to mine through all the information. Maybe I shouldn't try and do them all at once. I thought that it might yield me a better price but I don't really see that reflected in any of the quotes I've received.

Tough decision....and I really appreciate all the comments that have been provided for assistance.

Still reading your thoughts and ideas,

Alpha

Old 11-09-2009, 03:03 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
This makes me think there are a couple of questions here.

If you're interested in replacing the windows because they're crappy and rotten and don't work, that's one thing. In that case you should be comparing the price of replacing them with the price of paying someone to repair them.

If, on the other hand, you're doing this because you want to make an investment in energy efficiency, this is probably not the best way to go. Invest in an energy audit and they'll give you recommendations of what to do and how much it will cost, and they can probably also give you an idea of the payback period.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Well, after contracting to have ours done on our house, I've been replacing them one-at-a-time on a rental that we own. It's not a huge job for one person to do a window (or two) per day, and the cost is much, much less. I've been getting the "better" grade at Home Depot. The last one I bought, just last week, was a 48x72 vinyl gas-filled, dual pane window for $199. I asked what the "best" grade would cost and was told it was about 10 percent higher, but they didn't have any in stock so I'm not sure. Insulation and nails probably cost $10 per window.

The sales person at Home Depot mentioned something about an income tax credit that was available for the "best" grade, but I don't know about that. I'd look into it if I were you. The best might be the cheapest after taxes.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Just so you know, my Mom is getting a new house built in the south/midwest and the builder just puts in double pane aluminum because it's the most cost effective as far as performance, function, and cost. The vinyl would be several times more expensive. You can paint aluminum if you want.

If you want insulation without extensive cost, you'd be better off with an inner sill window pane that will create a 2-3 inch air insulating "blanket" between the outer window and inner pane, as opposed to the less than 1" barrier in the dual pane window. This is kind of similar to storm windows, but the extra pane is on the inside instead of outside.

I don't think it's worth getting the cheap end models either. I just saw a house that is 4-5 years old and the cheap Pella units they put in have issues. The are not smooth in sliding (may have been that way from the start), and some latches are broken. Do not get windows using plastic on latches or really thin looking metal ones.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:46 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks for (almost) all the responses .

I really appreciate those of you who have taken the time to really help me with info on this subject matter and haven't just been quick to 'lyao', if ya know what I mean.

My current wood windows are in pretty bad shape though most could probably be made to at least 'look' ok, I'm just afraid their too old to really worry much with. My home is about 30 years old (we bought it a year ago) and it appears the previous owner (who built the home) did next to nothing from a maintenance standpoint. Most of these windows won't open and none of them tilt for cleaning. Couple that with all wood and paint and it's just a lot of maintenance on an item that would probably be better off replaced.

But we're still trying to mine through all the information. Maybe I shouldn't try and do them all at once. I thought that it might yield me a better price but I don't really see that reflected in any of the quotes I've received.

Tough decision....and I really appreciate all the comments that have been provided for assistance.

Still reading your thoughts and ideas,

Alpha
Twice salespeople tried to sell me "new construction" type windows instead of "replacement windows" which require more work to put them in and therefore cost more to install.

Alot of companies charge installation cost equal to the cost of the window. So, if they tell you your window costs $300, they charge you $300 to put it in. So, in that case, the total cost for one window is $600... which is insane.

I had a home improvement guy where I lived before that charged $40. per hour to put in windows (or to do anything else) I came out way ahead buying the windows at Home Depot and paying him to put them in.

But, seriously.... it's not that hard to put in a window. You take it out from the inside, you get it level and straight and screw it in and frame it in.

I actually took out two windows and replaced them with one window that was a different size over my kitchen sink. That took me a couple of days because I had to replace wood siding on the outside and patch drywall on the inside. I also had to reframe what I had to take out ripping them out.

If you have someone like my guy I had where I lived before that is reasonable and who knows what he's doing... they should be able to put in a window in about an hour...

But, on the other hand, I've seen handymen who took a few hours to put in a window and still didn't have it in.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM

66 posts, read 147,889 times
Vinyl expands and contracts very little, so it can hold a seal with 2 panes of glass, and hold the ARGON gas. Wood windows expand and contract at a greater rate, so it's harder to maintain the integrity of the seal. Wood windows cannot hold the Argon gas in, and without the Argon gas, the window is no longer insulated; it is only a"double pane" window. All I know is that OUR company guarantees you will save 40 percent a year; in writing. We have an A+ rating with the BBB as well, so yes, a GOOD window will save you a lot!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:47 PM

66 posts, read 147,889 times
Sorry, 40 percent. That is what our company guarantees by the way. In writing. Double lifetime guarantee, no labor costs! That means, you sell...the owner is covered! Not trying to sell you. Just make sure whatever you choose, the U factor should be <.30!!! Which is how much heat stays inside your house!!

Old 11-09-2009, 07:57 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
Buying new windows is a big investment. We've done it in our last three houses. Do your research, make sure you get a transferable warranty, and check into the government's tax credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House