Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2007, 03:51 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,549,508 times

Advertisements

Just a question for any plumbers/contractors out there.

How hard is it to convert a small bathroom into a bathrrom with a tub? I have a small sink/toilet and powder room that I would like to expand into a regular bathroom- it is adjacent to a large hall bathroom, so I assume the plumbing may be easily connected?

I have no idea. Thanks for any and all responses.

Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 04:11 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,654,423 times
Default I'm no plumber but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Just a question for any plumbers/contractors out there.

How hard is it to convert a small bathroom into a bathrrom with a tub? I have a small sink/toilet and powder room that I would like to expand into a regular bathroom- it is adjacent to a large hall bathroom, so I assume the plumbing may be easily connected?

I have no idea. Thanks for any and all responses.

Sunny

It depends. What type foundation is your house sitting on? Is this a first floor or second floor bath? Where are the plumbing fixtures on the adjacent bath?

Old 05-19-2007, 05:29 PM

This is the second floor bath. We have a full story downstairs. The adjacent bath has a sink on a connecting wall- the tub is on the other side. I have no idea about plumbing!.

s.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
This is the second floor bath. We have a full story downstairs. The adjacent bath has a sink on a connecting wall- the tub is on the other side. I have no idea about plumbing!.

s.
Since it is on a second floor, there should be a sub-floor where you can pretty easily run the plumbing, or go overhead with it. It should not be too hard to do. Just if you are hiring it done, make sure the repairman gives good references, and call them. You also do not need to pay up front, if they demand money up front, don't touch 'em.

If you are a do it yourselfer, my suggestion would be to watch DIY network, they have projects like this all the time, and you can also go to thier website and see instructions for all types of jobs like this.

My husband is a plumber, but he deals with water lines for water systems and for sewage, we just do things ourselves is why I know even this much.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:10 PM

Thank you- that helps. I dont think i wil attempt it myself- they also put the toilet in crooked(strange) they had a mirror above it- I just ripped all the wallpaper down and saw how crooked the thing was put in!

Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 PM

I know when we have questions, we usually find someone at the home stores that is pretty knowledgeable and ask them, usually they can help as well. I have seen a lot of toliets put in strangely, must be a man thing.

One other thing, make sure about any electricity that could be on the wall you are knocking out. Don't want to get shocked. If you have plug ins, light fixtures or light switches on that wall, it has electricity wires running thru it.

If this is the case, make sure power is off before any demolition and that who ever is doing this fixes the wiring correctly so there will be no chance for a fire in the future.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the info again. This is my new project but I will be needing alot of time with Home depot- hopefully it wont be too expensive-The end result with 3 full bathrooms is, I think definitely worth the effort. I also have a basement which I may rent out- so maybe I should get the shower stall ripped out and put a new full tub in-

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House