Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 PM

354 posts, read 2,424,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
If this is your unit then I do not see any method to proceed any further. http://www.heatilator.com/downloads/...s/4044_132.pdf

From your description they appear to have built framed fireplace opening to fit that particular unit's size. The decorative surround normally is in place to cover the open space between the unit and its framed opening. If you are still hearing that sound from the fireplace area I would recommend replacing the decorative shroud and speaking with the builder since you say the home is less than a year old. At this point the unit might have to be partially disconnected/disassembled to remove it from the framed opening for further inspection. You have a gas line connected to it and I would not be trying anything further.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an optional outside air kit installed (see page 23 of the link above)? Is it possible you are hearing water dripping from above and striking it? Has the dripping sound stopped yet? If so when was the last rain?
Thanks so much Escanlan. Yes I do have the optional air kit. I haven't heard the dripping sound since that night. It actually rained yesterday and today and no drip! It had also rained prior to me hearing the dripping sound and I hadn't heard it. It was a one time thing, I just didn't want it to be a chance that water was leaking within a wall or something of that nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 AM

3,039 posts, read 8,327,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
Thanks so much Escanlan. Yes I do have the optional air kit. I haven't heard the dripping sound since that night. It actually rained yesterday and today and no drip! It had also rained prior to me hearing the dripping sound and I hadn't heard it. It was a one time thing, I just didn't want it to be a chance that water was leaking within a wall or something of that nature.
If the dripping was a result of heavy rains it might indicate either wind blown rain or potentially heavy rain over running part of the structures provisions for protecting against moisture penetration. There are many potential causes but they should be checked.

If it was wind blown rain into the flue then possibly you do not have a proper, or properly installed, rain cap on the chimney chase. If you have a typical wood chimney chase (see here for examples FireplacesNow.com: For gas fireplaces, electric fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces and stoves (http://www.fireplacesnow.com/Chimney_Chase_Info.htm - broken link)) it could be the chase was not properly wrapped/flashed under the siding and trim which can allow blowing rains in. If it was the heavy rain coming down it could be improper rain cap, flashing issues around the chimney chase, etc.

I would have the issue checked out to prevent any long term degradation from rains. When it is checked it is important that the attic area around the chimney chase also be checked for signs of staining that can potentially identify the cause. If you have had consistent rains your way you might also wish to consider having an infrared imaging scan be performed around the interior of the home close to the source of the dripping sound. Thermal imaging can help identify potential water penetration issues without destructive inspections such as removing sheetrock, etc.

If you decide to have the issue checked in any method I would highly consider hiring your own independent person to perform the checks/inspection. It is worth the cost to have someone with no financial interest in the results of an inspection to perform it. If you need names or potential references please email me and I will help where I can.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,117 times
Default Dripping sound on metal fireplace box

We recently had a fire in our fireplace in our single story home and the flue was not open : ( We were burning christmas wrapping paper and the flames hit the top front of the firebox and came out of the fireplace for a couple of minutes before we could get the flue open. It rained for first time since the incident and now we hear a dripping sound on metal. What do you think happend, can this be repaired and do you think home owners insurance would cover the repair costs?

Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 6,791 times
Sounds like dripping on top of firebox inside of the wall? You may have a small leak that is not going to show in the fireplace.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,398,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebatt View Post
We recently had a fire in our fireplace in our single story home and the flue was not open : ( We were burning christmas wrapping paper and the flames hit the top front of the firebox and came out of the fireplace for a couple of minutes before we could get the flue open. It rained for first time since the incident and now we hear a dripping sound on metal. What do you think happend, can this be repaired and do you think home owners insurance would cover the repair costs?
Quote:
Christmas morning in many homes means unwrapping gifts in front of a cozy fireplace. And every year, local fire departments across the country warn people not to toss all that wrapping paper into the flames, for very good reason: It might start a serious chimney fire.
Don't Burn The Gift Wrap : NPR

Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,158 times
Here is there a non bias person to check my fireplace area as I just had a new roof put on and it leaked; I have reserved partial payment until it is corrected, and all the Roofing Contractor wants to do is send me to legal; also learned he didn't pull permits for 5 out of 6 homes in the area. This lame City's Building Permit Office Code enforcer just wants the restitution or 'that other way they do business' >wink< I cannot get a city inspection w/out a the building permit that was not pulled. The Catch 22 situation. I am a senior so I am sending my complaints to the AG and the State Licensing Department. The City's Asst Atty. will not let me know when the hearings are going to be; and this is just one of many issues; I still have gutter guard nailed into my drip edge; nails through my fascia, foot fall everywhere, no aluminum flashing at my roof to all locations and drip edge does not meet the roof on the peaks; gaping holes. Please let me know where I can in the Rockford, Il area find a qualified inspector for my roof
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House