Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times

Advertisements

My 1st floor condo is on a slab. When I moved in the kitchen smelled musty so I have been running a dehumidifier 24/7. I dump it out every day, so that's like a gallon of water. I thought with some consistency it would 'catch up'. But the kitchen still smells musty. this has been an ongoing problem. My landlady once sought to remedy it by putting polyurethane on the laminated cabinets. (she's a little out there)

The exterior wall of the kitchen has a patio on the other side, so there is no flowerbed or lawn or downspout to be putting water along the foundation. At least right there.

I cleaned the cabinets out with a bleachy cleaner before I unpacked. Is there anything else I can do? Please don't say baking soda. We are way beyond baking soda!

The condo is about 1 mile from the intercoastal waterway so I assume we are right at sea level. It may just go with the territory!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 01:22 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Yeah, it sorta does go with the territory.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
My 1st floor condo is on a slab. When I moved in the kitchen smelled musty so I have been running a dehumidifier 24/7. I dump it out every day, so that's like a gallon of water. I thought with some consistency it would 'catch up'. But the kitchen still smells musty. this has been an ongoing problem. My landlady once sought to remedy it by putting polyurethane on the laminated cabinets. (she's a little out there)

The exterior wall of the kitchen has a patio on the other side, so there is no flowerbed or lawn or downspout to be putting water along the foundation. At least right there.

I cleaned the cabinets out with a bleachy cleaner before I unpacked. Is there anything else I can do? Please don't say baking soda. We are way beyond baking soda!

The condo is about 1 mile from the intercoastal waterway so I assume we are right at sea level. It may just go with the territory!
You won't get rid of the moisture unless you run an AC...they tend to dry out the air. What may help the musty odor is keeping that moist air MOVING more. Ventilate spaces as much as you can so air circulates. Ironically, if cabinets are a little "leaky" instead of airtight, it might help. Also, maybe some passive air dehumidifiers would help. Things that absorb moisture from the air in enclosed spaces.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:25 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You won't get rid of the moisture unless you run an AC...they tend to dry out the air. What may help the musty odor is keeping that moist air MOVING more. Ventilate spaces as much as you can so air circulates. Ironically, if cabinets are a little "leaky" instead of airtight, it might help. Also, maybe some passive air dehumidifiers would help. Things that absorb moisture from the air in enclosed spaces.
If you get into a bad pickle, there are companies that can monitor moisture levels for you, bring in huge dehumidifiers for use in the home. You need to get it to a certain moisture level, as per the company readings, to avoid mildew and mold and dampness.

When I lived on the coast had a terrible time with a crawlspace being high moisture, moldy even....Supposedly I was supposed to enclose with plastic but wasn't aware.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:31 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Depending on the cabinets are mounted, you may be able to remove them and check for mold behind and under them. One mile inland, tropical storms and hurricanes may have blasted water into that wall for hours at some point. A gallon a day from a dehumidifier is nothing. An AC dehumidifies and cools and costs about the same to do the same dehumidification.

Old 09-01-2018, 02:44 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I used my AC at low temps around 63 degrees when at the coast. It contributed to the problem by allowing condensation to form...so I was told.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 09-01-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 04:31 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
If it's just the kitchen- and apparently it's been that way for awhile, I'd say there's a leak. Probably a small one either under-slab, or at slab- buried behind/under the cabinet(s).

Fridge? Ice-maker? Another possibility.

But, if this odor is somewhat persistent throughout the unit- you definitely have a leak. Assuming there's no apparent leak; and you are running the A/C at a temp that will remove moisture.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:16 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
You're a MILE from the water? It's not just sea air... I bet there is a leak, or something going on with drainage.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 AM

765 posts, read 474,114 times
i live in a hot, muggy, moisture laden climate in summer.
really humid and muggy. to the point i didn't so much notice any musty smell in my house, but i did see mildew on some of my oil paintings!!!!! and where there is mildew, there will come mold.

So I did a little research and I found Damp Rid. I buy it at my local grocery. Where ever you live, there might be other names for the same kind of product. look 'em up on the web.... i buy mine in bulk. sure you can buy the individual ones, but it will get too expensive. I buy the big big refill bags, you pour it into a cup that has holes in the bottom, put that slightly larger cup over a smaller cup to catch the water..... the damp-rid crystals start to shrink as they take up the water in the air, you will see the water in the bottom cup...... this works just fine for me. I just bought some for the closets too...... it works the same way, but is on a hanger with the pouches that collect the humid water..... it's end of humid/muggy season, so my grocery store had them for half price. So I hope this helps you and I hope you can find a similar product.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:36 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Until you kill the mold, musty won’t go away. Shampoo the carpet with mold & mildew shampoo. Lysol everywhere else. With the dehumidifier, that should really help. You might need to do that frequently if the apartment is a real mold factory. Personally, I’d move if it didn’t clear up after 2 or 3 iterations of cleaning all the surfaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House