Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
Some people call them "tax breaks" some people call them "loopholes". A lot of wealthy people thought it was ok to hide their money in Swiss bank accounts and they are paying for it now. Subsidies for the wealthy need to end.

Mike
How about ending subsidies for all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM

226 posts, read 926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
You realize the tax laws are the same for everybody... you can write off donations, mortgage interest, property taxes, capital losses and a whole bunch of other things too if you want. Doesn't matter if you're wealthy or not.

Yes, the tax laws favor those that have money not the lower class and working class americans which are the majority in this country. How many working class americans write off donations? Captial losses? These write offs are for the well to do that pave the way for our policiticians to get elected in the first place.

Thats why there are so many write offs and why we have alot of corruption and bad governance. Example.... Washington never saw the mortgage collapse coming? They saw it comming and they made a ton of money and then they bail out their banks and brokerages firms with whom they made their millions. The average Joe gets to pay for it and many generations to come.

Back to this thread....mortgage deductions for McMasions incentivize people to make bad decisions. Stop mortgage deductions = buying more practical homes that reduce exhorberrant waste.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:35 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Yes, the tax laws favor those that have money not the lower class and working class americans which are the majority in this country. How many working class americans write off donations? Captial losses? These write offs are for the well to do that pave the way for our policiticians to get elected in the first place.

Thats why there are so many write offs and why we have alot of corruption and bad governance. Example.... Washington never saw the mortgage collapse coming? They saw it comming and they made a ton of money and then they bail out their banks and brokerages firms with whom they made their millions. The average Joe gets to pay for it and many generations to come.

Back to this thread....mortgage deductions for McMasions incentivize people to make bad decisions. Stop mortgage deductions = buying more practical homes that reduce exhorberrant waste.
But, the lower and middle class pay no income tax. Most get big checks back.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:

How can you say this in all candor...

I manage rental properties and many of those renting don't even file a tax return...

A few years ago, Bush ordered stimulus checks sent out and some of my tenants didn't receive them... one was because her income was too high and about a half dozen because they NEVER filed a Tax Return

How is it so many can go through life with Section 8 Housing, School Lunch, Health Insurance for their Children, discounts on Water, Gas, Electricity and Telephone and NEVER file a Tax Return???

This is why I'm in favor of a VAT tax... at least everyone pays...

A fair system is that where everyone pays a percentage of their income... rich, poor and those in between... It is not fair to have entire segments of the society exempt from the obligation imposed on the rest.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:01 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:

Two others beat me to it. You've gotta file and at least make a certain amount before you actually have to pay. Zero tax liability = zero deductions. When I was a student until 5 years ago I would always get it all back as a refund (minus SS / Medicare?). It would've been pointless for me to claim any kind of deductions at that point unless you want the IRS or Turbo Tax to think you're a nice person.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 PM

226 posts, read 926,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
How can you say this in all candor...

I manage rental properties and many of those renting don't even file a tax return...

A few years ago, Bush ordered stimulus checks sent out and some of my tenants didn't receive them... one was because her income was too high and about a half dozen because they NEVER filed a Tax Return

How is it so many can go through life with Section 8 Housing, School Lunch, Health Insurance for their Children, discounts on Water, Gas, Electricity and Telephone and NEVER file a Tax Return???

This is why I'm in favor of a VAT tax... at least everyone pays...

A fair system is that where everyone pays a percentage of their income... rich, poor and those in between... It is not fair to have entire segments of the society exempt from the obligation imposed on the rest.

They never file because maybe they aren't educated enough. None the less yep...got to love our government send out checks....spend spend spend and get this country even more in "red". Someone has to eventually pay, and I guess it will be my children and their children.

The only thing holding this country from economic collapse is the fact that the dollar is the one and only world currency. If that goes away, watch out because there is no way we can keep spending in the "red". Even now we are visiting China and smoozing them to make sure they buy our debt. It is sickening !

Old 11-29-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Two others beat me to it. You've gotta file and at least make a certain amount before you actually have to pay. Zero tax liability = zero deductions. When I was a student until 5 years ago I would always get it all back as a refund (minus SS / Medicare?). It would've been pointless for me to claim any kind of deductions at that point unless you want the IRS or Turbo Tax to think you're a nice person.
FICA is not income tax. I choose not to pay into FICA. Being self employed I can do that.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
If they are wealthy, would they have a mortgage?
Good point, however, it was more my intention to suggest that someone with a $4 million dollar home should have the same right to write off an equal percentage in relation to income and housing costs as someone with a $40,000 home assuming that both are carrying a mortgage.

Not sure if I explained that well?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Good point, however, it was more my intention to suggest that someone with a $4 million dollar home should have the same right to write off an equal percentage in relation to income and housing costs as someone with a $40,000 home assuming that both are carrying a mortgage.

Not sure if I explained that well?
And they do.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And they do.
I'm in no way well versed in taxes... except that I pay a lot...

The way I understand it is many people with legitimate deductions are prevented from realizing them due to the Alternative Minimum Tax.

The AMT for those not familiar applies to an ever larger segment of tax payers yearly... it can be quite a surprise when you are not expecting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House