Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times

Advertisements

I know ya'll are probably tired of these washer questions, seems to be washer breaking time.

I am a single senior and I don't know if I want to spend almost 2K for a new front load with pedestals. Do I need the pedestals at $200 a pop? The sales guy said I need to get a machine with a built in heater even though my water heater is maybe 8 ft from the washer.

I proably do 6-8 loads a month. Is it worth it when I don't have that much laundry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
I love my front loader on pedestals. I have the Kenmore Elite HE3t It is very quiet. I have a sanitary load setting. The water heats up to just about boiling or supposedly it can sanitize a load of dirty diapers (which I don't have since my kids are way older) so I am not sure why you would need a heater with your water heater 8 ft away! If you don't get the pedestals you might get tired of bending over to load it but if it is 6-8 loads a month that might be ok!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
The pedestals are the biggest SCAM to ever hit the washer/dryer market. We just bought the Kenmore Elite Oasis HE top load washer (and steam dryer) that doesn't have the agitator in the middle. The HE top loaders also have alot less of a chance for getting that mold smell that the front loaders are known for.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
The sales guy said that you need to have a 'heater' in the front load because the washers use so little water that the hot water won't get hot enough.

I agree those pedestals are not worth $200K especially for someone who can buy food for a month with that money. I have never had back problems but just recently pulled a muscle and I would never hae been able to unload the washer or dryer if that happens again.

I did like the Fisher Paykel top loader but from what I read here they are not very reliable.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:26 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I have a Siemens front loader (no longer badged as a Siemens - but built by Bosch). I have the stands, but I don't think that they are necessary either.

You will be amazed at how much water you save as you don't dial the load size, it calculates it! Also, you will need to use High Efficiency Detergent (HE).

Last edited by George Chong; 10-27-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,036 times
Gotta go with the top loader. I had a front loader, and hated it. I would start the wash, then "find" something that needed to go in, and could not put it in. Frustrating. Like putting the laundry in the top and taking it out, seems easier to take things out for some reason, don't know why. Also, this is something that I really hated about the front load washer and dryer, they were put in backwards, or wrong, or whatever, so the doors when opened would meet each other, so you had to go around the washer door, and dryer door to put the clothes in the dryer. The doors should have both opened opposite, so look at the layout of your laundry room, and how the doors will open if you decide to go with a front loader.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
2,000 for a front loader ? I just got an LG from Home Depot for 539.00 Free shipping,install and haul away of my old top loader washer as well !

For older folks or those with back problems, a pedestal may be an important thing to have. I think it should be INCLUDED in the price though. Similar to a Plasma TV that COMES with the stand and you can either wall mount it or put it on a stand. Same concept. I hate when companies try to rip us off with their marketing schemes.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
You don't need a heater for a front loader. I found my energy and water costs significant and I do about the same amount of loads a month as you do, maybe a couple of loads more. I find the laundry coming out more dry out of a front load washer so it dries faster in the dryer as well. Plus, I think there's less issue of a flood happening if the pipe ever breaks since there's not a lot of water in use during the wash cycles. I didn't get the stands. I agree they're overpriced. If I were doing laundry daily, it may have been a different story, but for the amount and frequency I do, it's worth passing up on it.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:26 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I would start the wash, then "find" something that needed to go in, and could not put it in.... he front load washer and dryer, they were put in backwards, or wrong, or whatever, so the doors when opened would meet each other

kek, my front loaders both have a PAUSE button that you can push to add additional laundry. And, as for the doors, I have the same problem. However, the doors can be switched around and any installer should do it automatically. Unfortunately, I got my front loaders at Home Depot, which hires unskilled contractors who dropped off the units and got out of there fast before I realized the doors were wrong. Some day I'll have a handyman reverse the doors for me -- if I keep this darned front loader washer. I really, really dont like it.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:53 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
I agree that you really don't need a heater for normal use. The only time I ever used it was when my hot water was out (on my machine there is a button to activate it) for a few days and I would have been fine washing in cold. I think that for 2k the salesman was trying to sell you alot more than what you actually need. It would be one thing if you were doing laundry for a family of 5 but your needs seem pretty basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House