Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:55 AM

249 posts, read 879,524 times

Advertisements

Because they are borinng and void of interest. Would you like mine I hate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,832,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mec4U View Post
I have sold 5 homes over the past 17 years. Four of them had maple, oak, and cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and granite countertops, and expensive tile backsplashes. The one house that all my friends, family, and neighbors literally fell in love with was the smallest and the least expensive to renovate, and it sold in one day to the first buyer. It was my little 900 sq.ft. cottage home that was described by 2 interior designers as a "dream house" and a "doll house". Everyone agreed it was the kitchen that took their breath away. I now share with you the secret details that had the town talking.
*White Laminate Thermofoil cabinets ("Harbor" by Diamond cabinets from Lowes);
*Wilsonart formica countertops ("Crystalline Braun" from the NEON collection);
*Tuscan style stonewash backsplash from Lowes
* Walls were painted completetly in red ("Crimson" -Lowes/Valspar Eddie Bauer collection) with a white chair rail around the small dining area off to the side.
*Oak Butterscotch Hardwood Floor (Bruce Hardwood- Model#ABC426-Lowes Item #48113
*All bright white appliances
I had a cabinet on either side of the window made with glass doors as well as a white knick-knack shelf in the dining area on the red wall above the chair rail to showcase some Delpht Blue china pieces.
I am now reloacting and purchasing another little cottage "fixer-upper"at the shore, and I am going to replicate this decorating scheme. Why go with anything else once you've found the secret that knocked everyone's socks off?
Oak floors? Really?
Black and white tile floors would really knock everyones socks off.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,804,258 times
I LOVE white high gloss cabinets (with moulding detail) myself - it's all personal taste I guess, but I concur with the poster that mentioned using white as the backdrop to using the COLOUR in decorator/small items.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM

221 posts, read 796,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
People seem to hate them. I don't get it. For a midlevel priced home, older or somewhat newer, what is wrong with a crisp white cabinet?
Nothing, I love white cabinets. They are hard to maintain, but a fresh coat of paint will make them look brand new. My mother's were in horendous condition, but then again when does she clean lol. I painted them all for her and it made the kitchen look brand new and really bright.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:02 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,076,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mec4U View Post
I have sold 5 homes over the past 17 years. Four of them had maple, oak, and cherry cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and granite countertops, and expensive tile backsplashes. The one house that all my friends, family, and neighbors literally fell in love with was the smallest and the least expensive to renovate, and it sold in one day to the first buyer. It was my little 900 sq.ft. cottage home that was described by 2 interior designers as a "dream house" and a "doll house". Everyone agreed it was the kitchen that took their breath away. I now share with you the secret details that had the town talking.
*White Laminate Thermofoil cabinets ("Harbor" by Diamond cabinets from Lowes);
*Wilsonart formica countertops ("Crystalline Braun" from the NEON collection);
*Tuscan style stonewash backsplash from Lowes
* Walls were painted completetly in red ("Crimson" -Lowes/Valspar Eddie Bauer collection) with a white chair rail around the small dining area off to the side.
*Oak Butterscotch Hardwood Floor (Bruce Hardwood- Model#ABC426-Lowes Item #48113
*All bright white appliances
I had a cabinet on either side of the window made with glass doors as well as a white knick-knack shelf in the dining area on the red wall above the chair rail to showcase some Delpht Blue china pieces.
I am now reloacting and purchasing another little cottage "fixer-upper"at the shore, and I am going to replicate this decorating scheme. Why go with anything else once you've found the secret that knocked everyone's socks off?
LOL. I believe it. We have had several homes and our first house was around 1000 sft. The kitchen was on the small side and sounds like a similar set up to yours. We got the white cabinets from Lowe's, we had oak floors in the dining area of the kitchen and then we installed black and white ceramic tile in the kitchen. I chose adorable cabinet pulls that were silver in color and in the shape of tea pots. I did a stained glass treatment on the top portion of the kitchen windows over the sink and then added white shutters on the lower portion. In the dining section of the kitchen I had cabinets with glass windows where I put all of my dishes. I sold that house back in 2000. It sold in a week. I still have friends and relatives that talk about how cute that kitchen was. White is timeless. I think the mistake some make with white kitchens is not using the white cabinets as an accent color. I have seen white kitchen cabinets paired with white walls, white countertops and beige flooring. The white cabinets need to pop to make them interesting.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,810,401 times
I think disgust is to strong a word. I don't care for white cabinets, but they don't disgust me. It's all just personal taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House