Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:28 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,268,091 times

Advertisements

EscapeTacoma and PlaidMom, both of your homes are absolute dreams come true! I find it hard to believe that so few people actually like Tudors, Victorians, Bungalows, Gothics, Colonials, etc. People around here wet their pants for neighborhoods that look like THIS:

Where's the character and charm in these homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM

323 posts, read 1,965,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Where's the character and charm in these homes?
I never plan to own a home with a garage integral to the house - yuck!

We're pretty much homebodies so our home is important to us. For many people, though, it's little more than a place to crash and to store the things that define their life. Their choice, and it means less price pressure on the homes that I love! It's hard to believe how little these beautiful homes sell for in the midwest.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,076,497 times
One thing to remember SWB, is that my house "was" the McMansion of it's day. The old "inner city" starts one block to the south (houses from the 1800's-early 1900's). Its great fun to read the old city history. My house was completed in summer of 1929---if you know your history that is veddy veddy interesting.

I have to say PrettyHateMachine's post gives me goosebumps. The town in which I live is kind of renowned for modern architecture.

The "house-we-didn't-buy" had a butterfly roof, pristine cork-tiled floors and a kitchen straight out of the Jetsons.

Today, I returned books and movies in a public library designed by I.M. Pei, deposited my checks in a bank by Eero Saarinen and then headed to my SO's office, designed by Harry Weese.

I love great design. Any era.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:46 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,326,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I have to say PrettyHateMachine's post gives me goosebumps. The town in which I live is kind of renowned for modern architecture.

The "house-we-didn't-buy" had a butterfly roof, pristine cork-tiled floors and a kitchen straight out of the Jetsons.

Today, I returned books and movies in a public library designed by I.M. Pei, deposited my checks in a bank by Eero Saarinen and then headed to my SO's office, designed by Harry Weese.

I love great design. Any era.
I'm envious.

When I move to Texas, I'll be looking to buy a 50s modern or 60s ranch. It won't be an Eichler or Cliff May , but it will be nice. I'll lay a stained black concrete floor thru out the entire home, knock a few walls down, add some MCM repro, vintage, and a sprinkling of Ikea furniture and kitchen, and I'll be set to go. I can't wait.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,079 times
That's so weird how people like such different things...
I wouldn't live in most of those houses if you gave them to me!!!
Well, if it meant I wouldn't have to work I guess I'd do it, but certainly not dream homes!!!
I can't/don't have patience to posts pics on here, but dream home would be one story HUGE (5000+ more like 8-10k sq fter!!!) with about 2 miles of private beach somewhere on the SE coast of FL. Now if it had a couple hundred acres of land behind it too- THAT'S a dream home!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 09:02 AM

323 posts, read 1,965,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
That's so weird how people like such different things...
I don't find it so much strange as refreshing - we're not all the same.

I'm glad that a lot of people want to live in Florida or Southern California since they won't be bidding up homes in places where I'd willingly live (for the record I was stationed in both places - never again!)

Quote:
I can't/don't have patience to posts pics on here, but dream home would be one story HUGE (5000+ more like 8-10k sq fter!!!) with about 2 miles of private beach somewhere on the SE coast of FL. Now if it had a couple hundred acres of land behind it too- THAT'S a dream home!!!!!!
And I'm worried about rattling around in 3800 ft^2

Old 02-24-2007, 09:02 AM

13,562 posts, read 21,315,881 times
my dream home?

1# 2 dobermanns
2# 2 cats
3# a 2 or 3 car garage
4# a very dirty minded curvy voluptuous wife yet responsible and faithful ..."cough"
5# a large patio with jacuzzi(refer to #4)
6# a rehersal room for my band
7# close to a city with nightlife for the band to play
8# close to a city for work(winning a lotto excluded,although #4 could be considered winning a lotto)
9# a "my room" for my outdoor stuff,she can have a "her room"...though refer to #4" my" and "her" room would tend to be "our" rooms more often
#10...a lake scenery would be nice

oh let me add 11#...the house paid off!

looking at my list,most are attainable to me in the near future,the only one that might be in question is that lottery one if 'ya know what I mean tehehe.

Last edited by lionking; 02-24-2007 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,594,673 times
A big two story Victorian with a large wrap around porch and swing. Large green lawn all around and several acres of woods for the deer, small creek or brook nearby. Large garden, flowers, etc. Maybe down in the Hill Country!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
my dream home?

1# 2 dobermanns
2# 2 cats
3# a 2 or 3 car garage
4# a very dirty minded curvy voluptuous wife yet responsible and faithful ..."cough"
5# a large patio with jacuzzi(refer to #4)
6# a rehersal room for my band
7# close to a city with nightlife for the band to play
8# close to a city for work(winning a lotto excluded,although #4 could be considered winning a lotto)
9# a "my room" for my outdoor stuff,she can have a "her room"...though refer to #4" my" and "her" room would tend to be "our" rooms more often
#10...a lake scenery would be nice

oh let me add 11#...the house paid off!

looking at my list,most are attainable to me in the near future,the only one that might be in question is that lottery one if 'ya know what I mean tehehe.

LOLLL. Nahhhhhh. Forget the lotto. I think you need more dogs and cats!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:09 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,082,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I'll take a house like the second one gizmo posted only in Maggie Valley North Carolina.
Oh, I would love to be your neighbor there in a similar mountain chalet!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House