Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:33 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times

Advertisements

Coming from TN, I thought I was pretty well versed in CHA/heat pump use. We recently bought a home here in NM- 1860 sq ft, stucco over frame, pretty well insulated two story with a vaulted ceiling in half of the lower portion (so great access for the heat to progress upstairs). The heat pump was installed within the past few years by the previous error. We have the standard couple of TVs, kitchen appliances, washer, dryer etc.... nothing that would cause a massive energy drain.
Temps here have been ranging from single digits all the way to 50s- some days during the daytime the heat doesn't kick in at all- with the sun the inside temps surpass the 70 degrees we have the thermostat set at.
I did notice that the heat pump is running on emergency heat ALL the time, even if the system is set on aux. I just assumed there were some wires crossed somewhere and it was working properly- that perhaps something was wonky in the thermostat, showing emergency heat regardless. After all, the property disclosure stated all was okay with the system. And once I recieved my first electric bill of 427.xx, I dang near died.
Could there be something wrong with the system that would make it run on emergency heat, regardless of manual setting but still allow the system to function?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:48 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
If you are getting emergency heat all the time, that means (probably) the heat pump itself is not working. If the compressor is running, and the fan outside is blowing, check that nothing is blocking air from getting to the outside coils - if these simple things check out, probably you need to call for service. If it's only 2 years old, you may get some warranty consideration, worth asking about.

Professional repair of the heat pump is not going to be cheap, but as you already see letting it run the way it is is'nt cheap either.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:55 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you are getting emergency heat all the time, that means (probably) the heat pump itself is not working.
We had a similar situation. Turns out the cables to the outdoor unit vibed loose. Check cables and wires to the units that vibrate.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Check the larger copper line on the outside unit. If you have the t-stat set on heat then that line should be at least warm to the touch unless it's in defrost mode. In defrost mode the outdoor unit will be on but the outdoor fan will be off. You might see steam rising from the top of the unit.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We had a similar situation. Turns out the cables to the outdoor unit vibed loose. Check cables and wires to the units that vibrate.
Taking proper electrical safety precautions first, of course...

Good point.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:18 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
A heat pump will not provide heat at single digit only down to 25 will you get any heat at all.We live in North FL and rarely do we get down near 20.at that time I use gas heater.If you live in cold climate you need auxillary heat.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
A heat pump will not provide heat at single digit only down to 25 will you get any heat at all.We live in North FL and rarely do we get down near 20.at that time I use gas heater.If you live in cold climate you need auxillary heat.
How so? I have a friend in S. Dakota with an air source heat pump who needs no aux. heat source in the winter.

I am in the process of having a ground source heat pump installed. For the price I'd better not have to have auxillary heat!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
That's not true. The performance charts of any HP can prove that wrong. If that were true they, AHRI, wouldn't provide a heat output, in btus, at 17°F.

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridir...ultSearch.aspx

Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How so? I have a friend in S. Dakota with an air source heat pump who needs no aux. heat source in the winter.

I am in the process of having a ground source heat pump installed. For the price I'd better not have to have auxillary heat!
A GSHP takes advantage of the fact the the temp. in the ground is very stable, around 55°F.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:02 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,249,847 times
Well, if I didn't make a big Freudian slip there, lol!

I'll check everything listed out tomorrow. I do know that i've heard the outside unit kicking on occasionally, obviously not below certain temps. We had an older unit in TN that liked to ice up at the slightest provocation, so I got used to checking it regularly.
I'm also stopping by the electric company this evening to check prior usage to see if this was something the previous owner knew about and neglected to list on the disclosure (like the over the stove microwave that runs but doesn't heat anything up) or if it's something that has occurred since she vacated the house.
I'll let y'all know what I kind out, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House