Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,522,053 times

Advertisements

I saw in a European magazine (not in English) two tools I cannot find anywhere. One looks like a screwdriver, but has a drill bit; the other is what I would call a punch - you press it it drills a small hole. Is there something similiar on this side of the Atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 05:28 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
I saw in a European magazine (not in English) two tools I cannot find anywhere. One looks like a screwdriver, but has a drill bit; the other is what I would call a punch - you press it it drills a small hole. Is there something similiar on this side of the Atlantic?

On the US, side, the slot (flat head) screwdrivers are for SAE screws, not metric screws. Also, our screwdrivers are for both left handers and right handers. Same for Philips screwdrivers. The newer models are reversible too.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:25 PM

23,527 posts, read 69,942,587 times
Yankee screwdriver

Old 01-16-2010, 11:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,031,735 times
Quote:
Go to a professional tool supply company that supplies tools to contractors and you can find what you're looking for.

busta

Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,522,053 times
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:21 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,634,120 times
Quote:
What purpose do they serve. I have a set of fractional and numbered drill bits that will fit my srewdrivers with 1/4" hex ends. I don't know why I would use one when I have electric, cordless and hand drills.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,570,102 times
Does it look like this?
file:///C:/Users/Jack/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)http://www.grandapastreasures.com/Resized_yankee%20driver.jpg (broken link)

If so, it's colloquially referred to as a Yankee drill. It has a mechanism that causes the bit to rotate when you push in on the handle. You can use either a drill bit or a screwdriver bit, so that you can not only drill the hole, but also drive in the screw.

This is an old one, but I'm pretty sure they still make and sell them. They're great for small jobs where you don't want to get out your power drill.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:13 PM

24,291 posts, read 25,791,910 times
Yep, Yankee screwdriver. Mine was made by Stanley along time ago. It has now been retired. Just Google it and you will get lots of hits.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 AM

133 posts, read 281,231 times
I learned respect for power tools using my dads as a kid.You can put a bloody hole in your fingers if you don't respect this tool.It was a good lesson before using things that plug in.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:52 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,670,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
What purpose do they serve. I have a set of fractional and numbered drill bits that will fit my srewdrivers with 1/4" hex ends. I don't know why I would use one when I have electric, cordless and hand drills.
One scenario springs to mind...

I would bet I could hole-punch and rivet sheetmetal considerably faster with a yankee drill, hand riveter and a mason jar full of rivets than I could with a cordless drill and power riveter.

I have my dad's old yankee drill (which he got from his father) and still use it from time to time. There are applications where it is simply more convenient and/or faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House