Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times

Advertisements

DS41,
Thank you so much for the information, it makes so much sense now because my LL showed me another kitchen in the building where he is renovating and, that's right, he used Cherry Cabinets that he said they had to put together.
They did look nice though, I will give them that. He also did say they were cheap and the finish scratches easily, and did show me 1 spot. But said that renters do not take care of anything so when he has to replace them it is not a big deal. I am not sure if he knows about the chemical thing.

But I now know, I will ABSOLUTELY NOT buy cabinets there, or from any place in China.
Health is more important than saving a few bucks.
Thank you so much for your knowledge on this subject, I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
None of the RTA's for me either!

I am ordering KraftMaid from Just Cabinets. They were a bit less expensive than Lowe's, and the desinger at JC (Sandy) really knows her stuff. She spent nearly four hours with me the other day. Her help was way above the average.

Quality has discontinued the style I was looking for, and the KraftMaid has more features which come standard......better construction all over, and better drawers (self glide/full extension). I realllllllllly loved the quarter sawn oak, but I chose not to spend that much $$. I'm going with the maple. I hope I've made a good decision. I'm using tiger wood flooring in the living area and granite on the counters. I'll have a lot of visual texture with them. The grain in the quarter sawn oak may be too much.....but, oh my, they are perfect for the craftsman bungalow look I'm goin' for.

Thanks for all the help I received here!!!! My little beach bungalow is gettin' better every day!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:04 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I have the book from Kraft Maid here on my desk and have been contemplating them also. They have a really good selection. Maybe by the time I am 100, I have my mind made up.
I am not sure where I would like to buy them from, people here say Lowe's and Home Depot are to expensive....

Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM

I know what you mean nightcrawler. The decision making can seem overwhelming.....until you begin all the DIY stuff. I don't know how you can mess up painted stair skirting, but we did. sigh The primer was probably too heavy.

Now I'm doubting the color I chose for the cabinets. Too much thinking.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
None of the RTA's for me either!

I am ordering KraftMaid from Just Cabinets. They were a bit less expensive than Lowe's, and the desinger at JC (Sandy) really knows her stuff. She spent nearly four hours with me the other day. Her help was way above the average.

Quality has discontinued the style I was looking for, and the KraftMaid has more features which come standard......better construction all over, and better drawers (self glide/full extension). I realllllllllly loved the quarter sawn oak, but I chose not to spend that much $$. I'm going with the maple. I hope I've made a good decision. I'm using tiger wood flooring in the living area and granite on the counters. I'll have a lot of visual texture with them. The grain in the quarter sawn oak may be too much.....but, oh my, they are perfect for the craftsman bungalow look I'm goin' for.

Thanks for all the help I received here!!!! My little beach bungalow is gettin' better every day!
I'm glad my advice helped you. Just Cabinets who have 21 locations have always sold their cabinet products for 50% off list price. They too just LOVE when people come in with bids from the big box stores and they cut it right in half.

Good luck with your kitchen remodel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I'm glad my advice helped you. Just Cabinets who have 21 locations have always sold their cabinet products for 50% off list price. They too just LOVE when people come in with bids from the big box stores and they cut it right in half.

Good luck with your kitchen remodel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do appreciate your input, desertsun. Just Cabinets wasn't 50% less than Lowe's though. They would have come in at about the same pricing if I used a 10% coupon at Lowe's. Just Cabinets will beat any big box store by 5% if you take them a printed quote. Sandy was such a great help, and she originally came up the the best design last summer. This isn't a large kitchen, but I'm looking at about $5,300 for a total redo using the maple. The quarter sawn oak was around $8,000. I got $500. off of the amount I spent. If you spend over $7,000ish, they are knocking off $1000.00. They both have about the same delivery charge.....Lowe's $175.....JC $185.00.

I gotta tell you.....I'm curious about how you know so much about JC. They are an east coast outlet, and were hooked up with Ollie's which started just across the river from Harrisburg, PA. I understand they are now an independent retailer and are no longer tied to Ollie's.

The York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Reading areas of PA have some great shopping. Being the old "shoppin" crone that I am, I really miss the area. Delaware has no sales tax, but they don't have the same brick and mortar opportunities.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I do appreciate your input, desertsun. Just Cabinets wasn't 50% less than Lowe's though. They would have come in at about the same pricing if I used a 10% coupon at Lowe's. Just Cabinets will beat any big box store by 5% if you take them a printed quote. Sandy was such a great help, and she originally came up the the best design last summer. This isn't a large kitchen, but I'm looking at about $5,300 for a total redo using the maple. The quarter sawn oak was around $8,000. I got $500. off of the amount I spent. If you spend over $7,000ish, they are knocking off $1000.00. They both have about the same delivery charge.....Lowe's $175.....JC $185.00.

I gotta tell you.....I'm curious about how you know so much about JC. They are an east coast outlet, and were hooked up with Ollie's which started just across the river from Harrisburg, PA. I understand they are now an independent retailer and are no longer tied to Ollie's.

The York, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Reading areas of PA have some great shopping. Being the old "shoppin" crone that I am, I really miss the area. Delaware has no sales tax, but they don't have the same brick and mortar opportunities.
Well I grew up in your area Rockky. I know about those coupons they used to give out but the fact you say they only discounted 5% from list is new to me. Maybe their new marketing plan is to rely more on those large dollar off coupons. My company bought from them way back. As a contractor they gave us 55% off list price.

The other thing you said, quartersawn oak cabinets? I am unaware that Kraftmaid sells that and I know Quality Cabinets does not. Is it the Prestige brand? I know zero about Prestige. I actually was unaware of any brand cabinet who made cabinets from quartersawn oak and I am familiar with nearly all of them. Quartersawn is a rare hardwood that you would pay a premium for. A premium most consumers would not pay for. Pretty wood it is.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Ahhhhh, desertsun, I see. So you know SE PA!

I think those rebates are from KraftMaid. Lowe's was offering the same thing. Perhaps JC doesn't discount as much as they use to. I think the company went to new owners four or five years ago.....not really sure. Also, I bet they catered to contractors years ago. I remember how there were fewer big box store and lots of competition from local retail owners. They may have been trying to find a way into the market. In any case, they've survived and certainly expanded when many local store fronts have disappeared. When I was a kid everyone went to the closest appliance/furniture store. Every little town had one. They are all gone. Now we get choices like Ashley where we can choose the chemical of the day from overseas.

The quartersawn was in the KraftMaid display. I was very surprised when I saw it. Guess that was the other reason I was drooling over them. You hardly ever see it. Here's a link:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/browseby/ca...oductType=Door

The sample in the store looked much better than the online shots. I really love that stuff....even if the fronts are veneer.............I could live with it.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Ahhhhh, desertsun, I see. So you know SE PA!

I think those rebates are from KraftMaid. Lowe's was offering the same thing. Perhaps JC doesn't discount as much as they use to. I think the company went to new owners four or five years ago.....not really sure. Also, I bet they catered to contractors years ago. I remember how there were fewer big box store and lots of competition from local retail owners. They may have been trying to find a way into the market. In any case, they've survived and certainly expanded when many local store fronts have disappeared. When I was a kid everyone went to the closest appliance/furniture store. Every little town had one. They are all gone. Now we get choices like Ashley where we can choose the chemical of the day from overseas.

The quartersawn was in the KraftMaid display. I was very surprised when I saw it. Guess that was the other reason I was drooling over them. You hardly ever see it. Here's a link:

http://www.kraftmaid.com/browseby/ca...oductType=Door

The sample in the store looked much better than the online shots. I really love that stuff....even if the fronts are veneer.............I could live with it.
Real pretty wood. If all oak looked like that then less people would hate it. I do sell more oak then any other wood species but I believe that is economy driven rather then personal taste.....meaning oak is the cheapest species. It must be a new offering by Kraftmaid. No other Masco owned companies offer it.

If they have new owners in the past 5 years then that is why I was lost. I worked with them like 11 years ago. I know they have ads posted in the job listings all the time so they must be doing ok in this economic depression.

Chemical of the day huh? Yup, I know what you are talking about. I sure harp on the subject enough here.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:37 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I built my house 12 years ago. Kitchen and bath cabinets are RTA bought from Home Depot. Flat panel white. Very quick and easy to assemble. I added a top and bottom bull nose to the upper cabinets. They look and operate today as they did 12 years ago. At the time, I saved about $2500 not including an installer labor cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House