Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 11:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times

Advertisements

Best bet is a fully mechanical commercial type like Speed Queen. If you are handy, they will last forever.

With any of them mechanical is better than electronic controls. The fewer bells and whistles the better. Avoid silly things like a steam or sanitizing cycle. The more electronics and the more sensors, computers etc, the more stuff will break. Keep it simple. The $2000 washing machines are for people who want their friends to see their washing machine and be impressed and who have plenty of money to replace or repair them. The purpose of a washing machine it to clean your clothing. You do not need the internet for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 11:13 AM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Best bet is a fully mechanical commercial type like Speed Queen. If you are handy, they will last forever.

With any of them mechanical is better than electronic controls. The fewer bells and whistles the better. Avoid silly things like a steam or sanitizing cycle. The more electronics and the more sensors, computers etc, the more stuff will break. Keep it simple. The $2000 washing machines are for people who want their friends to see their washing machine and be impressed and who have plenty of money to replace or repair them. The purpose of a washing machine it to clean your clothing. You do not need the internet for that.
I recently bought a Speed Queen washer.

I am happy so far. The only thing I do not like is the lid lock. There are no children in my house who could be injured by a clothes washer. I would like for it to be easier to add a forgotten item to a load.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:16 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,929,561 times
ASKO
https://www.askona.com

Old 10-16-2019, 01:49 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Default Which do you prefer, top load washers or front loaders?

Typically I prefer top loaders (especially standard ones with the agitators) over front loaders because top loaders are less prone to mildew and odor than front loaders. Plus they don’t nearly wash as long as front loaders and front loaders tend to wash a long time, slightly more than HE top loaders, and they use slightly less water than HE top loaders and much less water than standard top loaders.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:56 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,432 times
This topic seems to be discussed just about anytime we get any questions about washers.

Here's a pretty long thread on it from last year if you want to see what people are thinking:

//www.city-data.com/forum/house...-good-bad.html

Old 10-16-2019, 03:51 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
We love our front load washer, but we do have to run a cleaning cycle every week. My front load dryer is about 2.5 feet away and at the same height so moving clothes from washer to dryer is a breeze.

Old 10-16-2019, 03:58 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
I love a front load washer and dryer. I have really bad asthma its so much easier to get the clothes out of a front loader. When i have breathing problems its difficult to get clothes out if a top loader.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:40 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
Default Help buying a new washing machine...

My biggest concern is that it's Energy Star rated for the purpose of being efficient with water. We live on a low yielding well so that's an absolute must. I never had a front load machine and haven't heard the best things about them but it looks like that is what most of the most water efficient machines are.

Tell me about your experience with your washer/brand?

Old 10-18-2019, 08:56 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
If you are concerned about water usage, then you should be looking at the "integrated water factor" number for the machine and "annual water use".
See https://www.energystar.gov/productfi...ashers/results

My personal experiences are with:
* Bosch full-size front loader. No longer sold in the USA. It was an excellent washer, but we foolishly left it behind when we moved.
* LG (disguised as a Kenmore) full-size front loader. Did a good job washing. But, when the control board died after 6 years, the authorized LG repair people said: "but a new washer as we can't get the control board".
* Miele compact washer is our current machine. We are a 2-person household so its size is fine for us. We love it. The TwinDos detergent dispensing system is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House