Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:29 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
That is funny. We have bought this house recently and it is the first time ever that I have had to use the plunger, not even sporadically but once a week. Checked the brand and it is Mansfield, had never heard of it before, but was never into toilets either! Asked the local plumber and he says the builder quality toilet is narrow and you have to change them, otherwise you are going to be embarrassed when guests cause flooding (happened already once by the way).
If you buy the bottom model of ANY brand that is what you get. Bottom rung is what most builders install for anything unless it is a custom built home. A spec house will ALWAYS get the bare minimum to get by on and yet "look" decent. I've had American Standard, Kholer, Toyo, Mansfield, Foremost, Eljer,& Gerber back-up before. Not brand, but rather the overall build of the toilet seems to be the over-riding factor in how well they work. (Brother is a Master Plumber and I used to go with him when he needed a hand)

American Standard produces a staggering amount of toilets and have models that range from great flushers to ones I wouldn't want to try and flush down a lone piece of TP in one try.

Mansfield EL -- simple, cheap, works as well as toilets costing 3 or 4 times as much every time.

Not the one I was thinking of, but here is a Excel based table of different toilets and how well they work. I personally think the amount flushed in a single flush is more important than the "Efficiency ratio". If you live in a high place where water costs are high, you may think differently. toilets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 02:17 PM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I don't think a toilet is just a toilet. We had gotten used to having one of our two toilets out of commission almost all the time, a plunger by each one, and replacing the insides over and over. Then when I remodeled I found Terry Love (you can google his name) who has a site devoted to DIY stuff and toilets in particular. I followed his advice and ended up with Toto's..Drake II ADA height w/elongated soft close seat. Perfection.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:49 AM

133 posts, read 282,177 times
People are born,and people die.In between they use the bathroom alot.Therefore a good toilet is,....priceless.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
We just remodeled and I got rid of an older baby blue American Standard crapper. That was a great toilet- better stand up when you flush or it'd suction your arse to the seat, lol.

Anyway- going to get another AS in white to replace it, however I was telling the guys at the floor and paint store about having to get rid of this old beast (yeah- we talk about these things ) and one guy said "We have a porcelain paint that would've worked great on that!"

Had I known, the beast would've gotten a makeover and not a sledgehammer..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:22 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
"Is a toilet just a toilet?"
I guess that depends on who you ask or what you're looking at. For example you could be looking at this-JEMAL WRIGHT BATH DESIGNS# (specifically the third one on the second row) but it could be any of them.

There all functioning toilets. But they're not JUST a toilet.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:30 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
what brand adds more value to the house?
LOL!
Toilets are like wheels and tires on an automobile- they are just excepted to be there. And the only toilet I've ever seen anyone ever get overjoyed about was a Toto. And I think that had more to do with the price tag than it's function.

I guess it's all going to the crapper now!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:22 AM

658 posts, read 2,006,118 times
Our city gave away up to 3 free toilets with a 1.28 flush that has no flapper. Water pours into a tray and the side mounted handle tips the tray when pushed down. In 2 years we have never had a clog and very few times felt the need to flush twice. Sure has saved on our water bill.

Flapperless toilet ecologic | Niagara Conservation

Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM

286 posts, read 1,366,701 times
Feel free to search these other sites as well... they have a lot of discussions on crappers:

Terry Love's Plumbing Q's answered (this is a toilet forum):
Toilet Forum discussions

The Plumber's Forum:
Award winning plumbing, kitchen, water and bath help, discussion, problems (and problem solving), questions (and questions answered) and advice forum = Plbg.com

.. and lastly, the DIY Plumbing forum:
Plumbing - DIY Chatroom - DIY Home Improvement Forum

hope this helps. We have an Elger and a Kohler. The Kohler backs up a lot, the Elger doesn't.

It's not just a toilet, BTW, it's a throne! LOL

Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Be careful with the old-tech almond ones, you can sell them to someone who prefers the old technology that always works...

Old 01-19-2010, 03:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusibius2 View Post
We have an Elger and a Kohler. The Kohler backs up a lot, the Elger doesn't.
On the corollary, the Eljer my folks have backs up a lot; the Caroma dual-flush they replaced one of them with ... it can clear a light #2 even on the 0.8 gallon "half-flush".

Design has a huge impact on performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Be careful with the old-tech almond ones, you can sell them to someone who prefers the old technology that always works...
Old technology ... that would be gravity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House