Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,406 times

Advertisements

Lisa you wished to know the difference between ceramic and porcelain tile. Below are 2 links which may help you understand the difference between these 2 types of tile.

[url=http://www.tileandstonetips.com/porcelain.html]Porcelain or Ceramic?[/url]

[url=http://www.fastfloors.com/article_102/The-Difference-between-Ceramic-and-Porcelain-Tile.htm]Difference between Ceramic and Porcelain Tile[/url]

Hopefully they are of some help to you and Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,346,989 times
I want to add my vote for French doors over sliders. I also vote for taking out the circular drive.
Kitchen style? Whitewashed cabinets with Butcher block countertops. Flooring- hard wood.
Everything is looking great, looking forward to next weeks update.
Pam

Old 12-22-2009, 05:08 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,135,319 times
Hey Lisa, sorry it took me so long to get here. What fun it is being able to watch what you and Mike are doing to flip this house. I couldn't imagine working in a construction environment with my hubby. LoL!!! For one thing I am the biggest klutz in the world, I would have probably tripped and punctured something by now. We used to watch some show a while back where a husband wife team would work together remodeling homes, and "crack up" on how nice and encouraging they were with one another. LoL!!! No freakin' way, could we ever be that nice.

Obviously you & Mike have what it takes to work as a team. Am so looking forward to seeing how your project comes along.

Merry Christmas to you both, and here's to a blessed and prosperous New Year!

Old 12-22-2009, 06:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,219,208 times
Yes Lisa and Mike, Merry Christmas (although I bet you two are working on Christmas). Good luck with these two houses, I love the looks of the area.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,376,247 times
Good morning everyone. Just checking in. It is crunch week and Mike and I can hardly function.

AW- No I haven't checked into zodiac. We looked at corian but it kind of looked plain. We'll have to do some more looking.

summerz- Some of those cabinets with the roll outs look pretty neat. I just don't know if they will fit in our budget.

gold*dust1, Jill61, and Hopes- Thank you for your input on wood and wood cleaning. I promise we will check into it and who knows if the price is right we may do it.

desertsun- "put mocha on cherry and do a sage glaze" Wow that sounds beautiful and expensive. What is bow hardware? And on the pearl counter tops- what material is that?

MBW- Even a basic double sink is expensive I'm having sticker shock over the cost of everything.

Ca Sweet Pea- Welcome. It's good to see you and thank you for writing in.

Kat- Thank you for writing in.

Just Simply Me- Thank you very much for the links. As soon as we get done with the other house I will have time to check them out.

Pam&Bill- Good to hear from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I couldn't imagine working in a construction environment with my hubby. LoL!!! For one thing I am the biggest klutz in the world, I would have probably tripped and punctured something by now. We used to watch some show a while back where a husband wife team would work together remodeling homes, and "crack up" on how nice and encouraging they were with one another. LoL!!! No freakin' way, could we ever be that nice.

Thanks for writing in. Mike and I are very lucky that we work so well together. The only time we get a little snippy is when we push too hard. So we apologize to each other beforehand and then we get 'r done. We are at the overload point right now but we are taking a few days off after the New Year.

cassy- Thanks and yes we will be working on Christmas. We do what needs to be done and then we relax unless exhaustion kills us first, lol.

Have a wonderful day. We have the first dumpster coming to the second house in a couple of hours and we have to tile at the other house. It's going to be a fun day, lol.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,638,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Good morning everyone. Just checking in. It is crunch week and Mike and I can hardly function.

desertsun- "put mocha on cherry and do a sage glaze" Wow that sounds beautiful and expensive. What is bow hardware? And on the pearl counter tops- what material is that?

Have a wonderful day. We have the first dumpster coming to the second house in a couple of hours and we have to tile at the other house. It's going to be a fun day, lol.

Sorry....pearl silestone I should have said. If your flipping then you don't want to put expensive silestone in. But you can find a pearl granite with some dark gold veins in it for less. Bow hardware is handles shaped like a bow. No it is not expensive if bought properly. I covered this in past posts the proper way to buy cabinets so you dont get ripped off.

You inspired me to do what you are doing here but for a very expensive kitchen. Out of more then 6000 kitchens comleted over 29 years, very few exceed $10,000 in cabinets. I am starting a big kitchen Jan. 10 and am going to cover the whole process of a new kitchen in photos. I hope I have as much fun showing us all how a kitchen is done as you have showing house flips. I have done my share of flips too but would never take that challenge on in this economic depression.

Anyway this kitchen project will be cherry mocha with no glazing with pearl Silestone in traditional overlay. Maybe you can use this for ideas for yours.

Till then.....Merry Christmas to all.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,939,831 times
More, more!!!!! Hope you get some rest, but I know you are at crunch time!

Merry Christmas!!!!!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:41 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,667,218 times
Mike and Lisa, I can't wait to see the houses when you've finished them. I know they are going to be gorgeous! The amount of work you accomplish each day is truly amazing to me and I love your pictures detailing each step.
Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Old 12-24-2009, 02:10 PM

315 posts, read 1,005,992 times
Hi Lisa, First of all I hope you, Mike and Nicki have a great Christmas and Happy New Year.
Now my turn to chime in.
I like french doors but like sliders better, because you can open your house up and get the awesome breeze- French doors you would have to prop open. (They do sell sliders that are really nice now and secure and you can have insets that make them look like french doors) Just a thought.

As far as the drive I am one of the few here that like circular drives, but making it wider would work also. It just depends how many people live there and how many cars. I can tell you from experience it is a pain to keep moving cars around to get out.

Floors- my last house had 18" tiles everywhere except the bedrooms. I still like carpet in my bedrooms. My sister had laminate flooring in both of her homes and she swears by it.

Kitchen- my last kitchen had cherry cabinets with granite in black, salmon, and white in it and my floor tile matched the salmon color and it was georgous. I will send you a picture of it when I can. (hint- if you have a pantry make sure you put pull out shelves in it. I didn't and really was ticked at myself for not putting them in to save a couple of bucks. Things go into the dark hole in there and you may never find them again. LOL)

Now take some time for yourselves and put your feet up and watch the sunset.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,232 times
Hi Lisa I really loved reading all about the Tennessee house.
Here we are in Minnesota, snowbound, and another storm coming in.
So, I decided to check on the TN thread and see how things were going.
I see that you're now in Florida working on two new projects.

We were all set to move back to TN in August, but ended up having to wait.
Wish I was there instead of here right now. LOL.

Have a very safe and Merry Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House