Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

We just ordered French Doors for our house. We are also going to replace all of the interior doors in the house.

All of the hinges on the doors we are ordering are brass. I thought brass was out and if it is why do the new doors come with brass?

So my question, if I want silver/nickel handles and knobs what do I do about the hinges. Does everyone change them out? Do people leave them? Paint them?

It seems like such a waste since all of the hinges are brand new.

Thanks for the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
We just ordered French Doors for our house. We are also going to replace all of the interior doors in the house.

All of the hinges on the doors we are ordering are brass. I thought brass was out and if it is why do the new doors come with brass?

So my question, if I want silver/nickel handles and knobs what do I do about the hinges. Does everyone change them out? Do people leave them? Paint them?

It seems like such a waste since all of the hinges are brand new.

Thanks for the comments.
What you are seeing is not brass but a brass colored white metal. Cheap indeed but accepted in the industry as normal.

In high end homes you will see real solid brass but you will not usually find these for sale in those big box stores. They are not cheap and I dont think you want to put them in a flip house. A buyer might say wow but it will not add any value to the home. The best and most beautiful hinges are made by Baldwin.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:15 PM

25 posts, read 343,978 times
Default Hinges should match handles

All your door hardware should match. If you can't order the new doors with the hinge color you want, then you can get new hinges yourself. Have them ready for the door installers to save yourself a little work. They are not expensive - you can get them at Lowes, Home Depot, or order online. If you bought prehung doors, you'll need to know the size and shape to buy. Usually either 3.5 or 4.5 inch, with squared or rounded corners.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 AM

Thanks. I figured I would have to buy new hinges. Oh well, just another project.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
What you are seeing is not brass but a brass colored white metal. Cheap indeed but accepted in the industry as normal.

In high end homes you will see real solid brass but you will not usually find these for sale in those big box stores. They are not cheap and I dont think you want to put them in a flip house. A buyer might say wow but it will not add any value to the home. The best and most beautiful hinges are made by Baldwin.

Why would solid brass be in high end homes? Isn't that style dated?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Why would solid brass be in high end homes? Isn't that style dated?
Dated? Brass is out of style for kitchen hardware but not interior or exterior door hardware. I was talkng about real solid brass. A cheap brass colored hinge from the big box store cost a couple dollars. A solid brass hinge set cost over $20.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Dated? Brass is out of style for kitchen hardware but not interior or exterior door hardware. I was talkng about real solid brass. A cheap brass colored hinge from the big box store cost a couple dollars. A solid brass hinge set cost over $20.

It still looks like brass. Either way I would never spend that much for hinges. It's just not pratical in my life.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
Quote:
It still looks like brass. Either way I would never spend that much for hinges. It's just not pratical in my life.
This is what 80+ year old solid brass hinges look like:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8479-door.html

They support equally old solid-core eight-panel doors (i.e. HEAVY) with nary a squeak nor creak. Completly re-build-able and they respond well to a bit of lube.

Good idea to keep on file for your "forever" home, but you are right: probably not the $$$ you want to spend on a flip house.

DS is right on target with this one.

p.s. for those who love old hardware, take a tour of the Texas State Capitol some time and have a gander at that door hardware. OMG!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
This is what 80+ year old solid brass hinges look like:

//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...8479-door.html

They support equally old solid-core eight-panel doors (i.e. HEAVY) with nary a squeak nor creak. Completly re-build-able and they respond well to a bit of lube.

Good idea to keep on file for your "forever" home, but you are right: probably not the $$$ you want to spend on a flip house.

DS is right on target with this one.

p.s. for those who love old hardware, take a tour of the Texas State Capitol some time and have a gander at that door hardware. OMG!

Thanks for the link. Very nice old door and old hinges.

I can really admire the older workmanship. Things just aren't made like that anymore.

Last edited by ylisa7; 01-14-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2010, 04:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Baldwin makes hinges that look like that but work on bearings. They are very expensive I think that they were $60 each some time ago. The balls on the end of the hing pins are fake on the bladwin ones becasue there are no hinge pins. You can get them in any finish that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House