Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM

25 posts, read 173,215 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Yes, this is just a prelim drawing with no details on cabinets yet. But here's a few quick explanations based on what people have said/asked:

mp - is actually dw (upside down), so that's the dishwasher
tc - trash compactor

- reason prep sink is not on the island is because I really wanted the island absolutely clear of anything (I don't like anything on the island) so unless that is an absolutely horrible idea, I had wanted to keep the prep sink on the other wall, to kind of have two work triangles and reduce distances to get to the sink otherwise (if there was only the main sink)

- the built-in microwave is above the 2 ovens. That's how it is planned now, and I'd ideally like it near the fridge, but don't want to lose more wall cabinets, which is what will happen if we do that.

The biggest change I'm considering is putting the fridge where the ovens/microwave are to avoid the door slamming into the wall thing, and more the ovens/microwave to where the fridge is... So I'm hoping its not a bad idea to do that for any reason....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 AM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
The fridge up against the wall doesn't bother me -- although you could easily swap the ovens and the fridge -- but the sink being so far away from the stove does. I'd move the sink and dishwasher to the island and ditch the prep sink altogether.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The fridge up against the wall doesn't bother me -- although you could easily swap the ovens and the fridge -- but the sink being so far away from the stove does. I'd move the sink and dishwasher to the island and ditch the prep sink altogether.
You are right. Fridges are always better next to a wall but not a built-in fridge. Built-in fridges should be next to a tall pantry cabinet.

Another rule of thumb which is quite commonly ignored is NEVER NEVER NEVER put a tall oven cabinet right next to a free standing fridge or a built-in fridge.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM

I figure if I interchange the ovens with fridge, then the area to the rigth of the new fridge location (on the drawing) could be used for preparing things like drinks/salads etc (anything that doesn't require heat), while the side that will have the cooktop, ovens, microwave etc can be used to cook hot foods.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home2010 View Post
Thanks for the feedback so far!

Yes, this is just a prelim drawing with no details on cabinets yet. But here's a few quick explanations based on what people have said/asked:

mp - is actually dw (upside down), so that's the dishwasher
tc - trash compactor

- reason prep sink is not on the island is because I really wanted the island absolutely clear of anything (I don't like anything on the island) so unless that is an absolutely horrible idea, I had wanted to keep the prep sink on the other wall, to kind of have two work triangles and reduce distances to get to the sink otherwise (if there was only the main sink)

- the built-in microwave is above the 2 ovens. That's how it is planned now, and I'd ideally like it near the fridge, but don't want to lose more wall cabinets, which is what will happen if we do that.

The biggest change I'm considering is putting the fridge where the ovens/microwave are to avoid the door slamming into the wall thing, and more the ovens/microwave to where the fridge is... So I'm hoping its not a bad idea to do that for any reason....
I dont blame you for wanting to keep the island clear. Have you ever considered a 3 compartment sink on that peninsula? Then you would not need the small prep sink.

A micro can only be placed over a single oven, never a double oven. Keep that in mind too. In basic kitchens without a hood like you have we put the micro above the free standing range of course......

If you put even a narrow, say 15" pantry against the wall and the fridge next you will not have that worry about the fridge door hitting the wall. Besides, all fridges today have what is called zero clearance door swings which means the door swing does not intrude outside its space.

I am not sure why you want to put the micro near the fridge but I dont see any reason from a design standpoint why not.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I am not sure why you want to put the micro near the fridge but I dont see any reason from a design standpoint why not.
Because nearly everything, (except maybe to reheat a cup of coffee) that goes into the micro comes from the Freezer or Fridge.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Because nearly everything, (except maybe to reheat a cup of coffee) that goes into the micro comes from the Freezer or Fridge.
Well now that is a really good point. I would not tell some one to put it there but you have a good reason why it's not such a bad idea.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,049,743 times
We entertain often and I cook for days sometimes - I like my fridge, microwave, stove, access to pots and pans, large sinks (I like to drop dirty prep dishes in hot soapy water while I'm cooking) and prep area all within one or two steps of eachother. Things seem a little too spread out for my taste. I guess that is why chefs say that a galley kitchen design is the most efficient style of kitchen.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM

what I have found is that the configuration that is ideal for one person, can become hell when you have several cooks. My kitchen right now is perfect for one cook - everything is within reach. Oven, microwave and cooktop are all in the same place together. As soon as there is a bigger function and we have 2 cooks or more in the same kitchen, everyone is in everyone's way.
I'm sure it is impossible to design an "ideal" kitchen, but I would be happy to at least avoid designing one with some completely "stupid" flaws that will irritate me every day.
Like someone had mentioned, I'd like to have continous counter space between cooktop and sink. I have found that this is important to me - hence the prep sink where it is, not to mention that I prefer an island that is clear of anything.
Having a microwave near the fridge is nice, and I wanted that for the reason that its convenient since everything pretty much goes from fridge to microwave. But I will lose a wall cabinet if I do that, instead of stacking the microwave above the ovens.

btw, I DO see configurations with a microwave above 2 ovens - the bottom oven is just really low - 4 inches off the ground.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I still contend that the ovens should be more out of the way than the refrigerator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House