Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:10 AM

26 posts, read 82,471 times

Advertisements

This is my worst nightmare. I just bought a two year old house last Friday and after spending a couple hours in it realized I'm reacting to something inside the house and need some help on what it might be.

After I've spent 15-20 minutes in the house from being outside, I notice my eyes start to get a little puffy. After about an hour, they get really red and itchy and stay that way until I leave. Once I get outside, they feel better almost immediately. It seems like I'm reacting to whatever it is throughout the house, not just in a specific location.

I had about 15 friends over on the night I moved in and only one of them mentioned something about their eyes being itchy, but it could have been from my cats.

I have no idea how I missed this during my walk-throughs and home inspection. The house is in Wisconsin and the previous owners built it new and lived there with their two children, but didn't have any pets. The upstairs is carpeted, downstairs is flooring and synthetic wood. My realtor had the carpets cleaned before I moved in, but the cleaners said they use an all-natural cleaner that is hypoallergenic.

I'm not allergic to anything that I know of, and it is only my eyes that are being irritated. No stuffy nose or sneezing. There may be a little tightness in my chest, but it isn't sever enough for me to say definitively.
I don't even know where to start to try to remedy the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Possibility?

chinese drywall symptoms - Google Search

Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 AM

I was concerned about chinese drywall before I moved in, so I called the builder to find out where they got their drywall from. They said it was from a place in Iowa, so I assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 AM

9,288 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Sounds like it's worth going to an allergist for tests. It could be anything from dust to formaldehyde or to the glue they used on the flooring.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:08 AM

I've already got an apt. scheduled with an allergist, but I'm not sure I see how they can test for everything possible in the house. Sorry for being negative, I'm just pretty disappointed I can't enjoy my new house.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR Alex View Post
They said it was from a place in Iowa
Where did the guy in Iowa get the drywall from?

Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where did the guy in Iowa get the drywall from?
It was produced in Iowa and shipped to WI. There is a mine there that they get the gypsum from.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Try opening the doors and windows for a few days (if possible) and run a fan to air out the place. As aforementioned, it could be the glue used on the carpet. It could be the chemicals on the carpet itself. Maybe the paint that was used. Maybe some kind of polyurethane on the wood cabinets or floor. Maybe the chemicals used to clean the house were harsh, etc.

Also, do you think there is a gas leak? is there a septic and maybe a gas is emitting? Underground/buried oil tank on the premises? Nearby gas station, chemical plant, fertilizer business, new construction -- anything that may have emitted something temporarily in the air?

Good luck and hope things go well with the allergist!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,539,630 times
Were the previous owners smokers? If so, the effects from smoke can cling to the walls and ceiling, possibly affecting you, even though you don't smell it.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
Oh boy that's horrible! I wish I could help you but I don't know, as it could be anything. Adhesives, cleaning materials, products.

Did you have the house checked for mold? If there was any leaks inside the walls it could be a hidden issue even.

Indoor Air Pollutants & How to Remove: allergens, formaldehyde gas, radon gas, particulates such as smoke, soot, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, organic compounds, asbestos, and improved make-up air in buildings might contain some thoughts of things to check for.

I hope you get this figured out soon and can enjoy your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House