Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 06:13 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,622 times

Advertisements

I have a top-load Kenmore washing machine (8.5 years old) that has started to show signs that it either needs to be replaced or repaired.

The spin cycle has started performing unevenly. Overall, loads are spun properly, though they feel a little more damp than they used to. However, other times, it looks and feels like the machine simply drained and did not spin at all. I can manually reset the cycle to the spin mode and it then usually works.

This doesn't just happen for heavy loads like sheets or blankets, but for loads of kids' clothing, too, so I don't think it is an issue of imbalanced loads (plus, I don't hear the thumping of an imbalanced agitator). If it happened with every load, I would think that it's a belt that needs to be replaced. However, since it happens every few loads, I almost wonder if there is a gear tooth that got chipped off or broken.

So, given the age of the machine, do I try to get it repaired and get a few more years of life out of it, or do we bite the bullet and buy a new machine? While I know that this top-loader is less water efficient than newer models, I like the fact that it doesn't have various electronics and mother-boards that are very expensive to replace when they go bad.

I would hate to spend $90 for a 5-minute evaluation that ends with an appliance repairman saying that it needs to get replaced, but I know that's probably what I will end up having to do.

Anyway, any advice would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 06:20 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
I have a top-load Kenmore washing machine (8.5 years old) that has started to show signs that it either needs to be replaced or repaired.

The spin cycle has started performing unevenly. Overall, loads are spun properly, though they feel a little more damp than they used to. However, other times, it looks and feels like the machine simply drained and did not spin at all. I can manually reset the cycle to the spin mode and it then usually works.

This doesn't just happen for heavy loads like sheets or blankets, but for loads of kids' clothing, too, so I don't think it is an issue of imbalanced loads (plus, I don't hear the thumping of an imbalanced agitator). If it happened with every load, I would think that it's a belt that needs to be replaced. However, since it happens every few loads, I almost wonder if there is a gear tooth that got chipped off or broken.

So, given the age of the machine, do I try to get it repaired and get a few more years of life out of it, or do we bite the bullet and buy a new machine? While I know that this top-loader is less water efficient than newer models, I like the fact that it doesn't have various electronics and mother-boards that are very expensive to replace when they go bad.

I would hate to spend $90 for a 5-minute evaluation that ends with an appliance repairman saying that it needs to get replaced, but I know that's probably what I will end up having to do.

I would at least get an evaluation so you know what the problem is.

If it's the motor or water pump, those plus the cost of labor could be a bit costly. Either way, if the repair gets to be $200+, you may consider that you can get a new top-loader for under $500. That's what I did when my 22-year-old Maytag finally died.

God, I miss that machine!

I like your approach, though, because I also prefer not to have all the electronics.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:23 AM

34,091 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
top-load Kenmore washing machine (8.5 years old)

The spin cycle has started performing unevenly.
Overall, loads are spun properly, though they feel a little more damp than they used to.
However, other times, it looks and feels like the machine simply drained and did not spin at all.
I can manually reset the cycle to the spin mode and it then usually works.

So, given the age of the machine, do I try to get it repaired...
Yes; of course. Or even try to repair it yourself.

Quote:
Start with the owners manual; review the install and the "routine maintenance" protocols.

Then poke around on Youtube a bit for insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frEJhX9Sppw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQK8vnzV_-A

Old 12-31-2014, 06:34 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
8.5yrs is not "old".

By your description it sounds like the controller/timer. There could be a contact or two that are burnt. I had a pair of Kenmores that went 24 yrs before replacing-
The only repairs "I" did were the controller on washer, and the belt on the dryer. The transmission finally went out on the washer- that's when we replaced both.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:03 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,933,459 times
If it was me, I would opt for a new top load washer. Check the sales at Sears. Between the coupons, SYR points and sale, you can pick up a decent top load for around $400. Check out rebate offer by you local utilities company (usually about $50).

I would chose this option because based on my experience with old appliances, they do last quite a while. The pair of washer/dryer that was left in the house I purchased lasted another 2 years. It was 18 years when I got it. On the other hand, low end appliances from the last 10 years? They don't last very long before needing parts repair.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:37 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Consumer Reports says

Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
8.5yrs is not "old".

By your description it sounds like the controller/timer. There could be a contact or two that are burnt. I had a pair of Kenmores that went 24 yrs before replacing-
The only repairs "I" did were the controller on washer, and the belt on the dryer. The transmission finally went out on the washer- that's when we replaced both.
Maybe there is something with the controller and burned contacts. One of the times that the clothes were wet, there was a faint but definite smell of burnt rubber. If that's simple and easy enough to fix, then we would definitely opt for a repair and keep it for a few more years.

In terms of age, I would like for washing machines to last at least 12-15 years. However, I remembered the chart from Consumer Reports that davebarnes posted and thought that perhaps 8.5 years was at the end of the lifespan. I don't have definite to back it up, but I would suspect that the increase in electronics in washing machines corresponds to shorter lifespans. After all, motherboards and water shouldn't mix.

No matter what, with 5 kids at home, my wife and I need a dependable machine, new or repaired.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
You won't like a new one, trust me on that. The units are all 100% plastic from the tub thru the transmission. Life expectancy of the new crap is 8 years. Your old unit probably has a metal transmission and tub and will last longer than you. The ONLY well made washer I'm aware of is the Speed Queen and it's made like the old ones with stainless tubs and metal transmissions. Considering they are pretty basic in function, they are expensive and one will cost you over $800.00 today. Even the Speed Queen though is just about to go into history because in 2017, when our all knowing Gov't, legislated new requirements that a SQ can't hit and remain viable. So my vote goes to either fixing it or buying a Speed Queen. The new crap won't last long and if all you need a washer for is cleaning perfume out, a new one will work fine. But if you get dirty and have dirty laundry, the new ones absolutely suck at cleaning regardless of how much you pay for detergent.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:47 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You won't like a new one, trust me on that. The units are all 100% plastic from the tub thru the transmission. Life expectancy of the new crap is 8 years. Your old unit probably has a metal transmission and tub and will last longer than you. The ONLY well made washer I'm aware of is the Speed Queen and it's made like the old ones with stainless tubs and metal transmissions. Considering they are pretty basic in function, they are expensive and one will cost you over $800.00 today. Even the Speed Queen though is just about to go into history because in 2017, when our all knowing Gov't, legislated new requirements that a SQ can't hit and remain viable. So my vote goes to either fixing it or buying a Speed Queen. The new crap won't last long and if all you need a washer for is cleaning perfume out, a new one will work fine. But if you get dirty and have dirty laundry, the new ones absolutely suck at cleaning regardless of how much you pay for detergent.
That has been my experience with dryers also.

Since Maytag was bought by Whirlpool, their quality has suffered tremendously. I got a new dryer that is an absolute lemon. I have replaced every part inside it, some twice, and it is NOTHING like the 22-year-old Maytag I had before.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Repairs are so easy.
And stand there so when he replaces ONE belt ...he
can't say he did this and this and this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House