Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:22 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
One of the first times I've ever seen this acknowledged.
Yeah. ^
Good read OP...thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must be talking about Toll Brothers' homes. God they are ugly. Jay
well, they fit the mold, but there are others too!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times
Rip
Attached Thumbnails
McMansion- RIP?-mcmansion.jpg  

Old 11-20-2009, 12:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
We live in a neighborhood where mansions were originally built - 5,000 to 15,000 sq. feet on 1 to 5 acreas - very desirable neighborhood, beautiful traditional homes most built about 12-15 years ago. We live just out of the estate area of the subdivision in our measly 3200 sf house, LOL.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:52 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You must be talking about Toll Brothers' homes. God they are ugly. Jay
I am intimately familiar with Toll Brothers. And I agree 100% with you even though they have bought my product on various projects. I do not enjoy working with them.

Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
My issue with many of these is the "wasted" square footage. Hallways wide enough to drive a semi-truck through, bathrooms with entrance atriums, closets that are the size of a garage ... all adding square footage, but without increasing the usability.

Nevermind the operating costs for heating and cooling the air space too.

While there will still be a market for such gargantuans (much like oversized SUVs), the trend will be more towards efficiency nowadays.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn 97 View Post
Rip
From the picture you posted (read my lips) and from the picture only.
That's not my definition of a McMansion.
Yes, it is a moderately sized house, but there is an abundant front yard, plenty of forested area in the back- which would leave me to believe that that piece of property/ home is in an estate type of development or it's sitting on a very large tract of land.
Now, if you could pan-out the picture and this was sitting in a established neighborhood from the 40's- 50's with bungalows and ramblers, and it was drawfing it's neighbor- then I'd say McMansion.

I've built probably 120-160 homes pretty much just like that one. But, I didn't see them as McMansions then or now. They were built in developments where the minimum sq/ft. was 3k. The other 1 to 1.5k sq/ft. took care of my lot price (that in nice terms).

Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
My issue with many of these is the "wasted" square footage. Hallways wide enough to drive a semi-truck through, bathrooms with entrance atriums, closets that are the size of a garage ... all adding square footage, but without increasing the usability.

Nevermind the operating costs for heating and cooling the air space too.

While there will still be a market for such gargantuans (much like oversized SUVs), the trend will be more towards efficiency nowadays.
Who cares? Let people do what they want with their own money. What is waste to you may be a luxurious well-earned extra to others.

I agree that building huge homes that don't fit the neighborhood can be devastaging to a cozy little subdivision filled with small homes. However people do have the right to build hallways wide enough to drive a semi-truck through and have as many bathrooms and huge closets as they want too.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

354 posts, read 2,075,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Who cares? Let people do what they want with their own money. What is waste to you may be a luxurious well-earned extra to others.

However people do have the right to build hallways wide enough to drive a semi-truck through and have as many bathrooms and huge closets as they want too.
I gave you rep points Cattknap. If we sold our house two years ago we'll be living in a 4k sq/ft home with full basement. I loved to have that space, large Gourmet kitchen, family rm, walk in closets and every br with its own bathroom. The one we were interested in building had 15*30 Master Suite with firplace excluding the the his and hers garage of a closet and bath.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Who cares? Let people do what they want with their own money. ...
... hence my closing comment that there will still be a market for them, albeit a shrinking one.

I was merely poiting out that the issue is raised these days because many of these McMansions were built during the boom years, with few regards to the design and impact on the neighborhood. They were built simply as being "I'm the biggest", and to maximize profitability, not utility to the buyer. The numbers looked great on paper, however.

Mansions don't look out of place if that is the norm, because that is what the area demands. Tract-home built McMansions on postage-stamp lots do look out of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House