Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times

Advertisements

Need some help- my toilet is broken! When I flushed, the water went down the drain and when it came back up it was way lower than it was originally. The strength of the flush is very weak now, I am afraid to even flush toilet paper down it.

I live alone and am a young female with no family or friends nearby. I really do not want to call a plumber b/c I can't afford it.

What are some ways I could go about fixing this myself? I'm not exactly sure what's wrong, and I don't want to screw it up even more.

Thanks for your help!
Jdawg8181
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 11:48 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,470 times
Sounds like you aren't getting a full 1.5 gallon flush out of it. It needs the tank on the back to be full to the top of the float in order to get enough force to pull the water down into the sewer line. Consequently, it uses the water from the tank to fill the bowl before the next flush.

Take the top off of the back of the toilet tank at the top.

Don't put anything in the toilet and flush it again.

Observe how it fills back up. There will be a little chain to a suction cup at the bottom of the tank. That suction cup should close the tank to start refilling. There is also a float (the big black ball) in the tank... as the water fills up, that float should raise until it gets to the right level to fill up the tank and then that float will close a valve to make the water stop filling the tank on the back.

Check to make sure that when you flush, both the suction cup opens all the way and allows the water to exit the tank, and then verify that it suctions closed before it starts filling. Also verify that the tank fills up. You can lift up and down on that float arm to and the water will turn off and on.

If all of that is working correctly, my guess is that you have a small leak in the suction mechanism and you didn't flush for awhile. The water in the tank leaked out and the float didn't go down with the water level so it never refilled the tank.

Report back after learning the inside of the tank and what you see happening.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM

I did all that, but couldn't figure out what was wrong...everything looked ok to me.

There is no ball though. I definitely do not have a float ball. I do have some weird plastic thing...

Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,687,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I did all that, but couldn't figure out what was wrong...everything looked ok to me.

There is no ball though. I definitely do not have a float ball. I do have some weird plastic thing...

Hmm... when you flush it and then wait for the tank to stop filling, does it do the same thing? Is the next flush weak too? Have to wait for it to stop filling and flush right away.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Hmm... when you flush it and then wait for the tank to stop filling, does it do the same thing? Is the next flush weak too? Have to wait for it to stop filling and flush right away.
I don't know...I am at work right now. All I know is when I flush, it fills up the toilet and then sucks the water back in until barely anything is left. The flush is very weak, toilet paper barely goes down. It isn't a normal level of water in the toilet. The flush isn't powerful enough for...ummm, #2.

Old 11-10-2009, 12:56 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Five gallon bucket - tub or shower to fill - pour into used toilet to flush until problem is fixed. Take 3 photos of the inside of tank (left, right, straight down), post here.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Sounds like a partial clog. A Good plunger should fix that problem (the kind that has the lip on it- not the cheapo red one that looks like a trumpet horn).

Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
I think you may have a clogged vent stack. The vent stack is a piece of pipe that will project through the roof vertically; you should be able to see a little "chimney" sticking up through the roof and you may be able to identify which one goes to that toilet if you know about where the bathroom is from outside the house. Can you see a birds nest in there? Maybe wasps or mud daubers? Is this a house you own? An apartment? A rental? Old or new house?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:43 AM

Good news. Somehow the toilet fixed itself! Yay I can poop again! Thanks so much guys!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM

105 posts, read 147,853 times
Nothing worse than having your toilet "Take A Dump..!"
Sorry, couldn't help myself...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House