Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times

Advertisements

I pay $80 for once a month. 3 bedroom, 2.5 baths. It takes her about 5 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 AM

224 posts, read 946,923 times
My kids (teens) and I clean our whole 2100+ sq ft house every Friday. By "clean" I mean dust/polish all the furniture, sweep and vacuum all the floors and upholstery, clean windows, clean the bathroom, wipe down kitchen counters and stove, deal with whatever trash/laundry/dishes are still left from during the week, pick up, clean pet stuff, etc. It takes us a good four hours with all three of us working nonstop. When my kids grow up and move away you can bet your butt I'll hire a cleaning service. Totally worth it!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Nonny Mouse View Post
My kids (teens) and I clean our whole 2100+ sq ft house every Friday. By "clean" I mean dust/polish all the furniture, sweep and vacuum all the floors and upholstery, clean windows, clean the bathroom, wipe down kitchen counters and stove, deal with whatever trash/laundry/dishes are still left from during the week, pick up, clean pet stuff, etc. It takes us a good four hours with all three of us working nonstop. When my kids grow up and move away you can bet your butt I'll hire a cleaning service. Totally worth it!
And your kids will not have to - good for you. My kids on the other hand . . . well they are nearly ideal kids, but cleaning? What is that? I hope they manage to afford a cleaning person becase they will have a tough time developing the skills and discipline - or they will have a messy home.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:30 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
We pay $80.00 a week for cleaning a 2000 sf home, plus she washes off the front porch and screened in pool deck. We have had the same person for 5 years and trust her, she does a great job. She brings her own supplies.

She does windows too! Besides the normal cleaning- She changes the bed linens, folds an puts away laundry. I ususally leave the towels, extra blankets, and sheets, kitchen towels and cloth napkins for her to do. She will move clutter to clean if I don't have time. We do however try to keep a pretty clutter free home.

Ocassionally I have her on an extra day to clean out the fridge, help me clean out a closet, or deep clean the utility area. She also has helped me out serving and cleaning for some of my larger parties.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:27 PM

224 posts, read 946,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
And your kids will not have to - good for you. My kids on the other hand . . . well they are nearly ideal kids, but cleaning? What is that? I hope they manage to afford a cleaning person becase they will have a tough time developing the skills and discipline - or they will have a messy home.
Thanks! Hopefully my kids will actually remember how to clean once they're grownups, LOL. Sometimes I look at my daughter's room between cleanings and get a little fearful.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:19 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,880 times
$35 for just the downstairs area.. baths, vac, mop, kitchen counters, sink, stove, some furniture polished and my nasty outdoor porch cleaned. The baths and porch alone are worth it to me. Of course two days later the dust bunnies and floor trash begin reappearing..

Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,997 times
really surprise me how cheap your cleaning ladies are, even the post is 2 years old, i don't recall charging so poor fare. I am a cleaning lady working about 6 years in New York, Brooklyn area. For a 2 stories house, 2 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, I expend 5 hours hard work, not a single minute of rest, sweating to make my eyes burn, not time for lunch ... I charge $ 150- 170. please be advised that I am not paid for my vacations( I didn't take vacations in years!) sickness (no health insurance) not transportation, or any benefits. When my clients leaves their homes on vacations I am not paid .I have to mention that my kind and respected customers gives me the Christmas bonus which is regularly one service value payment. I am still have clients that I charge 90$ for a studio or 1 bedroom apt. I work for them years now, I hope they increase my salary soon?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
I have a house cleaning service and I charge $150 for the first cleaning and $75 bi/weekly. If you decide to go weekly the cost lowers..bi/weekly the client has accumulated more dirt and dust. 1500sqft home. We do everything the client request. My overhead consist of mainly maintaining supplies, equipment and transportation.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What overhead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
marketing, advertising, liability insurance, workers comp, unemployment, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, my cleaning lady has none of that overhead. Maybe the gas to get to the house.
I used to clean houses when I was in college. I liked being left alone and 99% of the time people were generally clean so it wasn't a disgusting job. I wont go into the bachelors that once hired us and were promptly dropped from the client list Anyway, liability ins. is important. We got a one time job of cleaning an empty house so it could be put on the market. The woman that hired us had just lost her mother and she was preparing the house to sell. A girl I was working with was walking through the house with a jug of bleach. It slipped out of her hand, hit the carpet, cap popped off and.... boosh! The living room carpet instantly was discolored. The owner flipped out. She was already emotionally frayed but seeing that bleach, sent her over the edge. The owner of the company (our boss) came out and calmed down the owner, said that the carpet would be dyed to match or completely replaced. My boss later told me she ended up replacing the carpet. The dye didnt take. It wasn't cheap carpet either. Mishaps happen so its good to be covered.

ETA: I worked for a small company owned by one woman. Back in the early 90's she charged 35 a week, 4 hrs. for us to come out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House