Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,252 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I know there are some previous posts on this, but wanted to check the latest word from owners. We need to buy a new washer & dryer set and are interested in a top loader washer, ideally one without an agitator, which seems to classify it as an HE unit. We are not interested in front loaders because we've had them in our rental unit and have the smell problem (and, with young kids, were not interested in leaving the washer door open to prevent said smell).

Anyone have an HE top loader without agitator you are happy with? I'm seeing some pretty mixed reviews online for almost every brand (clothes tangling, not clean enough, electronics issues, etc).... but I realize folks tend to post a review when they have a problem.

We might also consider one with an agitator (and therefore not HE)

thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
What do you mean by "HE"? Is that High Efficiency?

Also, I'm really not sure what you're referring to regarding "the smell problem" with front-load washers. We've had an ultra-efficient front-load LG Washer for about 5 years now. There is absolutely no smell. Is there something I'm missing here?

That said, I have no recommendations for a non-agitator top load washer. Sorry...

Old 01-02-2010, 04:15 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
There's apparently a class action suit surrounding the Calypso washers because of eighteen different reasons of suck, so I'd avoid that family of washers.

Whirlpool Named in Class Action Suit

Old 01-02-2010, 04:17 PM

320 posts, read 2,529,252 times
Hi Omaha... High Efficiency yes thanks for clarifying.

Glad to hear you are not having any issues with your front loader. If you google front loader smell or front loader mold you will see there are a good number of folks having mold issues inside which translate into musty smelling clothes. Some seem to have no issues at all, and it's been suggested to keep the door of the front loader open when not in use to prevent mold grown.

Anyhow, I'll see if anyone else chimes in on the top loaders. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Hi Omaha... High Efficiency yes thanks for clarifying.

Glad to hear you are not having any issues with your front loader. If you google front loader smell or front loader mold you will see there are a good number of folks having mold issues inside which translate into musty smelling clothes. Some seem to have no issues at all, and it's been suggested to keep the door of the front loader open when not in use to prevent mold grown.

Anyhow, I'll see if anyone else chimes in on the top loaders. Thanks.
Hmmmm... Interesting. Apparently we fall under the category of "some seem to have no issues at all." It might be because ours is a higher-end LG pair.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,009,296 times
Yep. I'm with you there Omaha. We have the front loading LG and have had no problem...wiping the gasket after using is really the only thing that I have to do maintenance wise, it keeps the smell away...

Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yep. I'm with you there Omaha. We have the front loading LG and have had no problem...wiping the gasket after using is really the only thing that I have to do maintenance wise, it keeps the smell away...
My wife is pretty fastidious about stuff like that, so I'm sure that's part of our success too.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,122 times
We bought a HE (no agitator) washer and have been using it since June. I am happy with it. I was previously happy with my 18 year old Kenmore top loader, but it conveyed with our old house when we moved.
I've heard both good and bad about the front loaders. Owners I know say they keep the door open to prevent odor. That would block the traffic flow through our combined laundry/mud room so that was a consideration for us. Also our laundry room is on a framed floor (engineered I- joists and subfloor) and I read the high speed spin cycle of front loaders could cause vibrations.
I bought the GE 3.5 cu ft IEC King-Size Capacity washer. It makes some odd clicks and sounds very space age when spinning but I cannot hear any noise when the laundry room door is closed. The only time see any twisting of laundry is when I do a load of sheets, the same as with my old agitator washer. The GE does compress the clothing more because of the high spin speeds. The upside of that is that there is so little remaining water in the fabric, the clothes dry VERY quickly and reduce my dryer usage. Vibration is not even noticeable, the old Kenmore spin cycle shook my house much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House