Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:19 PM

878 posts, read 2,728,888 times

Advertisements

I want to get some items to accent my home and just discovered West Elm....anyone have any thoughts on this store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:39 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,547,988 times
More cheap garbage simular to IKEA. Check out the reviews. A whole page of reviews and not one single nice thing to say about Elm. Not a one.

DealTime: West Elm Compare Prices & Read Reviews

Let me add my review from what I just seen. Freaking ugly as sin!

Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,702,074 times
While I think their furniture is overpriced for what you get, they're fine for accent items if you're looking for that sort of modern-modern look.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,196,022 times
West Elm is the "step down/modernist" arm of Williams-Sonoma Home. While they are definitely cheaper than Williams-Sonoma Home, they are by no means whatsoever in the Ikea range. I cannot comment on quality as I do not own any of their pieces-I have just been in the store. But they did have some very nice decorative elements at pretty reasonable prices.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 4,358 times
I urge you NOT to order from West Elm. Save yourself the trouble and the headache.

The only reason I gave this one star is because I couldn't put zero stars. I have NEVER dealt with a less professional business than West Elm.

I purchased a king size bed frame and head frame. UPS delivered the headboard about a week and a half later. The bed frame was routed to the wrong address and it was only discovered when they called to try to deliver to the wrong state (yes, as in US State). I spent the next 33 days trying to get it re-routed, all the while watching stock dwindle. I called countless times and spent countless hours on the phone about every other day. On the 33rd day I finally got someone willing to do their job and it was finally re-routed.

A week later my bed was delivered. As the delivery crew assembled what should be my king size bed I noticed a number of problems, the biggest being it was not a king size bed, but a full. On top of that they did not have any slats and the cross brace looked to be from a twin and did not cover the width of even the full bed. I called customer service and was told they no longer have that bed in stock and basically I was out of luck. The bed frame went back with the delivery drivers. On top that, the bed that they did put together looked like it would buckle under 10 pounds, the quality simply was NOT there.

I then explained to them that I needed to get a headboard back to them since I did not and would not be getting a bed to attach it to. Had I actually got someone to do their job a month and a half ago this probably would not be a problem. Since I was expecting a bed to attach this headboard to I had discarded the box. In hindsight, my mistake was assuming I was dealing with competent people. I was told they cannot send someone to get this and I would have to find a box to put it in and ship it back to them. Where exactly am I going to find a box to fit a king size headboard?! Not likely...

So basically, for over a month and a half of my time trying to get someone to do their job, more frustration than I thought possible, and most likely money out of my pocket for a huge box to ship this back, I got NOTHING! And it's not even over.

I am still waiting on my refund for the frame, and unless I can figure out how to get a box for the headboard I am out of luck... great way to do business.

I urge you NOT to order from West Elm. Save yourself the trouble and the headache.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,667,905 times
Hmmm... bought the parson's desk and the ellipse bed queen size for my DD.

Had to say I am pretty impressed with the quality for the price, I am more familiar with Ligne Roset & DWR quality since I do love modern furnishings.

I would not put them as the same level as Ikea since they are not of press-board / MDF material but hardwood or iron for the other pieces and the way the pieces came together is quite sturdy unlike Ikea's.

As to the delivery, it was prompt and they call ahead with a time window, even cross checked my phone numbers and I did give one wrong number (sales assoc. took 2 numbers from me).

So I definitely would be purchasing more items from them in the future.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:30 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,865,185 times
The furniture is MDF with veneer, not quality at all.
I've seen better looking accent pieces at Homegoods, and for far less.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM

9,613 posts, read 21,168,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The furniture is MDF with veneer, not quality at all.
Is it MDF or particleboard? MDF is actually a decent product for building furniture and cabinetry, whereas particleboard is a decent product for building cheap furniture that you want to leave by the curb when you move.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:56 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,865,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Is it MDF or particleboard? MDF is actually a decent product for building furniture and cabinetry, whereas particleboard is a decent product for building cheap furniture that you want to leave by the curb when you move.
Depends on what piece it is, I have seen things made from both from West Elm.
By the time you get done paying for shipping, etc, one could buy a gently pre-loved piece made from real wood.
MDF is never an acceptable substitute for marine grade plywood, which is what all decent veneered furniture is made with.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:43 PM

6,649 posts, read 9,205,861 times
I have the "Henry" slipcover armchair and grand sofa from West Elm. They are extremely sturdy, heavy, and have held up great and I happened to buy them when West Elm had a sale, so after tax and shipping, I think I paid around $1300 for both. They're also made in the USA (Mississippi) and definitely not IKEA-grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House