Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 04:45 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times

Advertisements

I have several nice t shirts i use for exercising. I wash them in warm water with fabric softener and they come out nice and clean on the surface but within a few minutes of exercise there is that musty sweaty smell from them. By contrast my newer t shirts don't have that problem yet but they will in time(all are cotton)

how would i get the sweat out of them, would i just wash them in hot water or mix vinegar into the detergent(would that harm my landlord's washer?)? I don't want to dump them as they are nice shirts and worth keeping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,296,788 times
A couple comments came to mine, and up front, I'm sorry I don't have the real answer.
Observations:
1. It may not be the shirts, it may be your body funk.
2. Shirts are not "all that nice" because they stink.

OK, I asked my wife. She said, do not use fabric softener. Switch detergents. And maybe you are using too much detergent/softener and the shirts are not being rinsed fully, so there is a residue build up.

Sorry for poking fun, but it was too easy. Good luck.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,084,878 times
I haven't used the product myself, but have seen it advertised for the new polyester athletic clothing:

Wash away sweat & odor with WIN Sport Detergent, the Sweatlifter

Old 12-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Default hey thanks a

million man!! Happy Holidays!!

Old 12-14-2009, 07:21 PM

53 posts, read 179,049 times
I have used ammonia in the wash water. This has taken the under smell out of sweaters. Hopefully this helps. Use less detergent when you use ammonia. It is strong so make sure you don't inhale to much of it.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Default thanks so much

for your caring answers. ammonia will not damage the washer and it can be mixed with liquid detergent? is vinegar good too?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:21 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Vinegar will not harm a washer. Wash with 1/2 cup baking soda in the wash cycle added to the detergent, and 1/2 cup plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
We use a detergent that has baking soda, and add white vinegar to the rinse cycle to wash our exercise clothes. I also often add a scoop of Oxyclean. We do an extra rinse.

I also find that it helps to wash in HOT water, despite what the labels say.

If you t-shirts are all-cotton and white you can try chlorine bleach.

If that doesn't take out the funk, consider an enzymatic cleaner such as Simple Solution.

good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:32 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Go to your nearest cheap liquor store and buy a big bottle of cheap vodka...I kid you not!
I have worked in the wardrobe departments of several repertory theatres over the years, we ALWAYS used straight vodka spray on the pits immediately after actors would jettison white shirts, dress and t shirts alike. Get yourself an empty sprayer and fill with cheap vodka.
Spray the pits ( to soaking) with STRAIGHT vodka after wearing and let that sit on them until laundry time.
STOP using fabric softener, that stuff coats the fibers and leaves a filmy residue and helps to seal in the odors. Fabric softener is a waste of money.
As for the shirts that are already funky, I'm afraid you may be stuck with them now that they've been coated in fabric softener + funkiness...you could try the baking soda addition to your laundry detergent.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Go to your nearest cheap liquor store and buy a big bottle of cheap vodka...I kid you not!
I have worked in the wardrobe departments of several repertory theatres over the years, we ALWAYS used straight vodka spray on the pits immediately after actors would jettison white shirts, dress and t shirts alike. Get yourself an empty sprayer and fill with cheap vodka.
Spray the pits ( to soaking) with STRAIGHT vodka after wearing and let that sit on them until laundry time.
STOP using fabric softener, that stuff coats the fibers and leaves a filmy residue and helps to seal in the odors. Fabric softener is a waste of money.
As for the shirts that are already funky, I'm afraid you may be stuck with them now that they've been coated in fabric softener + funkiness...you could try the baking soda addition to your laundry detergent.
That's FABulous! I'll give it a try.

Did you know that vodka can also be used to make super-flakey pie crust? Perhaps we should start another thread on the wonders of vodka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House