Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,876 times

Advertisements

re-install as non-vented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemaw View Post
The microwave has a damper on the unit, but that seems to be running okay.

How would you know? You can't see it once it is installed.
Here's some reading, Pay particular attention to the "damper" that is supplied with the microwave. How and where it should go.
http://guides.homeeverything.com/cache/FRDSIKHAAKWV.PDF

It sounds like the damper is missing.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,466,893 times
You don't need a vent from the microwave to the outside, you need a vent from the hood under the microwave to the outside.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 934 times
How is it that so many people have not heard of outside venting. Most if not all microwaves have the option ( like ultrarunner mentioned) to vent outside or recirculate. It does depend on the type of dwelling it is installed in. An apartment building usually does not vent outside, but a lot of single family homes do.

I agree. It's most likely a leaky or stuck open flapper vent on the roof. I have the same problem and have a replacement roof vent to install when it gets warmer.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:17 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Interesting as we have a new microwave/exhaust hood combo awaiting installation. The existing vent/hood is vented through the roof. I love the exhaust fan! POWERFUL! If it weren't encased in a monster gold metal hood.

I thought the two problems were unrelated until someone else said they have the same problem. Hmm... My contractor guy needs to hear this.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:45 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
All new over the range microwave ovens come with an exhaust adaptor (item #1) in the pdf instructions below. The adapter has a rectangular damper, and its function is to block air from coming down the exhaust duct.
https://content.abt.com/documents/60...SS_install.pdf

Disconnect the rectangular-to-round transition adapter that is on the cabinet's floor above the oven. The rectangular-to-round transition adapter is connected to the exhaust adaptor. So if you remove the "rectangular-to-round transition adaptor, and look down through the hole on the floor, you should see an air damper. If you don't see the damper, make sure that it's not just stuck on the open position. But if the damper is not there, get somebody to do the work properly,

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-17-2016 at 09:53 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 561 times
I have the same problem but mine is vented straight out of the back wall. They changed the flapper but my cabinets are 40 degrees and it feels like an arctic breeze coming in. What can I do to stop it?

Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Did you even read the previous post?

"They changed the flapper"- what exactly does that mean?

If you have an "arctic blast" coming in- that would mean there is no flapper; or it was installed backwards.

Old 12-20-2017, 07:51 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
This stumps me based on the info we have. But ya know what? That is an idea there. If the home is so air tight, then when the furnace is on and that return duct is sucking air in and the only place it can come from is the microwave, that could cause it to be cold. Simply the vent hood on the roof will not allow that much cold into the micro. Some negative pressure can force it in though.

That error F7 thing sounds like the micro has an electronic problem.
You are correct about the furnace, or even the clothes dryer, or a bathroom exhaust fan sucking air into the house through the microwave exhaust fan's vent. A home with an HVAC system can compensate for the negative air in the house. However, one can bring combustion air to the furnace from outside the hone via a 2" to 4" duct.

Microwave dampers aren't very air tight, and a backdraft right throughs the damper is created when some of the appliances above come on. The OP can troubleshoot the problem when having all the appliances off, then stand by the microwave oven felling for cold air when either the furnace or the clothes dryer is turned on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House