Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM

632 posts, read 1,843,696 times

Advertisements

We've never had heat pumps before (came from IL, had gas heat), but I'm hearing a lot about them in our new location, NC. Don't like what I'm hearing--can't get warm enough, bad smells (which I'm getting from the one in our apartment right now), etc.

We will have gas lines run to the house and would probably like gas heat like we've always had. The house will be just under 3500 sf and an unfinished basement.

Is there a reason to have a heat pump? To avoid one? What's my best choice?

Thanks!
Tabby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 12:07 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,367,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
We've never had heat pumps before (came from IL, had gas heat), but I'm hearing a lot about them in our new location, NC. Don't like what I'm hearing--can't get warm enough, bad smells (which I'm getting from the one in our apartment right now), etc.

We will have gas lines run to the house and would probably like gas heat like we've always had. The house will be just under 3500 sf and an unfinished basement.

Is there a reason to have a heat pump? To avoid one? What's my best choice?

Thanks!
Tabby
The advantage of a heat pump is that it is more efficient in energy usage (because it moves heat instead of creating it from scratch (i.e. a fire)), but of course you would have to use electric to run it. So it depends on your electric versus gas costs. Also, a geothermal heat pump is the most efficient, but cost the most. For your size house, a gas furnace is probably the least expensive to build in. You should compare the pricing on the high efficiency (~95%) versus regular (80%).

The other major thing about a heat pump is that it's used in summer and winter, it just reverses the direction it pumps the heat.

Last edited by f_m; 01-09-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:59 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
The dirty sock syndrome you are referring to does not occur in heat pumps that have gas as its backup heat. The reason being that the coil is located after the burners in a gas-backup setup and the higher temperatures from the gas kill the bacteria that causes the dirty sock syndrome. In electric backup heat situations the electric heating strips are located after the indoor coil and the temperature that goes across the coil never reaches high enough levels to kill the bacteria.

Of course all that can be avoided by having your coils cleaned regularly no matter what system you have.

As to whether you should choose a heat pump or not that would depend on what your fuel cost are and what your electric rates are.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
If you will have central air, it is a no-brainer to install a heat pump instead. The cost difference isn't that great. Have gas installed as the back-up heat source and you get to choose. Use the heat pump on the chilly days, switch to gas on the really cold ones. You'll end up being comfortable and saving money.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Ultimately it will come down to fuel cost. As "BJ" noted you can have other forms of backup heat- not just electric.
I prefer gas heat, because I can still have heat if there is an extended power outage (I tap into gas line and use space heater.
I also prefer at least a gas cooktop- can cook with extended power outage.

But it also depends on what region of the country you're in-
R/D/CH, NC is like right on the line of Zone 4 and 3. So, depending on what the average annual temps are it may be cheaper to use a heat pump vs. conventional HVAC. Check the DoE website for your area specifically (for zone) and how that compares with annual cost of the two different systems.
And there are lots of other things you can do to improve the overall proformance, i.e., thermal windows, 2X6 walls, no vaulted/ 2story areas, etc.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

If a location was provided I could relay the design temperatures from the ACCA Manual J specifications.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 PM

632 posts, read 1,843,696 times
Wow, lots to think about when choosing..... Thanks.

Our location is the Raleigh-Durham area in NC.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm moving there soon, howdy neighbor. Anyways...

The heating design temperature for R/D area is 20°F. What that means is that 99% of the time the temperature will be at or above 20°F. At 20°F -- with most systems -- the COP (coefficient of performance) will be around 2.5. That means for every watt that your heat pump uses it can move 2.5 times the amount of heat than it would if it just used electric backup heat -- the heat that would be introduced via electric backup heat. As the temperatures rise outside that COP increases and usually finds a maximum of 4.5 (4.5 times the amount of heat electric backup heat would produce per watt) before it's not recommended to use, because of outdoor temperatures and their ill effects on system longevity, from the manufacturer.

The design temperature for cooling is 90°F. What that means is only 1% of the time will temperatures be above that so it should not be designed for the extreme cases where it may be 98°F et al. This saves money for you at the cost of a little comfort on those extreme days. It should also be noted that on, or above/below, those design temperatures the HVAC system should run continuously if it's designed correctly.

Basically all that means is you have the smallest system needed to keep you comfortable the majority of the time. In the long run that saves you money on the initial investment and its use over the long-run.

Installing a New System (http://www.acca.org/consumer/installing/ - broken link)
http://www.acca.org/Files/?id=186

By the way our climate is perfect for heat pumps. Not too cold, not too hot. All the rest of your decisions should be based on cost of fuel, cost of electricity and what your family and yourself most desire. Some people just prefer the warmer temperatures that come from the vents of a system that uses gas.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Heat pumps are very popular here as cooling is more important and never heard a comlpaint aboutsmell. It really depends on the length of warm season as to how econmical overall they are IMO. For our climate they are fine and overall save and pay fpor themselves. If you don't have the moeny tehn elctric air and natural gas forced air. Some of the new ways of supplementing heat pumps is also catching on in many places.Seems I heard recently about natural gas supplement but have really searched. Certainly has prices for energy intial cost is becoming less of a factor if its cheaper to run.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
You can compare fuels with this calculator including a ASHP, be sure to follow the directions on the bottom because you need to adjust input based on where you live:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls

If you don't have Excel you can install Open Office to work with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House