Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,800,419 times

Advertisements

Copper is not exactly a precious metal. Spot prices are a little over $3 a POUND and the riser from a shut off to a faucet is probably 4 or 5 oz...

Copper will NOT corrode with any kind of normal potable water. This is why it has been used for water for CENTURIES.

The only advantage of the braided type hook-ups under a normal sink or toilet is speed of hook up -- they sell sizes that are long enough to twist and go.

The inner hose is rubber and IT WILL EVENTUALLY FAIL, though in most applications you need not plan on replacement for 5-10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 12:36 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,565,759 times
where can you buy copper supply lines that bend into place between the faucet and the shut off valve?

Basically I put in a 1/2 inch copper pipe through the wall, and I want to hook it up to an old faucet with a 1/2" male thread using copper.

My problem is I want to be able to unscrew & remove the faucet without having to cut the copper and re-solder everything. Really have no idea how to make that link

Last edited by BlakeJones; 09-08-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:45 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,800,419 times
Default In any normal plumbing supply house...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
where can you buy copper supply lines that bend into place between the faucet and the shut off valve?
...there are a dozen or so places that sell plumbing supplies from their "will call" desk within a short drive for me. I live in suburban Chicago. No idea how things are in NYC; would not surprise if you need a license to even buy supplies given the level of regulation NYC is infamous for...

These guys have an attractive web site but no ability to order online -- Locations | Solco Plumbing Supply

You need 20 ft? Try this -- https://www.zoro.com/mueller-industr...0p/i/G0539463/

That stuff is not swagged at the end, the fancy stuff is available in nickel, chrome, brass etc -- http://www.signaturehardware.com/bat...orrugated.html

Old 09-08-2016, 04:24 PM

17,386 posts, read 65,404,245 times
Quote:

Basically I put in a 1/2 inch copper pipe through the wall, and I want to hook it up to an old faucet with a 1/2" male thread using copper.

My problem is I want to be able to unscrew & remove the faucet without having to cut the copper and re-solder everything. Really have no idea how to make that link

Why can't you use plastic "riser tubes"? Helluva lot cheaper!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 PM

10,210 posts, read 19,061,642 times
Quote:

Nothing wrong with the plastic ones, but if you really want copper you just use copper tubing and put the right fittings on it. Usually 3/8" compression on the shutoff valve end, in your case (and usually) 1/2 female NPT on the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House