U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:59 AM

487 posts, read 1,680,465 times

Advertisements

Is this something a do-it yourselfer can do? I priced this out with a builder and they said it cost from $2800 and up. Is there a carpenter here who knows what's involved in doing this. The only thing I can see as hard is getting the roofing material to match my existing roof. I wish they had prebuilt kits. Here's a pic for reference

and its going on this home
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a front Portico?-0809091818a.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,805,260 times
We plan to do the similar thing (no stairs) and contractor gave us a quote for 2000 dollars (labor only). Unfortunately, we will need to do zone variance before we can do this portico as our zone require 50' setback at the front.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:59 AM

I will check to see if there is any zoning issues with mine(I doubt it). I know that I'll need a permit, I have been looking online to see if there are any step by step instructions and found a few sources. I also went through ServiceMagic to see if I can get multiple contractors to give me better quotes.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 AM

10,766 posts, read 19,114,072 times
I don't know what the building code situation is up there, but anything down here that requires adding a roof to an area involves both permit issues and a state-licensed specialty roofing contractor. But if you're Atlanta area, you probably don't have the same windstorm issues we do.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 AM

15,496 posts, read 57,932,217 times
The proportions won't be correct.
You'd want the keystone to be below the ceiling line, or an "open ceiling". The distance between the top of the door and the bottom of the window would only allow a shed roof- and that would have a very shallow pitch- too shallow for shingles. You'd have to do a standing seam metal roof (I think copper would look good with your current house colors).
But as I stated to begin with- the proportions won't be correct- so I would strongly recommend you reconsider.
My personal recommendation- an awning.
something like this:

Or this:

Or something similar to this (as far as shape):

And an awning would probably be cheaper. No permits- setback wouldn't have been a problem anyway because your garage sticks out farther than the front entry. And you'd probably have an easier time getting the awning by the HOA.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,805,260 times
yes, you will need to apply for permit. My husband draw the plan by himself after discussing with contractor. As I recall, you need to show how you are going to frame the roof, size of lumber, supporting poles and the measurement.

Our previous unlicensed contractor suggested awning as well. However, it makes me think of commercial place. I wouldn't mind to do it in the back door or patio door, but I feel that it looks kind of silly in the front.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

I was wondering about the distance between the door and the window-if it will have enough pitch for the roofing but the sample pic I have above seems fairly close to my home. I would rather have nothing than put those awning things up-those belong on a store or back patio. If that wont work, I could go with this-there are other homes like mine in our subdivion that have these porticos

P.S- I am the Chairman of the ARC in my subdivision, so getting it approved by the HOA wont be an issue.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM

15,496 posts, read 57,932,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
P.S- I am the Chairman of the ARC in my subdivision, so getting it approved by the HOA wont be an issue.
That's good! I got a good laugh from that.

Your other example is an alternative to what I mentioned. It's basically a shed roof but with hipped sides. I understand people's rejection about awnings (business/storefront) but, understand it's purpose and cost. And with the right design and color it can be as nice or nicer than your purposed. I myself have an awning on the front entry, along with my neighbor across the street, a couple of doors down, a house around the corner...

Another thing I noticed- if the intent was to use the existing stoop (which appears to be the same width as the entry unit- 5'), it's going to look a little odd with the lanterns outside the perameter of the porch itself- unless you move , repair brick, etc.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 24,912,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAB6120 View Post
Is this something a do-it yourselfer can do? I priced this out with a builder and they said it cost from $2800 and up. Is there a carpenter here who knows what's involved in doing this. The only thing I can see as hard is getting the roofing material to match my existing roof. I wish they had prebuilt kits. Here's a pic for reference.
Yes, a do-it-yourselfer could build that. But I'd strongly advise you NOT to try it, unless you've done a lot of carpentry work. This is not novice-level stuff.

One of the problems is that it's not in a place you can screw up a little. It's on the front of your house. Everybody will be able to see any imperfection.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 29,773 times
Default 12" between window & door...

I have been trying to find a portico solution for my house.. I have a huge window just above my front door, and I can't seem to find a contractor that has a good solution. I stumbled on this thread while looking for an image of something that could work.. Does anyone have any suggestions, or know if this is even do-able while still improving the curb-appeal? Please help.. (Attaching pic - there is literally 12 in of space btw top of door & bottom of window.)
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a front Portico?-dsc02389.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House