U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 02:39 PM

3,631 posts, read 6,955,107 times

Advertisements

The main floor heat pump isn't working in the house I am keeping as a rental.

I believe its a 5 ton unit and its 14 years old.

A/C guys came out and I told them I basically have very little money to address the problem AND am not investing in a new unit for a house I plan on unloading as soon as I can break even. Anyway, they told me the compressor is out (which is true) and the unit is leaking freon (sp)...not sure if that is true but the fins are quite damaged due to dog urine destroying them.

Guys said I can no longer buy a compressor for the unit...that the unit MUST be replaced and that they will sell me a refurbished 3 1/2 ton unit for $1600. I am not sure about going from 5 tons to 3 1/2...won't that cause the refurbished unit alot of wear and tear ALSO how would this effect my tennents power bills? No point in doing this if people are not going to want to rent the house because of it.

What kind of warrenty is typically offered on a refurbished unit?

I am not sure this is my best option.

Again upgrading to a new unit is OUT OF THE QUESTION.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-12-2009 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM

24,841 posts, read 35,540,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I believe its a 5 ton unit and its 14 years old. A/C guys came out and I told them I basically have very little money to address the problem AND am not investing in a new unit for a house I plan on unloading as soon as I can break even. Anyway, they told me the compressor is out (which is true) and the unit is leaking freon (sp)...not sure if that is true but the fins are quite damaged due to dog urine destroying them. Guys said I can no longer buy a compressor for the unit...that the unit MUST be replaced and that they will sell me a refurbished 3 1/2 ton unit for $1600. I am not sure about going from 5 tons to 3 1/2...won't that cause the refurbished unit alot of wear and tear ALSO how would this effect my tennents power bills? No point in doing this if people are not going to want to rent the house because of it. What kind of warrenty is typically offered on a refurbished unit?

Just wondering if it was damage from a dog if you could file an insurance claim.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Just wondering if it was damage from a dog if you could file an insurance claim.
LOL...Perhaps I could if it hadn't been my dog. I know I should have taken action to prevent that however I had origionally just intended to replace the unit before the housing market crashed. I guess you just never know.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:20 AM

2,482 posts, read 7,336,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I believe its a 5 ton unit and its 14 years old. A/C guys came out and I told them I basically have very little money to address the problem AND am not investing in a new unit for a house I plan on unloading as soon as I can break even. Anyway, they told me the compressor is out (which is true) and the unit is leaking freon (sp)...not sure if that is true but the fins are quite damaged due to dog urine destroying them. Guys said I can no longer buy a compressor for the unit...that the unit MUST be replaced and that they will sell me a refurbished 3 1/2 ton unit for $1600. I am not sure about going from 5 tons to 3 1/2...won't that cause the refurbished unit alot of wear and tear ALSO how would this effect my tennents power bills? No point in doing this if people are not going to want to rent the house because of it. What kind of warrenty is typically offered on a refurbished unit?

The unit size is dependent on many different factors and would require proper review of the home and calculations to determine. However, as a general rule of thumb you can use 400 - 500 Sq. Ft. of conditioned area per ton of heating and cooling.

Because it is a heat pump, unless you have back-up heat strips for the cooler weather, then you will need to replace it to provide any heat required for your climate zone. Since you appear to be an investor I would say to hop up on the various investor BB's and ask around if anyone has a unit they are replacing that is still functional. You might be able to pick it up inexpensively. Also speak with the HVAC people that service investors and they might have a used unit that can be installed.

However, installation labor is not normally cheap and would you really want to take a chance that the used unit does not fail before you sell the home? Also, when the buyer has the home inspected the Inspector might point out your used unit as an issue. You might wind up giving the buyer a concession anyhow to repair/replace the unit. It is not a cheap alternative in the short term but replacing it with a new unit properly just might be less expensive in the long term.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The unit size is dependent on many different factors and would require proper review of the home and calculations to determine. However, as a general rule of thumb you can use 400 - 500 Sq. Ft. of conditioned area per ton of heating and cooling.

Because it is a heat pump, unless you have back-up heat strips for the cooler weather, then you will need to replace it to provide any heat required for your climate zone. Since you appear to be an investor I would say to hop up on the various investor BB's and ask around if anyone has a unit they are replacing that is still functional. You might be able to pick it up inexpensively. Also speak with the HVAC people that service investors and they might have a used unit that can be installed.

However, installation labor is not normally cheap and would you really want to take a chance that the used unit does not fail before you sell the home? Also, when the buyer has the home inspected the Inspector might point out your used unit as an issue. You might wind up giving the buyer a concession anyhow to repair/replace the unit. It is not a cheap alternative in the short term but replacing it with a new unit properly just might be less expensive in the long term.
Thank you for the suggestions...these are all points I have been considering. According to your calculations It seems the 3 1/2 ton would not be undersized with the additional upstairs unit factored in.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM

21,339 posts, read 63,825,737 times
Craigslist

Old 12-02-2009, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,591 times
Default heater burner turns off before hitting temp

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Hi[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I really appreciate any advice.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I have an older gas heater in the attic. Last season, and now this season, it intermittently turns itself off during the heating blower cycle, even though it has not reached its correct thermostat temperature.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Example: I turn it on and set it to 71 degrees, when the house and the thermostat say it is 65 in the house. It turns on normally and will run and get the temp to the right temp and then turn off. then the next time it turns on, the burners will stay on for a while, but will stop burning , therefore stop warming up the house, but keep blowing and blowing… never hitting the expected temp. So I turn it all off at the thermostat, wait about an hour and turn it on, and sometimes it will blow hot and sometimes start and then stop.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I have replaced the pilot and the thermostat.. but not fixed yet.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]thanks for any help[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Ken Givens[/SIZE][/FONT]
[EMAIL="kengivens@gmail.com"][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]kengivens@gmail.com[/SIZE][/FONT][/EMAIL]

Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
my 3 ton unit heart pump, when on for A/C I hear the air handler turn on and I feel the air coming through the house but it is not cool, could this mean it needs refrigerant (Puron 410A)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House