Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:50 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,237 times

Advertisements

Tried to use the self-clean feature on our $3,000 oven and the whole house filled with smoke. I see that the microwave hood above the stove is vented outside but do not see anywhere that the oven would be vented. I've had a self-clean oven before and used it without having my house fill with smoke. What am I doing wrong? Is this a flop up on the builders part? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinalkulp View Post
Tried to use the self-clean feature on our $3,000 oven and the whole house filled with smoke. I see that the microwave hood above the stove is vented outside but do not see anywhere that the oven would be vented. I've had a self-clean oven before and used it without having my house fill with smoke. What am I doing wrong? Is this a flop up on the builders part? Thanks!
Should not happened. If you have smoke damage get your insurance company involved and get them on the builder to see if there was a screwup.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:25 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
Could the oven have contained a large spill residue that burned off in the cleaning cycle?

Old 12-01-2009, 04:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
It should not be difficult to follow the sheet metal to find where the hood is vented. Are you indicating that they hung the hood but did not actually vent it?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:04 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
Some microwaves are set up to EITHER vent outside or recycle the air through the filter. I occassionally see this with microwaves that are "supposed" to venting outside. Go outside to the vent hood and make sure air is coming out with the vent running. If not, it is recycling through the filter instead. If that is the case, you usually have to take the microwave out to revert.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Ovens are not typically vented to the outdoors. I always run the hood while the oven is on to move the exhaust outside. If this was either the first time the oven has run or you had a lot of grease spilled in the oven, self clean will consistently result in a lot of smoke. It shouldn't be much of a problem going forward if you scrub out the oven a bit before cranking it up to autoclave mode.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:32 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,545,468 times
Like the other posters have said - your oven does not normally have a vent to the outside. You may have a hood or downdraft vent for your cooktop/burners -- but not for the oven itself.

Even though you've used self-clean ovens before, this oven may have been dirtier than you're used to and that may be why there was so much smoke.

We had a spill (still not sure what spilled) that was causing the oven to smoke a little each time we used it. We finally decided to run the blast-furnace cleaning cycle. Silly me - if turning the oven on to 300 made it smoke a little - turning the oven on "self-clean" (about 500 degrees) - made it smoke ALOT.

The wussy little range-fan (recirculating, not vented outside) did nothing to prevent the kitchen from being enveloped in a haze. The dogs were whimpering, the smoke alarms (how convenient that they are all daisy-chained together) all went off.. Fun.

We cut the cleaning cycle off immediately and the next day I hand cleaned the oven. Everything looks much better now (even though it didn't really look dirty before) and best of all - no smoke!

Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,237 times
The oven wasn't that dirty. Not much grease, just some small splattered spots here and there. When I run the microwave hood fan and go outside, the vent door outside is open and air is coming out. Wondering why it would still smoke up the house, given everything seems to be working fine.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
Quote:
The oven wasn't that dirty. Not much grease, just some small splattered spots here and there. When I run the microwave hood fan and go outside, the vent door outside is open and air is coming out. Wondering why it would still smoke up the house, given everything seems to be working fine.
I have a high cfm range hood and crack open a window so the outside air coming in goes past the oven and then is sucked into the hood... it works.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,939 times
The burner that heats the oven should have an exhaust. You'll see this for oven burners, as well as water heaters and heating furnaces. It vents through the roof.

If the burner ever has issues it can produce carbon monoxide (CO) and sicken or kill you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House