Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:43 AM

577 posts, read 2,061,069 times

Advertisements

The drying of the seal around the door and inside the washer is VERY important. Use a towel to wipe down all the cracks and crevices, and even the drum. Then leave the door open for a few hours so everything can dry. This helps avoid mold and mildew growing inside from no air circulation. If the machine is not allowed to dry fully the machine will start to smell and then make your clothes smell. You should run the machine's cleaning itself cycle once a month or so to help with that. Adding vinegar or bleach to the cleaning cycle can help, too.

The front load HE machines spin very fast, which is good, but some people say it makes their whole house vibrate. To help with that, make sure the machine is level both front to back and side to side. You can buy vibration pads to help offset the impact as well.

When I was looking to buy a new washer I did a lot of research online and agree that reviews are very diverse and no one washer comes out as the best. We have an LG and are happy with it. I would recommend choosing an overall well regarded brand and not stress over individual models.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 08:53 AM

899 posts, read 2,943,145 times
We have the Kenmore He 3's on the pesdistal and love them..they are six years old and no problems..

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,570 times
So no one has had the experience with the panel on their dryer acting up? Mine will stop my load from time to time. Now I just keep it unplugged until I need it. Otherwise I'll get some wacky code.

I have the frigidaire models.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
We love our LG models.

We got an awesome deal at Home Depot on them. They were actually last years floor models, never used, got the pair for 800!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:50 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
LG Front loader w/d here. Had them about 8 months and love them.

The pedistals were going to be close to $500 so we didn't do that. Instead I built my own for 1/4 of that.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
I've had a Maytag Neptune set for about 7-8 years now. I'm sure they've improved greatly since then. I've had no problems, but for the common water/gasket/mold issues in the washer. I don't find that too difficult to deal with. The one thing I do wish I'd done is to get the platforms for them. Lifting them up the extra foot or so would make it so much easier to load and unload them without having to bend over so much.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:55 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,141 times
I used to have the Kenmore HE5t and I loved it. When we moved, I was concerned about noise, so I bought the Samsung WF448AAP. It's only been a couple of months, but I'm very happy with it. I really can't imagine going back to a top loader. It's so quiet, uses little water and cleans thoroughly. I do leave the door open and/or wipe it down with a towel when I'm done, but I've never had any mold problems with either machine. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but I don't want to take a chance. I don't have the pedestals because I like to fold on top of the washer and dryer. It looks like Black Friday will have some good sales on front loaders.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:54 PM

71 posts, read 430,382 times
I have the whirlpool duet. The washer has been working fine, but the dryer has an issue. Heavy clothing like wet jeans will knock the dryer open enough that the dryer registers the door is open and it stops the whole load. I have to restart loads with jeans 3 to 4 times before the cycle finishes.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:17 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
I have the Kenmore HE3T set and I hate them. The washer stinks, the trap has to get cleaned often, the door grows moldy no matter what I do with it (and seriously, now I have to dry and maintain a DOOR on my WASHER?). Most of the cycles don't work -- they error out with those beeps and codes halfway through -- I can only use "normal" and when that one breaks, the thing is history.

The dryer doesn't cause me any trouble, though I suspect that setting a temperature doesn't do any good. Stuff I dry on "low" comes out blazing hot, so hot I can't touch it. I don't see how that's "low". But my last dryer had the same problem, so who knows.

I would not buy a front-loader again until the designs improve a LOT. Until we switched to powdered HE detergent, our clothes and towels absolutely reeked after washing and drying -- nothing else got rid of that awful smell. Good luck finding a dye-smell-allergy free, powdered HE detergent anyplace convenient. Argh... stupid washer.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlion View Post
I have the Kenmore HE3T set and I hate them. The washer stinks, the trap has to get cleaned often, the door grows moldy no matter what I do with it (and seriously, now I have to dry and maintain a DOOR on my WASHER?). Most of the cycles don't work -- they error out with those beeps and codes halfway through -- I can only use "normal" and when that one breaks, the thing is history.

The dryer doesn't cause me any trouble, though I suspect that setting a temperature doesn't do any good. Stuff I dry on "low" comes out blazing hot, so hot I can't touch it. I don't see how that's "low". But my last dryer had the same problem, so who knows.

I would not buy a front-loader again until the designs improve a LOT. Until we switched to powdered HE detergent, our clothes and towels absolutely reeked after washing and drying -- nothing else got rid of that awful smell. Good luck finding a dye-smell-allergy free, powdered HE detergent anyplace convenient. Argh... stupid washer.
My mom has a front loader and she complains about exactly the same thing. I'm not sure what brand hers is though. But she says she has to take the clothes out IMMEDIATELY after the load is finished or else they stink. Also, she has the pedestal, and it caused her washer to "walk" every time she did a load. She had to rig a system to hold the washer feet in place or her washer would "walk" to the end of the hoses every single load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House